Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Oh, Canada!
|

New duty-free import limit

Did you guys see the article on CBC? Under the old NAFTA rules we were charged duties on anything over C$20 that we imported from the US into Canada. That import threshold has been raised to C$150 with the signing of the USMCA that will replace the NAFTA. 

Tax will be charged on any amounts over C$40, though. But compared to the double whammy we used to get hit with (tax AND duty starting at C$20.01) this is a big improvement. 

I won’t necessarily be running off to buy tons of makeup from US online retailers, because the exchange rate is still pretty bad and most US makeup retailers have high shipping prices. But it’s nice to know that, for the occasional makeup purchase, costs will be more palatable. 

RE: New duty-free import limit

That’s awesome

RE: New duty-free import limit

This is awesome! Although, I live about an hour and a half away from the border so I usually ship it to a parcel pickup in North Dakota so I don’t have to pay the crazy amounts of international shipping. It’s about $2 per package so it isn’t terrible. Once I have enough things to justify a drive, I go down and pick it up (they hold for a year!)

Re: RE: New duty-free import limit

@Snglbug Wow! That’s a sweet arrangement if you can get it 👍 I have friends in Vancouver who have US P.O. boxes for the same reason — and to avoid import taxes and duties of course 😏

Re: New duty-free import limit

This is great news, especially good to know for when I send my friends south of the boarder some goodies 😄 thanks for sharing @PinkEvergreen!! 

Interesting! I'm curious to see what the final details will be

This is not in effect right away. They have to sign everything, etc, etc so we probably won't get this for a few months or longer but yes eventually this will go into effect. I am waiting until they announce the exact day it will take effect.

@Katherinelynne That’s right. I was just excited by the news 😂

I must have gotten lucky the last 3 years of me ordering makeup online from the US because I've never gotten duties and only taxes and a handling fee twice from Colourpop and once from Dose of Colors on over 20 orders at least and all my orders are over $20 CAD.  

@sydtomato They explained this in a CBC article I read yesterday. As the situation stands currently, if your item ships via courier (FedEx, UPS, DHL, etc.) you’re almost guaranteed to pay tax and duty. However, if your item ships via US Postal Service, you have about an 80% chance of not paying anything because it’s too onerous for Canada Post to deal with. The couriers are all set up to deal with it properly, hence why you do get charged very consistently. 

This has been my personal experience as well. If it comes by courier, I know from the get-go that I’m doomed. Whereas when I’ve received things the very slow route via USPS, my patience has been “rewarded” with no additional costs being added. 

I should be receiving a package from the USPS very soon @PinkEvergreen I can’t wait to see what happens! 🤞🏼 

@sydtomato I got hit very hard with Kylie Cosmetics. I think I paid $40 extra after everything was said and done. 

Thanks for sharing this info @PinkEvergreen. I was reading an article on CTV and there seems to be a caveat that isn't completely clear so anyone looking too place an order might want to hold back until it is. This is from the article "The deal states that the higher thresholds apply to items delivered through “express shipments” – a term which is not explicitly defined." If this means it only works if we pay for express shipping, well that seems pretty silly, but it might be a concession to Canadian retailers who benefited with a lower threshold. 

@Aaliaa Oh no! I will be scanning the news tonight.

I would probably take that to mean that if we use FedEx, DHL, UPS, it would comply. USPS is probably the one they’re trying to exclude. But that’s just a guess. 

13 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 13 replies
  • 34 Hearts Given
  • 9 Contributors
testing