Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Nailed It
|

Tips for avoiding bubbles in nail-polish?

I have used many types of nail polish, and even nicer ones, like OPI, Essie and Formula X form bubbles after being applied?  I especially have problems with the top coats.  

Any tips for preventing this?

Thank you so much! 

Re: Tips for avoiding bubbles in nail-polish?

Another suggestion...

Don't paint your nails under direct air (air conditioning, ceiling fans...), it will cause your polish to thicken quicker as well.

RE: Tips for avoiding bubbles in nail-polish?

Thin coats that have had a few minutes to dry in between. And if you use seche vite top coat, it instantly erases any bubbles and dries really fast.

Ten minutes between coats works well but you may have to expand that to 12 minutes if the air is dry. This is because the topmost molecules of polish dry quickly but the underneath ones are still wet-- and the solvent has a hard time percolating through the dried top "crust". Also, don't take a hot shower for several hours after your nails are done.... it can also lead to problems.

RE: Tips for avoiding bubbles in nail-polish?

If you wait at least 10 min between coats it won't make bubbles. I used to have this problem too, then a friend told me it was because I didn't allow enough time between coats. It works for me and I polish my nails at least 3 times a week.

I used to have this problem too! I'm not sure if this applies to all nail polishes but if you are using a gel nail polish, you are never supposed to apply lotion to your hands before applying the polish. I stopped doing that and my nail polishes stopped bubbling up on me! 

before you apply dont shake the bottle just roll it on yo...

before you apply dont shake the bottle just roll it on your palms. helps prevent bubbles.

Thank you so much!  I am going to give myself a manicure and a pedicure today, and this advice will make it turn out so much prettier than usual!

I've been painting my nails for ~15 years and went through a period of time where I was changing my nail polish daily. Here's what I find helps:

1. Make sure the bottle of polish is free from bubbles. Roll the bottle in between your hands gently to mix rather than shaking it. If you must shake, wait a few minutes before applying your first coat.

2. Make sure nails are free of moisture and dirt before applying any polish, and don't let anything get trapped in between layers

3. Apply thin coats and ensure polish has started to dry before applying another coat as JazaChai mentioned

4. Use a quick dry top coat. This is the most helpful step for me personally; I apply ~5 minutes after my last coat of polish and it speeds up drying. My favs are Seche Vite, Poshe and Deborah Lipmann. I actually don't remember the last time I used a regular top coat.

Bubbles generally mean one of two things - either the formula is overly thick (because it just is, or because it is old and has thickened in the bottle), or the application is too thick. Try using thinner coats of polish (wipe off the brush some before you apply), and also make sure you wait at least 2 mins on each coat before applying the next one.

9 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 9 replies
  • 8 Hearts Given
  • 9 Contributors
testing