Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Nailed It
|

Show Me Your Nails 2.0

Due to some technical glitches with the original Show Me Your Nails Thread, I am starting a new thread with @vegchililover78's blessing (She says "hello," by the way!).

Please share your nail looks, nail art and manicures!

69F442B5-7FA6-41C9-B9F9-3C495B8E78CB_1_105_c.jpeg

...And don't forget to check out @Beadshopgirl's Nail Stamping Thread for stamping inspiration! ❤️  

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Nailed-It/The-Nail-Stamping-Thread/m-p/3328865

Re: Show Me Your Nails 2.0

@Saradestin, simple and sensational! The purple jelly base is beautiful; the sparkles are gorgeous. This is such a fun and fabulous polish! 💜

It really is @itsfi ! I love it! 💜💜💜

@Saradestin 

Oh yay, nice to see it on someone else! 😍 Such a gorgeous polish!  💜

Thank you for enabling @RGbrown ! I love it! 

@Saradestin  This is absolutely stunning 💜💜

It really is @Cissy63 !!! I am amazed! 

Wow, really beautiful, @Saradestin ! 💜💜💜

Thank you @Titian06 ! It is so pretty! ❤️

It's been a while since I've done any "art" (using that term loosely 😂), so I decided to have a little fun with some more of these valentine's creams I pulled last month 💖

First up, the swatch hand!

IMG_20230124_125127047_HDR.jpg

Full sun, and I think the colors are surprisingly pretty accurate in this one...oranges can throw my camera way off for some reason, but these are close, perhaps just a touch brighter IRL.

Every single one of these was a three coater, argh, some nicer about it than others.

Zoya Skipper: neon purple. A little streaky, but not terribly so, the third coat was easy enough to just cover a couple of sheer spots. Zoya's neons are on the sheer side from what I've read (this is my first one), so I wasn't surprised by needing three.

Butter Trout Pout: bright orangey coral, a bit fussy, I had to work the third coat fairly carefully to get it mostly even. I partly blame the mini bottle and smaller brush that goes along with it...a full size bottle may have been easier to work with.

Zoya Dacey: super bright hot pink, and I was surprised by needing three coats on this one. Part of that was my massive speed bump of a ridge on this one, it's by far my worst nail, but overall this polish was thinner and more sheer than I normally expect from Zoya.

Ulta x Steffi Lynn The Dream: by far the fussiest of the lot, this one was a bit thick and started drying quickly, making it hard to get even and smooth coverage. Thinner probably would have helped, but it didn't dawn on me until afterwards 🙄

Morgan Taylor Color Me Bold: bright orangey salmon. This was another that surprised me by being thin and somewhat sheer, I didn't expect that from an MT. The third coat wasn't fussy, just necessary for full coverage. 

And the fun hand 💕

IMG_20230124_125540663_HDR.jpg

Full sun, with a couple nails slightly blurry to pop some of the holo

IMG_20230124_125617209.jpg

Indirect light to show the stripes a little better

I started with a base of Londontown Illuminating Nail Concealer (three coats), added some random stripes across the tips, then topped it all off with a coat of Smith & Cult Take Fountain (pale pink and holo glitter in various sizes). I'm mostly happy with how it came out, though the SC is a little denser and flashier than I envisioned originally, and I feel it kinda detracts from the stripes. I may do a similar design in the near future with a little tweaking, to see if can refine this a bit closer to what I originally wanted

And I have some thoughts on Londontown Illuminating Nail Concealer vs Butter Mellow The Yellow, if anyone is interested in the differences between them!

Spoiler
In the bottle, the two look nearly identical; both are a sheer white with a hint of blue shimmer to help correct yellow/orange staining

IMG_20230124_133411491.jpg

But once swatched out, the difference is extremely noticeable

IMG_20230124_135524384.jpg

(One coat each) Londontown definitely shows a much bluer tone than Butter, and also has better coverage (while still remaining sheer). When I use Butter, normally I do two coats to help color correct, and it does do a nice job of that, but it's so sheer that I still need something else with some coverage over it...I've used it in the past as a base for other sheers like Revlon Sheer Petal but it becomes 4-5 coats just get a base down before I even get to whatever art is going on top.

