Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Oily Skin
Anonymous Insider

Cleanser/ moisturize for oily skin

I have unbearably oily skin. Nothing I do can fix it. Every type of oily skin product I tried just made my face oilier. Could anyone recommend me a cleanser or anything else to combat my oily skin? Thank you!

Re: Cleanser/ moisturize for oily skin

Hi @Anonymous

I have oily skin too and it drives me crazy sometimes (especially during these warmer months). After hearing that drying out my skin can lead to more oil, I’ve tried to be more gentle with my skin.  I like using the Philosophy Purity Made Simple Cleanser because it’s soft and creamy on my skin and still gets the job done. I’ve also been using the Laneige Water Sleeping Mask at night to help hydrate my skin. It feels so good and make my skin so soft! I still experience some shine throughout the day but these have helped me make it more bearable. 

https://www.sephora.com/product/purity-made-simple-P7109?skuId=932434&icid2=products%20grid:p7109

https://www.sephora.com/product/water-sleeping-mask-P420651?skuId=1966241&icid2=laneige_lp_sleeping_beauty_masks_carousel_ca:p420651

Anonymous Insider

RE: Re: Cleanser/ moisturize for oily skin

I’ll try those out thank you!

RE: Cleanser/ moisturize for oily skin

@Anonymous I used to have extremely oily/dehydrated skin. Products geared towards oily will definitely over-dry your skin and cause it to produce more oil. Instead, use gentle, hydrating products. At the drugstore, the CeraVe Hydrating Cleanser is amazing. Follow up with an alocohol free toner or essence and a light moisturizer and SPF. Clay masks inbetween are great for unclogging pores as well as an acid toner. Pixi’s Glow Tonic is very affordable and will exfoliate and help balance your skin’s pH levels. Don’t be scared to use rosehip seed oil at night either. You’re going to sleep so it doesn’t matter how shiny your face is. By morning, you’ll be hydrated, plump and in time...oil free. ❤️❤️❤️
Anonymous Insider

What light moisturizer would you recommend? I don’t really know many good products haha.
Anonymous Insider

I’m going to try those thank you!

I agree with @quspork about the light hydrators and serums. My face was over-producing oil because it was dehydrated and layering water-based toners and essences before treatments and moisturizers really helped normalize my skin.

I start with a balm cleanser (banila co. Cleant It Zero Purity or Clinique Take The Day Off Cleansing Balm) that will attract oil to it so it can be washed away with a rinse and my second cleanse, usually CeraVe Foaming Facial Cleanser for Normal to Oily Skin since it's super gentle, doesn't strip, and has some good skin-loving ingredients. After that it's toning with an aloe-based, alcohol free toner but I pat it into my skin using my hands 2-3 times before going on to essences, treatments, etc. 

My two favorite moisturizers are the CosRx Oil Free Ultra Moisturizing Lotion with Birch Sap and the Blithe Crystal Iceplant Pressed Serum. Using all these in combination for the past 5 months has really calmed my oil/sebum production but it only took a few weeks of a regular routine to see and feel the difference.

Love the CosRx birch sap lotion! It's my favorite morning moisturizer! 

I would avoid anything foaming because while it may temporarily feel good, it's going to likely strip your skin too much and make it want to product more oil. 

A couple I like are the Josie Maran Argan Cleaning Oil, Philosophy Purity Made Simple Cleanser, and First Aid Beauty Face Cleanser.

What's your current routine, @Anonymous? Some game changers that have helped with my oily skin include regular use of clay masks, using light hydrating serums and toners in both my morning and evening routines, and adding facial oils to my evening moisturizers. I can still be slightly oily, especially in the summer, but it's nothing like it used to be and my skin even errs on the side of normal quite often now. 

Anonymous Insider

RE: Re: Cleanser/ moisturize for oily skin

I don’t really have a set routine. I bounce around a lot trying to find the right cleanser. Right now I use a biore charcoal cleanser. Alba botanical astringent and a garnier gel moisturizer.

Re: RE: Re: Cleanser/ moisturize for oily skin

That sounds like a big reason for the oil then. That charcoal cleanser and astringent are both harsh and likely stripping your skin of it's moisture causing it to overproduce oil in return. I'd recommend using a gentle cream cleanser like Philosophy Purity or First Aid Beauty Facial Cleanser. 

Conversation Stats
  • 11 replies
  • 8 Hearts Given
  • 6 Contributors
testing