Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Oily Skin
|

Effects of the Tatcha Water Cream?!

For those of you oily/combo skin people who have used the tatcha water cream before do you think it makes your face look more oily?? I recently started a new regimen — I've switched my belif aqua bomb for this cream — so I'm not too sure if this is what's causing me to look [and even wake up] so oily but I'm pretty sure it's not the Mario badescu cleanser or the caudalie vinoperfect serum... Please let me know your experience with that moisturizer!
Anonymous Insider

Re: Effects of the Tatcha Water Cream?!

Hello I am 32 years old with very oily skin with acne pretty much all over. Mario Badescu products are terrible! I tried the acne kit and I got a horrible reaction day 1! They have alcohol in almost all of the products in that kit which amplifies oiliness! From tons of experimenting I have found products with alcohol and sulfates further irritate my skin so I read the ingredients in EVERYTHING before I put it on my face. Face wash, toner,  moisturizer, foundation, primer, etc. Esp products that target acne or oily skin. I have since discovered the Body Shop tea tree moisturizer and it works amazing! It has actually transformed my skin from oily to dry/combo. Its not very moisturizing fyi but since I dont wear makeup very often I use that 1 during the day and a more moisturizing face cream for more dry skin at night and The Body Shop tea tree oil spot treatment.

Anonymous Insider

Hello I am 32 years old with very oily skin with acne pretty much all over. Mario Badescu products are terrible! I tried the acne kit and I got a horrible reaction day 1! They have alcohol in almost all of the products in that kit which amplifies oiliness! From tons of experimenting I have found products with alcohol and sulfates further irritate my skin so I read the ingredients in EVERYTHING before I put it on my face. Face wash, toner,  moisturizer, foundation, primer, etc. Esp products that target acne or oily skin. I have since discovered the Body Shop tea tree moisturizer and it works amazing! It has actually transformed my skin from oily to dry/combo. Its not very moisturizing fyi but since I dont wear makeup very often I use that 1 during the day and a more moisturizing face cream for more dry skin at night and The Body Shop tea tree oil spot treatment.

i have oily skin and still get zits at 35 (!) but this never gives me zits, at least if you are sure never to use it in acne prone areas (for me, my jawline and chin). i really needed the perfect moisturizer as i hit mid-30's and this is a miracle, i look so much younger (no bs). it's expensive but there's a lot so i'm hoping it lasts a long time. only use it where you need it (for me, forehead and mouth). this is amaze!

ycnp33 wrote:
For those of you oily/combo skin people who have used the tatcha water cream before do you think it makes your face look more oily?? I recently started a new regimen — I've switched my belif aqua bomb for this cream — so I'm not too sure if this is what's causing me to look [and even wake up] so oily but I'm pretty sure it's not the Mario badescu cleanser or the caudalie vinoperfect serum... Please let me know your experience with that moisturizer!

I have come to prefer belif moisturizer because it is coconut-free and I'm allergic to coconut, it's so hard to find products like that. I love both moisturizers but belif is more affordable and I need it for my allergies. 

@ycnp33 - I currently use Tatcha Water Cream.  My skin loves it.  It's the first moisturizer I've used that doesn't sit on my skin.  Are you using a "pearl size" amount as the instructions say?  When I accidentally used more than that, it left behind a sticky residue.

For me, Belief Aqua Bomb sat on my skin.  It did not absorb regardless of how much or little I used.  Everyone's skin is different, isn't it?  Guess that's why there are so many different products!

RE: Re: Effects of the Tatcha Water Cream?!

@Titan06 I had a sample of it so I just took some product in 2-3 fingers — maybe that was a lot too? When I was in New Jersey this past winter my cheeks got really dry [at least too dry for what my skin usually is lol] and the aqua bomb helped me through it, but I think I should something else for the summer time! Do you have any recommendations for something lightweight but hydrating?

