cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Oily Skin
|
Anonymous Insider

Facial oil for oily skin

I was recently told that one of the best things to do for oily skin is to use an oil at night that is considered a "dry" oil. People said it will not make my face greasy but it will provide the right amount of oil my face needs (so it doesn't get dehydrated and produce excess oil). I thought the idea was genius so I went online and ordered organic rose hip oil from amazon. I have noticed that while my skin is much softer, it's not less oily. This confuses me because I saw so many posts explaining how that product was their "holy grail" for their oily skin. I'm thinking since I've only been using it for a week maybe I should give it more time? Should I try another "dry" oil such as witch hazel or primrose? Or should I steer away from using oil altogether? And does anyone have any idea why it isn't working? The only factor I think could be contributing to my oiliness is that I live in Central Florida, which is very humid and I guess my genetics? Lol any advice is greatly appreciated 🙂

Re: Facial oil for oily skin

Hi LEXI850, 

I had a super oily t-zone and I can say that  using oils has really helped! 

One of the things I like to do with any facial oil is to mix a drop or two with my moisturizer in the morning, but then at night, I apply 4-6 drops separately from my moisturizer. If I look a little extra shiny at night, well, so be it 😛

My personal favorite has been the Sunday Riley U.F.O. Ultra-Clarifying Face Oil since it's also been helping me keep breakouts at bay, and it plays well with my moisturizer. 

Bisous, 

Sian

Anonymous Insider

Thank you! Apparently the Kukui nut oil is what helps with oil production in that product so I'll try that first since it's cheaper and if that doesn't work I'll save up for the product:)

The rest of your skincare routine will play a huge role in how your skin absorbs products. What is the rest of your routine like? What do you use to cleanse?

If you are not properly cleansing, your skin won't absorb the oil properly. In addition, if your skin is oily due to damage from harsh cleansing products, any oil you apply, in addition to your naturally produced oils, will end up just "sitting on top" of your skin.

Face oils have made me less oily over the last couple of years. It definitely works, but oils are NOT a miracle product... you will probably need to improve your routine overall to see results!

Of course I can't respond @k617. It'll all work one day. 

Yes, it was me who had the issue with Rosewater and Josh Rosebrook. I don't know if I "love" that stuff yet. We'll see. 

I do like Lapis Oil from Herbivore as well. Anything with Blue Tansy is amazing to me! 

Anonymous Insider

I use Renee Rouleau's AHA/BHA Blemish Control Cleanser which contains the ingredients :

• Salicylic Acid - exfoliating BHA to clear acne-causing congestion from deep within the pores.
  • Lactic Acid - exfoliating AHA to fade post-breakout scarring.
  • Hawaiian Red Marine Algae - gives comforting hydration to sensitive, irritated skin.
  • Mangosteen Peel Extract - natural anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties.
  • Papaya Fruit Extract - enzyme to reveal brighter skin.
  • Jojoba Beads - gentle skin polisher to lift discoloration.

I use this cleanser then follow with a toner and then a water based moisturizer and rose water spray. Thank you so much for the advice!

I second Herbivore's Lapis oil. I normally have oily skin too, but I found that after using the Lapis oil for a week or so, the oil levels receded quite a bit. I would give it a try!

Anonymous Insider

Thank you so so much! I'm so happy to be able to figure this out with other people helping me because it's so complicated to figure out. Seriously, thank you so much:) I can't wait to switch oils! @k617

I don't know anything about the cleanser so I can't comment further. I will just say that AHA/BHA in a cleanser is likely not as nearly effective as using a product you leave on with AHA and BHA... the cleanser contacts your skin for < 1 minute and is washed off. It probably prevents the active ingredients from doing anything since washing with water will raise the pH of your skin! In addition, as a precaution, algae is known to clogged pores.

For oily skin, if you want a chemical exfoliation product I'd recommend a BHA product like Paula's Choice 2% BHA liquid. You will probably have to work it in slowly in your routine since my skin reacted to it a bit when I first added it in my routine, but now I use it daily in the morning. It should help penetrate and clean your pores, and in the long run help with oil production.

Also agree with mrsbaine's post below that rose hip is not the best oil type for oily skin...jojoba is a good choice, and diluted tea tree oil is also a good choice (I think directly applying tea tree oil all over will be too harsh). If you are able, try obtaining a sample of Herbivore's Lapis oil...it is formulated for oily skin and I'm 90% through my bottle which has lasted me almost 2 years.

@mrsbaine was it you or someone else that tried to use a new product (Josh Rosebrook?) over rosewater spray and the new product didn't absorb properly?

Is the oil you bought 100% Rose Hip Oil, or is there something else in it? I've always used Rosehip for added hydration. It may not be the right oil for you. Tea Tree Oil is a nice oil for oily/acne prone skin. Also (my personal fave) jojoba oil is great for oily skin. It's really light but sinks in nicely. 

Anonymous Insider

yes it's 100% rose hip. Thank you so much for the advice!

Conversation Stats
  • 11 replies
  • 8 Hearts Given
  • 5 Contributors
testing