Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Oily Skin
|

Best primers for oily skin???

I need help!  I've been on the hunt for a primer that will help control my oils, especially on my t-zone (I'm looking at you nose!) and ideally it would also help minimize the appearance of pores (but this is secondary). Although it must not make them look bigger.  I've used the following and they haven't worked out for me either because they didn't control oil, they made me more oily or they broke me out!

Naughty list (and not the good kind of naughty):

Dr. Brandt Pores No more (illuminating) - broke me out in tiny little pimples (must have something that doesn't agree with my skin)

Hourglass Veil Mineral - broke me out in tiny little pimples

Bare Minerals Prime Time Primer - made me more oily

Milk Blur Stick - didn't do anything

UD Optical Illusion Complexion Primer - made me more oily

And maybe 1-2 others that I can't remember at the time.

Also, I don't like the silicone feel, so I haven't even dared trying Benefit's Porefessional or any others that feel like that.

Your suggestions are greatly appreciated!

RE: Best primers for oily skin???

Becca matte primer!

Re: Best primers for oily skin???

Thanks you all for your suggestions!  I have quite a few to try out and hopefully I will find one that works for me.  I currently have samples of:

Makeup Forever Mattifying Primer

Nars Pore & Shine Control Primer

Laura Mercier OIl Free Primer

Urban Decay De-Slick Primer

I''ll provide an update on how these work out for me.  And then, I will also try out the ones you guys have recommended .

Wish me luck!

The urban decay de-slick is good but applying it can be annoying when white flakes come off 😕 but it works once you get past the annoying white flakes

b3autygrl wrote:

Thanks you all for your suggestions!  I have quite a few to try out and hopefully I will find one that works for me.  I currently have samples of:

Makeup Forever Mattifying Primer

Nars Pore & Shine Control Primer

Laura Mercier OIl Free Primer

Urban Decay De-Slick Primer

I''ll provide an update on how these work out for me.  And then, I will also try out the ones you guys have recommended .

Wish me luck!

Anonymous Insider

I use one by sephora!

I use one by sephora!

Try the Algenist Pore Correcting Anti-Aging primer! It's the best I've used so far, keeps my oil at bay for hours without setting spray.

Re: RE: Best primers for oily skin???

Thanks @allybriegel!  I'm loving Algenist's  Genius Liquid Collagen, so definitely going to try this out.

I have the same issue, I tried the makeup forever HD primer and hated it. So as of today, I tried the Laura Mercier Oil Free Primer. So far it's not bad, but I did still have to try blotting papers after several hours of. However, it is a creamy texture and is not drying to the skin, so so far it's out I rate it ann 8 out of 10. So maybe try a sample and tell me what you think. 

Hi @Bree20!

Yes, I just recently tried it once and it didn't feel it did much for me unfortunately 😞 . I will try it again to give it another chance.  Thanks!!

Anytime, I'm honestly tempered to try that Too faced primer another member talk about as well. But don't give up 😊

b3autygrl wrote:

Hi @Bree20!

Yes, I just recently tried it once and it didn't feel it did much for me unfortunately 😞 . I will try it again to give it another chance.  Thanks!!

The Too Faced Primed and Peachy Cooling Matte Skin Perfecting Primer (Wow, that's a long one!) seems to work for me.  I have very oily skin and usually primers that claim to be matte or oil controlling, only seem to work for a couple of hours before oil breaks through.  Maybe you can ask for a sample first 🙂

Thanks!!  I'll try out a sample.

My skin is like an oil field lol... but Fenty primer and finishing powder have worked wonders for me. very light and silky. I will occasionally blot my face but for the most part it's my favorite!

Thanks!  I'm going to get a sample and try it out.

Nars Pore and Shine Control primer works wonders for me!

Nars Pore and Shine Control primer works wonders for me!

Re: Nars Pore and Shine Control primer works wonders for me!

Hi @jesscolombo!

I have a sample of that one but I haven't tried it yet. 

I've been struggling with my oily skin for almost the past YEAR. I think I've -finally- found a skincare and makeup routine that controls it just a bit better. For reference, I'm oily and acne prone with pores on my cheeks so I'm essentially oily EVERYWHERE. I start out with Clinique acne solutions foam cleanser. Then I use the Clinique acne spot treatment (I put this over my pores, too) then their dramatically different moisturizing gel. Then, I use the MAKE UP FOR EVER step 1 mattifying primer followed with MUFE HD Foundation. After foundation and concealer, I use the Laura mercier setting powder. I may have to blot once a day (I use the boscia blotting papers) and I touch up with the cover fx blotting powder. I know you only asked for a good primer but I found that with a different skin care and primer that I've seen more results. Hope this helps!

Re: RE: Best primers for oily skin???

Hi raindancegabby!

Thanks for sharing your skincare routine and what products you use.  I'm happy with my current skincare and I know that the spf I use is contributing to the oil.  After I cleanse, tone, apply serum and moisturize, I then use Clinique's Pep Start Daily UV Protector followed by either liquid foundation (Estee Lauder Double Wear Light) or BareMinerals Powder Foundation.  If I use liquid foundation, then I set it with IT Cosmetics Bye Bye Pores powder.  I use this spf because I don't like using chemical spf and I need to use sunscreen on a daily basis to protect my skin.  I was recommended Make Up Forever  Primer Step 1 but I haven't used it yet.  So, I will definitely give that a go. Thanks again!

Girl I am with you!! I have recently tired the Benefit Ma...

Girl I am with you!! I have recently tired the Benefit Matte Rescue GEL as opposed to their regular Porefessional, and it's worked wonders! Also, I like to use a mattifying moisturizer as well as primer and that seems to help!

Re: Girl I am with you!! I have recently tired the Benefit Ma...

Hi jesshuycke!

Thanks for the recommendation.  I will try it out.

1 Reply
Conversation Stats
  • 19 replies
  • 16 Hearts Given
  • 11 Contributors
testing