@Titian06 ooh yeah I've been wanting to try out that fresh face cream for so long! So I went to Sephora today and an employee recommended the korres pomegranate balancing cream for oily combo skin. I've been using its night cream for months now so let's see if this one is as good!

Re: RE: Re: Effects of the Tatcha Water Cream?!

@ycnp33 - I haven't tried a lot, but the only other moisturizer that I liked enough to use the entire jar is Fresh Lotus Youth Preserve Face Cream With Super 7 Complex.  There's also a lotion version that's supposed to be lighter.  I actually tried the Fresh and Aqua Bomb side by side at the store (the SA recommended both).  There was something about the texture of the product and how my skin felt with the Fresh that sold me on that one.

I sampled the Boscia Green Tea Oil-Free Moisturizer in store; that one seems nice.  It's on my loves list, but I discovered the Water Cream first.  It's possible this one may be better for summer and the Fresh may work better in the winter.

These are my thoughts.  I definitely recommend samples if you live near a Sephora or SiJCP.

@Titian06 ^ sorry I spelled your username wrong!

I suspect your cleanser is making your oiliness worse.

Which Mario Badescu cleanser are you using? I looked at 5 cleansers' ingredient list and 4 out of 5 of them had isopropyl alcohol or sodium lauryl sulphate listed near or at the very top of the list.

Did you know that these are two very harsh and drying ingredients for your skin, no matter how oily you are? You can be stripping your skin of all oils, and without proper moisture replenishment (I am not a fan of the Belif or "water" serums/creams for oily skin - I have combo skin myself and these are not enough) your skin could get damaged over time. Damaged skin can lead to oily skin as your skin can't reabsorb the oil it produces so it just sits on top.

I also doubt Mario Badescu's cleansers are pH balanced considering the harsh ingredients. Throwing off your skin's natural pH balance (should be pH 5-6) is another cause of oily skin. 

@k617 I'm using the Glycolic foaming cleaner along with its glycolic toner. Do you think the toner might be another cause of the oiliness? Also which moisturizers would you suggest that aren't heavy but hydrating enough? I've been wanting to try the Fresh lotus face cream — but is that more for normal to dry combo skin?

Re: RE: Re: Effects of the Tatcha Water Cream?!

The first ingredient of the glycolic foaming cleanser is sodium lauryl sulfate. So, I'd definitely say yes on that one. This cleanser wasn't even using the derivative, gentler version sodium laureth sulfate. This is the real deal BAD.This cleanser is mostly made of a harsh surfactant...you're consistently stripping your skin of all its natural oils. I daresay that it's possible you're on your way to damaging your skin's natural moisture barrier if you continue using. I'd highly recommend doing a search on SLS and reading up on it.

I've always recommended this to anyone asking for a good facial moisturizer--facial oil. It might not make sense, but the key is finding the right facial oil that your skin can absorb well. Jojoba, blue tansy, squalane - these are all good options for oilier skin. I started using a face oil 2 years ago and my skin has improved so much in terms of oiliness. 

I layer a hydrating serum and a face oil (currently trying out Clinique Supercharged and The Ordinary Buffet for serum, I have a few face oils in rotation) and this is hydrating enough for super dry climate in the Canadian Prairies. 

In the winter, my skin likes the added moisture of Dr. Jart+ Ceramidin Cream, or Dr. Jart+ Cicapair.

I looked up ingredients of the Tatcha Water Cream and I see a lot of silicones and slip agents. Other ingredients look OK, there are some moisturizing ingredients too. Probably feels moisturizing, but your skin is better off with some real moisturization and nothing does it better than oils (IMO). If it truly works for you, I'd keep using as all of our skin is different...but if the cream feels like it's making your skin oily, I'd actually look at what you're using to clean, first. 

@Titian06 @ycnp33

@k617 - I am not a fan of belief's products.  I have combo/oily skin and Tatcha Water Cream is the first moisturizer (no exaggeration) that I've found that actually soaks in and doesn't sit on my face and/or leave a residue.

