Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Nailed It
|

Show Me Your Nails 2.0

Due to some technical glitches with the original Show Me Your Nails Thread, I am starting a new thread with @vegchililover78's blessing (She says "hello," by the way!).

Please share your nail looks, nail art and manicures!

69F442B5-7FA6-41C9-B9F9-3C495B8E78CB_1_105_c.jpeg

...And don't forget to check out @Beadshopgirl's Nail Stamping Thread for stamping inspiration! ❤️  

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Nailed-It/The-Nail-Stamping-Thread/m-p/3328865

Re: Show Me Your Nails 2.0

@Saradestin I need to try my hand at a Christmas tree or some ornaments!

It would look so cute @makeitup305 ! 😃

Wow that color is gorgeous @makeitup305! I am very close to receive my Mooncat sale order. I am so anxious to try their polishes and see if they are worth the hype! 

@Saradestin I really like their formula. Some of the polishes I’ve had to build up a bit but they’re even and so multidimensional. Can’t wait to see all your fabulous manis!

Great color, @makeitup305 ! 💚💚💚  I doubt you left it open.  It could be the way it was made and/or an older batch. 🤔

@Titian06 maybe I didn’t shake it enough? Idk I hadn’t used it since I bought it a couple of months ago but I doubt the batch was very old, it’s a relatively new polish I think. The color is so pretty and up my alley and the results were good at the end so I would still recommend it.

Lemme introduce you to the Browns. 

Two other mani's where I reached for the brown shades in my nail polish collection. First off, brown skittles, with a nail sticker on my thumb. The nail sticker is "meh"; the browns in this skittle are not so bad. I kinda like 'em all.  

Brown Skittles.jpg

Spoiler

Mischo Beauty Angel (thumb & pinky nails) looks to me like a pale brownie taupe shade with hints of dusty mauve. The Mischo brush is thin and long-ish - it worked well for my pinky nail but was a little more troublesome for painting the color onto my thumb.

The shade on my index finger may be one of my favorite dark brown polishes, which is interesting because it happens to be another DIY polish - Natasha Denona Pasha (from the Biba Eyeshadow Palette - second row, first polish) x Sally Hansen clear polish. The consistency on this DIY polish turned out better than the first one I did (on my ring finger). I mixed a full bottle of clear polish with the entire eyeshadow tin - no clumps and not too thick. The eyeshadow shade pasha is described as a matte red, but it shows up as a dark, espresso brown on my nails. 

essie Expressie Cold Brew Crew (middle), is a warm mid-tone brown creme. Easy to apply and quick to dry. I haven't always been a fan of this essie line of polishes but have been pleased with the few I've tried recently. Not sure if the formulation has changed or if it varies by polish color, or if I've just changed my mind on it for no reason at all. In any event, this is a pretty brown shade.

On my ring finger is my first DIY nail polish, same one from the full mani I posted about maybe a week ago - a collab between Natasha Denona and the Sephora Collection that neither brand knew about. Hahaha! I do wonder what kind of polish collection a collab like that might produce. Hmm.... 🤔 This polish is a mix of the clear polish in the Sephora Collection Wishing You nail sampler set and the shade Rayon (second row, 3rd shadow, described as a matte medium burgundy) from the Natasha Denona Biba All Neutral Eyeshadow Palette. I wouldn't describe the polish shade as burgundy but I do think it's a pretty shade - maybe a rosy brown or brownie rose. I do like this shade a lot. 

And here, we have a couple of the browns from above being used for a chocolate ombre. 

Chocolate Ombré.jpg

Spoiler

It's been a while since I did some ombre nails. I actually have another ombre nail in mind that I want to do but went with a practice round with a couple of brown polishes. I've found that with ombre polishes, I do a better job on the second or third attempt at an ombre, so this ombre is a warm up of another ombre to come. 

My ombre layers consisted of: 

• Live Laugh Polish Cashmere, a soft, pale-pink champagne cream with some very subtle (maybe pinky-silver) metallic shimmer. It's a pretty color and I wanted to give it a try as an alternative to a white base color for ombre nails. 
  • Mischo Beauty Angel, a pale, brownish taupe creme polish with a hint of a dusty mauve undertone
  • essie Expressie Cold Brew Crew, a warm leaning, medium brown creme 
  • DIY polish that resulted from mixing the Natasha Denona Pasha eyeshadow (from ND Biba palette) and Sally Hansen clear polish

I learned from @RGbrown the first time I tried my hand at ombre nails that a top coat really pulls an ombre look together, and that it does. It still looks a little patchier than I like, but this final finish is far less rough and textured than before I applied 2 layers of top coat - the first was KBShimmer Smooth Over and the last layer from Glisten & Glow Shiny Top Coat

@itsfi  Your ombre mani is fabulous! Also, DIY polish is a good way to use up eyeshadows. Well, shadows that are pigmented enough to be used this way. I once tried this with a certain Urban Decay palette and should've known it wouldn't go well. 🤦‍♀️ Anyway, yours turned out very well! 

Thank you @WinglessOne! The intensity of the pigmentation is definitely a factor when it comes to DIY polish. I’m curious to see how an eyeshadow with a noticeable shift to it would do as a DIY nail polish but I’m not sure I want to use up a shadow with a fun  shift in that way. I’ll have to look through some eyeshadows to see if there’s one with a pretty shift that I’d be willing to test out in that way! 🤔 

@itsfi  I’m loving the brown skittle nails! And you totally nailed the ombré! I’ve never heard about using eyeshadow and polish it’s a great idea! They turned out perfect!

Thank you @ather! I am determined to work my way through some eyeshadow palettes, one way or another. 🤣 I’m also wondering how a DIY polish would work with blush. 🤔 

@itsfi  I can see it working the same. I’m not sure the ratio of blush to clear polish tho. 

@itsfi  I am really enjoying the brown shades, especially the DIY’s   Makes me think of 🍫!!

@Cissy63, brown polishes are not usually super high up on polish shades I tend to pick up, but I’ve found some good ones lately and mani’s like the skittles and ombré ones make them more fun! 😊 I think I should have a piece of chocolate 🍫 in honor of this ombre, don’t you?! 😋 

@itsfi  Oh please do have a really nice piece 🍫🍫😂😂

I like how the ombre turned out, @itsfi.

@CookieGirl1, thank you! I’m slowly working my way to doing an ombré/gradient from two different color families. Ones like these help build up my confidence little by little. And they also help me go through a few different polishes to see what I want to keep for another day and which will be re-homed. Win-win! 🙌🏼 

That's a good way to look at it, @itsfi.  You're getting good at doing gradients in the process!

@itsfi 

I'm loving your eyeshadow mixes, such a fantastic way to use up a shade that's otherwise just sitting there going to waste!  🤎 And your ombre looks great, perfectly warm and cozy for these cooler days 🍂

Thank you @RGbrown! Now that I’ve done a couple of DIY polishes and know what ratio works best, the next ones will go be a breeze to do. 🤞🏼 This may mean I work through my eyeshadow palettes a lot faster too! At a much later date, I may try the DIY with blushes and powders I never reach for. 

@itsfi  So fun! Love the shade you made with the Biba palette!
The ombré nails looks great! I've been wanting to try either ombré or gradient, but I'm still working up the courage (and patience 😉)

2 Replies
testing