Using Londontown last night, I was surprised at how much better coverage I got, and I didn't need to add anything else on top for my "sheer" look. I did wind up doing three coats of it because I have some super dark blue/green staining I was trying to mute a little more, but once that's gone, I think I'll be able to get by with two coats of this by itself as a base, even with my dark yellow staining. 

All in all, I'm glad now that I picked up the Londontown one...I was kicking myself for a while thinking I'd grabbed something I didn't need since I thought it would be nearly identical to the Butter one, but it turns out they are different enough that this comparison was warranted!

If all you want is super sheer color correcting with a hint of shine, Butter is good, but honestly, I think you'd get similar (but brighter) results from just one coat of Londontown that you would from two coats of Butter, so I'm struggling to see a use case where I wouldn't just say "Londontown is better for that" 😬

@RGbrown Ooh I love them both! Of course my two favorite shades would be the most troublesome. 

@Samtian @Shosh85 @heartsmyface @CookieGirl1 

Thanks so much y'all!  💖

@RGbrown I love the name AND the color of Butter Trout Pout 🐟.

@RGbrown  Ouuuuhhhh!  I love the dripping pastels!  Very pastel lot lots.  You just need a bunny crossbones bandage 😉 

D248D83D-84BC-497F-87BC-265A7F79E90B.jpeg

@RGbrown  All of these colors are great, and the nail art you created with them is just gorgeous! The glitter definitely adds a nice touch! 🤩

@RGbrown  Such colorful pinks, coral and purple!  And wow, the stripes and sparkles are gorgeous 😀

@Cissy63 

Thanks so much! Brights and sparkles make a fun pair!  💖

Oh wow how fun @RGbrown !!! 

@Kim888 

Thanks so much! 💕

@RGbrown - Zoya Skipper is on my wish list as is Darcy.  Think I'll keep them there.  I really like Skipper 💜💜💜 and even I can't turn down a good hot pink. 😄  I bought Trout Pout way back when it was first released (no, I don't still have it).  I didn't like the color on me, though it is a pretty color.  The MT is on my mental wish list--it's bright orange...what else do I have to say? 🧡🧡🧡

I love your nail art! 🥰  I never think to try something simple (I assume) like that.  It looks great.  I also appreciate your comparison of the concealers.  I don't have an issue, but it's still something nice to file away just in case. 😘

@Titian06 

Thanks so much! Darcy and Skipper are both gorgeous, I think you'll be happy if you pick them up!

I hear ya on Trout Pout...I have to watch out for some of these shades too; this one is fine, but any peachier and nope, I'm out, peach is just not a good color for me generally. The MT shade is gorgeous...I'll have to do a little poking through my swatches, but I'm not sure I have anything else quite like it, it feels like a pretty unique color overall. 

Simple art is about all I can do! Between some tremors and a complete lack of coordination, basic stripes or brush strokes or something easy with a dotting tool is about as deep into the art rabbit hole as I can get. This was super easy and you can definitely do it!

If you ever want or need a milky/sheer white, this Londontown would be an excellent choice, even if you don't need the concealing properties to help hide stains. It was smooth and mostly even, even at one coat, which can be hard to find in a sheer white!

@RGbrown, I love seeing these mani’s - the swatch hand and then the nail art hand. 😍 My eyes will always gravitate towards pinks and purples but I was surprised by how long I’ve been staring at the Butter London and MT polishes! So pretty.

Ahhh, great intel on the BL vs Londontown. I’m always interested in these types of showdowns / comparisons. I’d like to say it saves me from picking up more of these types of polishes, but in actuality it means I discover new ones to try. 🤣 

1 Reply
testing