What moisturizer do you use and what do you recommend?  I'm curious because if there is something else that will work or that is better I'm open too it!  In addition, during the winter my face will get much drier.  I don't know how the Water Cream will work then.

@Titian06 I think in this case, it comes down to preference - hence I said, if you like it and it works for you, keep using it.

I don't like silicones and slip agents in my moisturizer because they only make my skin feel moisturized. I don't feel that my skin really ever absorbs these...they kind of sit on top and keeps my skin from losing moisture whereas with an oil or a truly moisturizing serum, my skin drinks it up and it nourishes my skin. With a siliconey cream, if I wash it off I feel like I have to immediately put on another layer of moisturizer, but with face oils, my skin feels so well nourished that it can hold its own for awhile with minimal help. 

I would say my skin looks better now than it did 2-3 years ago, thanks to a better skin care routine with attention paid to ingredients, and not fearing oils. As long as you find one that works for you, and one that is not prone to clogging pores (coconut oil is an example of an oil that is more likely to clog pores), it can do wonders. My skin is also much brighter and smoother now, something that I felt like slippery moisturizers could not give me--radiance.

Another thing is bang for your buck. The Tatcha water cream is $82 CAD up here in Canada, and a jar would probably last me max 6 months with daily use. I can pay $8 CAD less and get a bottle of Herbivore Lapis oil ($74 CAD) which is perfect for my skin and the bottle has lasted me 2 years. I did stop using it for a few months, but since mid 2016 I've been using this oil every single day. 

In general, I feel like Tatcha products are really, really overpriced for what they are...but then again, there are many more products out there that are probably way more $$ and less effective (like the La Mer cream, which is ridiculous). As I said, keep using it if you like it, but I would not be surprised if you can get just as great results from an oil that agrees with your skin.

Also, I was oily/combo before using an oil, and since I started using oils in my routine, my skin has become better at regulating oil production and I'm less oily throughout the day. When I still wore foundation, most of my foundations wore 16+ hours on me without blotting, powdering, or any sort of touch ups. 

@k617 - Is there a problem with silicones and slip agents?  What is "real moisturization" (besides oil)?  

I'm asking because I because I don't know.  I'm from a generation that didn't moisturize oily skin and no one ever heard of facial oils.  Now that my skin is combo/oily, but much less oily, and there is so much more knowledge behind skin care, I know I need help.  However, the thought of putting oil on my skin is horrifying for me!  BTW, I couldn't reply directly to your response.

RE: Effects of the Tatcha Water Cream?!

The watercream did the same thing to me. It made me more oily. I have contemplating trying the gel moisturizer by tatcha instead.

@ycnp33

So it sounds like you changed your entire skincare routine at once? Never a good idea...introduce new products one at a time, so that you can tell exactly which one is causing issues. I'd consider going back to as much of your old routine as possible so you have a baseline to start with, then slowly add in the Caudalie, Tatcha, etc, with at least a week in between each item so that you can gauge the effects of each independently.

Folks can give you their experiences with a product, but in the end, the only way you'll know for sure is to figure out what's causing the issue *for you*.

Good luck 🙂

Yes, I had a very similar experience! I also have combo/oily skin, and I had been using Belif Aqua Bomb, which I still like, but I read rave reviews about the Tatcha Water Cream, so I picked up a sample and used it for a couple of days, but I always felt like it left me with an oily sheen afterwards, which I thought was weird because it's oil-free. I've also used that Caudalie serum before, but it never made my skin feel oily--I simply stopped it because I didn't see any benefits. So yes, the Water Cream definitely made my skin feel and look more oily too. 

Ahh thank god I'm not alone in this haha! I was trying a sample too but I did buy the best sellers kit so would have to return it. Ugh I really wanted it to work though 😞
1 Reply
Conversation Stats
  • 19 replies
  • 22 Hearts Given
  • 8 Contributors
testing