Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Nailed It
|

Show Me Your Nails 2.0

Due to some technical glitches with the original Show Me Your Nails Thread, I am starting a new thread with @vegchililover78's blessing (She says "hello," by the way!).

Please share your nail looks, nail art and manicures!

69F442B5-7FA6-41C9-B9F9-3C495B8E78CB_1_105_c.jpeg

...And don't forget to check out @Beadshopgirl's Nail Stamping Thread for stamping inspiration! ❤️  

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Nailed-It/The-Nail-Stamping-Thread/m-p/3328865

Re: Show Me Your Nails 2.0

@Saradestin Beautiful stamped mani!

Thank you so much @Mellmars1185 ! I have just posted my upgrade 😁 I am so excited! 😃

@Saradestin  Aw, sorry you had a frustrating first experience. So did I, the first time I tried stamping (actually the first several times). But your first attempt looks MUCH better than mine did. And I love that you tried a clear top coat to get a matte vs. glossy contrast on some nails. 🖤 

Looks like you've already gotten lots of great stamping advice. All I can add is: keep at it. There's a learning curve, and if you find that something's just not working right for you (for me, it's partly my worsening eyesight 🤣 ), there's probably a workaround or solution (in my case, hopefully the magnifying stamper). I think you'll be a pro at stamping in no time. 

Thank you so much @WinglessOne 🤗🤗 I wouldn’t call my first experience frustrating, just because I like stamping so much that even if it was so hard to get it right, I was enjoying the process. In fact, today I am going to keep trying other polishes, stamping on a surface, and see what happens. That way I may be able to narrow down the ones that work vs the ones that don’t. “Failure” won’t stop me. I love this stuff too much! 😃

@Saradestin ummm, hello, it's not supposed to be perfect on your first try and don't be so hard on yourself because that seriously turned out great for your first attempt!  Those colors work so well for a moody mani 🙂

Thank you so much, sweet @CookieGirl1 ! 🤗 I think it looks good enough but there is so much to improve (normal, it’s just my first stamping) But I attempted quite a lot of times before I could get good pick-ups, here and there. It’s not that at the beginning was bad and got better, it was completely random. I continue to blame the polish 😜. But that won’t stop me, I like it too much!

@Saradestin 

These look fookin' amazing! This is an excellent first try, and honestly, I wouldn't have realized it was a "practice session" if I didn't know this was your first attempt! You've got great tips already, I don't have anything else to add...at this point, it really is just a little practice to find your groove with everything!

I will echo the "might be your polish" theme for your troubles. While I firmly believe stamping polish isn't necessary at all (I never use it), not every regular polish will be a good candidate for stamping, and figuring out which ones work best is just a bit of trial and error. One coat creams are the best bet, anything highly pigmented and on the thicker side. Large glitters and flakies aren't generally a good idea, and thin shimmers that take multiple coats likely won't show up. There are exceptions to every rule, the Zoya matte velvets are phenomenal for stamping, even Aspen, a sheer ethereal nearly nothing of a polish that just does amazing things over darker bases, but it'll take a little bit for you to get the hang of the process and to figure out what works best for you. I have faith though, you got this!

Thank you so much @RGbrown ! You all are the best! 🤗🤗 I really appreciate your feedback and it encourages me to keep trying (which I am happy to do, because I find stamping so entertaining) Yes, I will try more polishes and see how things go. There is so much stamping I want to do, that I better get good at this! 😂

@Saradestin  

Oh my gosh, I think you did a wonderful job! These look fantastic!

Stamping definitely involves a lot of trial and error! Here are some tips I learned from my own experience as well as You Tube/Facebook tutorials I've watched for possible reasons a stamper doesn't pick up an image:

1) The polish is too thin. You don't necessarily have to use a stamping polish, but it should be a one coater or close to a one coater.

2) You are pressing down on the stamping plate too hard with the stamper. No hulk smashing, lol! You only need a quick, relatively light rolling motion. 

3) Scraping too hard/scraping too much polish off or not scraping enough. If I scrape too much I've found that I pick up a partial image. If I don't scrape enough, I pick up a blobby mess. I watched a You Tube video and the lady said that most people will tell you to hold the scraper at a 45 degree angle, but she said it's actually better if it's "low and flat, with gentle pressure"

4) Extreme temperatures - Sitting next to a fan, air conditioning vent, humidity etc, can cause your polish to dry too quick.

5) Not enough polish on the plate. If there's not enough polish it will dry faster and/or not fill the etched image completely, leaving you with a partial image

Most importantly, practice! The more you practice the better you get! You just need to find your own groove!

Aww, you are so sweet @Shosh85 ! Thank you so much for your valuable advice! Yes, I considered all those factors and blamed all of them, of course, it couldn’t be me! 😄 It is cold here so I tried to heat up the plate with my hands, the polishes I used were thin (the only thicker one was a quick dry that dried too quick so I discarded it immediately). I changed angles and pressure... And I really couldn’t tell what was the factor that made the few ones that came out “decent” to work better than the others.

The good thing is that I really like it. I would have loved to continue stamping more and more.  I find it relaxing and entertaining. So I will continue to try more and more until I master it! 😁

@Saradestin  I definitely agree with @RGbrown, looking at these I would not have guessed it was your first time! Before I even attempted stamping, I literally watched every tutorial I could find on it and that got me more comfortable. It really does become so fun once you get the hang of it! 

Oh yes @Shosh85 ! I have also been watching a lot of YouTube tutorials on stamping before even thinking on starting. If not, it would have been an absolute disaster! 😂 But you know, one think is watching others, that in most cases have been doing this for years (even professionally), and a different one is to do it ourselves for the first time. 😁 But I am committed and I know that I will get it right some day! 

@Saradestin  I totally know what you mean! The people in the tutorials make it look so easy and effortless!
You are already so good at it though! 😃

OMGosh, @Saradestin , your stamping is gorgeous! 😍😍😍  I'm not saying that to be nice...it looks great!  Since I'm a novice take my advice as such...my thought is you're having a hard time picking up because you're not using stamping polish, which is a bit thicker than regular polish.  If you have any regular polish that's on the thick side, try using that. Other thoughts are you're not pressing hard enough on the plate or not using enough polish on the plate (much thicker than when you polish your nails).  Regardless, when you try again, you'll be surprised at how much easier it is because you did it once now! 🙂

Thank you so much for your encouraging words @Titian06 🤗 I really appreciate them! You are completely right, the amount of polish played a role in most cases and I am blaming the polish (regular and new instead of stamping polish) “Of course, it has to be that, not me!” 😜 I have my basket ready to check out with some stamping polishes, just waiting for some nice BF deal 😁. The problem is that, after that, I won’t be able to blame anything other than myself for my failures! 😅

Couple new deals!

$5 Morgan Taylor at Sally; end date unknown. Includes everything except the the fall collection (it's on clearance, though only for $7.xx right now)

Screenshot_20221119-123607.png

And Cirque has early access to their BF sale; 20% off plus a gwp at $80. This runs today and tomorrow, then I assume there will be a new code on Monday, same deal (minus the gwp if it sells out). Code EARLY20

Screenshot_20221119-123754.png

Screenshot_20221119-123830.png

And the deals keep coming @RGbrown! 😁 

@RGbrown  I just left the city and didn’t stop at Sally’s for once. Maybe I need to turn around! 

@RGbrown - Yep, I stopped by Sally's this morning and picked up three more MTs. 😄

I decided to pull out my chrome powder again for this winter nail look!

D4111542-251C-4717-9B8D-97AA76062410.jpeg

@ather I really like this winter mani! ❄️

1 Reply
testing