Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Nailed It
|

Show Me Your Nails 2.0

Due to some technical glitches with the original Show Me Your Nails Thread, I am starting a new thread with @vegchililover78's blessing (She says "hello," by the way!).

Please share your nail looks, nail art and manicures!

69F442B5-7FA6-41C9-B9F9-3C495B8E78CB_1_105_c.jpeg

...And don't forget to check out @Beadshopgirl's Nail Stamping Thread for stamping inspiration! ❤️  

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Nailed-It/The-Nail-Stamping-Thread/m-p/3328865

Re: Show Me Your Nails 2.0

@RGbrown maybe it's a "me" thing; I mean, everyone has a different preference for formula and I would still be up for trying other polishes from them.

@CookieGirl1 

It's always worth a shot! One polish can make a lasting impression, whether good or bad, but doesn't necessarily speak for the whole brand of course! I just picked one up from them recently too, but I'm sure it's gonna quite different than this one (it's a jelly glitter bomb)

Such a fun color @CookieGirl1 !

Gorgeous color, @CookieGirl1 !  Too bad it was so messy to use.

It’s sad that it is not a good formula @CookieGirl1 , because the color is so beautiful! 

@Saradestin I don't know how this one compares to their other polishes and maybe it's just a "me" preference; others may not struggle it like I did.

My latest mani...

Index & MiddleZoya Lotus.  A dusty purple with gold shimmer.  Two easy coats, but three would have been better.  I didn't notice the sheer spots until later (I was tired, OK?).

Thumb & RingZoya Ki.  A blue, green, purple "oil slick"-type color.  I have yet to find the blue, but the purple and green are obvious.  Two easy coats.  As with Lotus, three coats would have been better for the same reason.

Pinky:  One coat Lotus and one coat Ki.  The purples are so similar, the urge to layer was strong!  The result is Ki with a bit more purple.

I notice my tips are showing like what has happened to @RGbrown .  I have been using G&G top coat since purchasing it during the BF. 

Direct dull, overcast light.

20230126_131257.jpg

Direct dull, overcast light.

20230126_131329.jpg

I didn't both with the indirect light pics; there wouldn't have been much difference.

Love the purples @Titian06! 💜 I wonder if the blue in Ki would be more noticeable in sunlight. Do you have a favorite among these pretties?

I am surprised, @itsfi ! 🤣  They look almost the same IRL, but I would probably reach for Lotus before Ki.

@Titian06  Gorgeous purples! 💜

@Titian06 

Gorgeous! Love the mix of purples, they work so well together!

So, shrink...ugh. Some topcoats are more prone to it than others, the worst I've ever encountered is Seche Vite (though lots of folks love it and have no issues...there's definitely an element of personal chemistry at play). I do have some tips though!

1. if you aren't currently, wrap your tips. I do at least one coat of color (might stop at one if it's a dense cream, but the more see through a polish is, the more layers I cap off) and top coat. It's hard with short nails...I've seen some folks use a little piece of tape kinda wedged up between the nail and skin to help reduce the mess. I don't mess with that because I never think about it, but when mine are short, I don't "swipe" the brush across my tips like many folks do; instead I just pull my fingertip skin down a bit as best I can and tap polish across the tip with the tips of the bristles. And if you don't want to cap the tips with color, that's fine, just be sure to do it with your topcoat (more on that in 3 below).

2. Add topcoat while your polish is still mostly wet. I wait maybe a couple of minutes up to about 5 minutes between my last coat of color and topcoat. Supposedly the drier the polish, the more likely it is that shrink will happen.

3. Be sure to cover your color completely with your topcoat, even extending it past the color line when possible. Shrink can happen not only at the tips, but around the sides and cuticle line. I go ham with mine and usually make a dang mess...not intentionally, really, but sometimes my tremors make it hard for me to be precise with it, so I tend to err on the messy side instead of the "whoops, I missed a spot" side lol.

G&G has been waaayyy better for me in terms of shrink...for the most part I get none, though I have been noticing a bit near the tips when I use sheer jelly polishes, even when I double and triple checked that I've capped them off well. Not sure what that's about, but for how few other issues I have with it, I'm ok with it.

Thanks for this great info on how to use a top coat, @RGbrown !  I had no idea I should use the top coat on mostly wet polish.  I've always used it on mostly dry (it may still be a bit tacky when I apply).  I've never had problems with Seche Vite, but G&G is so much shinier and I love the wide brush.  My nails are super short right now, so I may have been stopped short without realizing it.

I've heard of capping and figured out what it was when watching the occasional YT video, but have no idea how to do that on my nubs!  My nails are extra short right now because two more nails broke (for a total of three), so I decided to files them all down to about the same micro length and start again! 😄  I'll give that a try next time.  I know I won't have patience for the tape method, so I'll go with pulling my skin down and tap.

Thanks, again, RGBrown! 😘

@Titian06 

Yay, I hope it helps! Hopefully it's as simple as just doing your top coat a little quicker and doesn't get too fussy for you 😊

So beautiful @Titian06! I love the depth and the shift. Pretty mani 💜💜

Thanks, @Saradestin !  I think these colors look better on than in the bottles. 💜🙂💜

Love the vampy theme, @Titian06.

Thanks, @CookieGirl1 !  I hadn't even given that a thought! 💜💜💜

I don’t normally play in this thread but I cut through my natural nail with an Uber sharp knife and just barely survived without blood so I ran into the salon to get it both disinfected and covered while the cut part grows out . It’s pretty high up so it’ll be a while.  Not a bad thing cause I’m loving the new length and how scritchy head massagey my nails are now!!!!  Plus, look at the cute hearts and dots she drew on there to cover the wounded dark spot!!!  😍. And this is how  my acrylic nail addiction renewed….

F0C9ECD7-46DB-4A63-9BFF-558ECCB2B1FF.jpeg

@heartsmyface  Oh, ouch! Glad your finger is ok! Nobody would ever guess with this gorgeous mani! Love it! ❤️

Yikes! Knife stories are so eeeek 😬 thank goodness nothing serious happened @heartsmyface but wow, look what got to happen because of it. Those are fab and so cute 😻 love them!

@heartsmyface 

Ahhhhhhh, this is fun and fabulous! Love the design, the touch of sparkle, everything!

And yikes on the cut; I'm so glad it wasn't worse! It reminds me of something I did many years ago (probably 20 years now, geez), I fumbled a razor in the shower and in trying to catch it, I somehow shaved off a perfectly round hole right smack in the middle of my pinky nail. I didn't break the skin underneath, so thankfully no blood, but when it grew out, I had the perfect place to hang a charm if that had been my aesthetic 😂 I also learned to stop trying to catch the razor, and just get out of the way 🤣

1 Reply
testing