Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Nailed It
|

Show Me Your Nails 2.0

Due to some technical glitches with the original Show Me Your Nails Thread, I am starting a new thread with @vegchililover78's blessing (She says "hello," by the way!).

Please share your nail looks, nail art and manicures!

69F442B5-7FA6-41C9-B9F9-3C495B8E78CB_1_105_c.jpeg

...And don't forget to check out @Beadshopgirl's Nail Stamping Thread for stamping inspiration! ❤️  

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Nailed-It/The-Nail-Stamping-Thread/m-p/3328865

Re: Show Me Your Nails 2.0

IMG_3048.jpeg

Outdoor golden hour indirect lighting

IMG_0014.jpeg

Indoor indirect lighting

Cross-posted on Monthly Manicure Challenge 2023 

One of my daughters asked for pink nails this time, so here we are. They give me pink princess vibes. She is extremely happy with how this turned out and so am I!

All fingers except the ring are Essie - Minimalist topped with Sinful Colours - Pinky Glitter. Essie did not want to cooperate. I got to the third coat and I could still see unevenness but I didn’t want to go any further. I had hoped to have at least a few nails be just solid colour, but sadly it would not cooperate. I saw a video where they sandwiched uncooperative polishes between a matte top coat and it helped get a more solid colour. I might try that next time. Pinky Glitter looked very pink in the bottle but is actually kind of pastel rainbow. It’ll be interesting to try it over another colour next time. 

The ring finger is Sinful Colours - Lie-lac. 3 coats, nice and easy. I topped it with Sally Hansen - Snow Globe and a foil star sticker from my kids’ collection. I had to wait a full day for the base colour to dry before tossing a sticker on top. I cleaned the nail first with alcohol, then pressed it on really good to ensure it would stay flat while I drowned it in quick-dry too coat. It still lifted a tiny bit in the corners but it’s pretty much sealed in. To be fair, it’s a thicker foil sticker and it’s tiny, so it is resistant to follow the curve of my nail. 

@JoSometimes These pastel shades look great on you. I love the accent nail 🩷💜

Thank you @Mellmars1185! 😊

Super-cute, @JoSometimes .

Thank you @CookieGirl1! 😊

This is really pretty, @JoSometimes 

and I like the topper alot! 💖 I love that your kids take part in the process and you all have fun together. Coming up with ideas and colors and stickers. 🙂 💫

Thank you @CynthieLu! I can’t even walk by the nail polish section of Shoppers or Superstore without them wanting to pick up a new colour! They wouldn’t let me leave without adding the topper to the shopping cart.

So beautiful! This colors are perfect together and the sticker is so cute @JoSometimes ! I love it! 💜🩷 And you match your beautiful flowers! 😍

Thank you @Saradestin! My inner child is totally happy with this. 😊

Also, that was sheer coincidence! I didn’t know the creeping thyme had bloomed. I just like using that planter as a backdrop.

@JoSometimes 

Fabulous fairy pink, and I love the purple accent! 💖

You might also be interested in a blurring base coat, or even just using a white or nude cream under sheer polishes. Off the top of my head, most of the blurring base coats I can think of are indies and I don't know what Canadian shipping looks like, but Cupcake and Polished For Days both have a range of shades, and for non-indie (but perhaps not all that widespread in availability), Londontown has their Illuminating Nail Concealer and Perfecting Nail Veil lines. 

Thank you for the tip @RGbrown. I’ll try a few local shops first and see what I can find. Also, it’s not sheer so much as it is uneven after 3 coats. Some parts were opaque while others weren’t. I’ll try to grab a photo next time it happens. 

@JoSometimes 

Gah, when you said something about the matte trick, my mind automatically went to sheer. I don't even know if that's a valid conclusion for me to draw, but I feel like I mostly hear about folks doing it with sheer polishes, so that's where my mind went. Ugh on a full coverage needing so many coats 😖 I generally expect needing 3 or even 4 coats with sheers because my nails are so stained, but I have much less tolerance for it with fussy creams. I have found it to be a fairly common thing with bubblegum pinks though, sadly. Perhaps due to the strong white base, as white is apparently a somewhat fussy pigment in polish.

(And I'm definitely not trying to imply the matte trick won't work with a cream; I've never tried it either way, and have only heard about it in passing. I mostly see it as a response when people ask about how to make shades like OPI Funny Bunny or Essie Marshmallow or other sheer shades more even, so that's always been my association with it)

@RGbrown I always appreciate your insight and knowledge! I have a couple sheer-ish ones in my collection now so I’ll keep your tips in mind. 😊

It’s interesting that a change in pigment can affect how a polish applies. 

@JoSometimes 

It's crazy how some pigments can make a polish a pain to use. Yellow is the other most common grumpy bugger! 

Very cute and princess-y, @JoSometimes ! 👑

Thank you @Titian06

Beautometry has been running a series of flash sales all week; I've missed most of them (three hour sales are ridiculous 🙄), and most of them haven't been all that great to begin with, mostly small discounts on one brand or category, but this one is nice! 40% off EdK for the next two hours!

Screenshot_20230601-174603.png

I am 3 minutes late and I am glad, just in case @RGbrown ! 😅

@Saradestin @RGbrown have either of you tried much from EDK?  I think that their swatch pics always look pretty but I've heard multiple people say that they never look quite that great in person.

I have not tried anything from EDK either @CookieGirl1 , so I can’t be of any help 😕

@CookieGirl1 

I've got one that I adore. It was a PPU or HHC selection several years ago now, but it's more of a topper...a mix of glitter and flakies in a clear base. It's mostly gold, but surprisingly one of my fave toppers ever considering how much I dislike gold. It's very well done, a pleasure to use and gorgeously executed. Not sure I have any full coverage polishes though (or if I do, I've forgotten about them, which doesn't bode well lol). I was pleased to see nothing caught my eye today when I looked through Beautometry, so I'm not adding any to my collection this time.

Oooooooooo, no, wait, I do have one more, picked up from another Beautometry sale, BF maybe? I haven't used it yet because I have too dang many backed up in line, so no thoughts on it either way yet 😬

15 Replies
testing