Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Oh, Canada!
|

Spf not in Canadian products?

Hi so I noticed that on US websites the same foundation product will have spf in their description but there will be no mention of spf in Canadian products. Do the Canadian products not have spf in them? For example: YSL all in one glow foundation is spf 20 in US website but not in Canadian website.

thanks.

Spf not in Canadian products?

A few years ago in perfume they also had to black out water which was ridiculously funny 🤣

Re: Spf not in Canadian products?

my understanding is the same as both @nche and @lachaton.  Canadian requirements are more strict and so companies often simply leave the SPF off of the label.  I've actually bought some BB creme in Canada where the SPF line of the label was crossed off with darker ink or had a sticker put over it... I'm assuming because they simply were not allowed to put it on our labels. 

Wow, wish I had seen this post earlier. I actually wrote a post inquiring about the Shu Uemura foundation that had the SPF blacked out like how you mentioned and received a similar response from a mod. Thought it was a one-off situation with the brand. Thanks for the insight, ladies! 🙂 @missjeanie @nche @lachaton 

@lachaton Is correct. Health Canada has much stricter requirements for sun protection claims. The Canadian product is usually (nearly always) the same thing as the US version. The companies just can’t advertise the sun protection on the label/box/marketing in Canada. I was told by a sales rep once that when a beauty product has only spf 10-20 in the US, it doesn’t have enough of the active sun block ingredient to meet that claim in Canada. Not sure if that’s true but I can believe it.  Also, Sometimes it’s from a sun screen active banned in Canada. It actually concerns me how so many chemicals are banned in Canada or EU but allowed in the US. 

@makeupandmoney There's a difference between Canada and US regulations in the treatment of sun protection products. My understanding is that Canadian regulations are much stricter in this regard about what can be listed as an SPF product. (I may need to be corrected on this, as my understanding might be wrong, but I believe that in order to market a product as a sunscreen or SPF, it is considered a drug in Canada and therefore extra requirements need to be satisfied before it can be sold with that type of label.)

If you look at the ingredients list for that foundaiton you'll find the following listed under ingredients:

[+/- MAY CONTAIN: CI 77891 / TITANIUM DIOXIDE . CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499 / IRON OXIDES . CI 77163 / BISMUTH OXYCHLORIDE] 

5 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 5 replies
  • 18 Hearts Given
  • 6 Contributors
testing