Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Nailed It
|

Show Me Your Nails 2.0

Due to some technical glitches with the original Show Me Your Nails Thread, I am starting a new thread with @vegchililover78's blessing (She says "hello," by the way!).

Please share your nail looks, nail art and manicures!

69F442B5-7FA6-41C9-B9F9-3C495B8E78CB_1_105_c.jpeg

...And don't forget to check out @Beadshopgirl's Nail Stamping Thread for stamping inspiration! ❤️  

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Nailed-It/The-Nail-Stamping-Thread/m-p/3328865

Re: Show Me Your Nails 2.0

@Titian06 Thank you 😊💅🙏

🦇How about some Orly Halloween? 🦇

I've got two of the jellies today, each 5 ways 🎃

Oasis Jelly: first off, know that this color does terrible things to my camera...I don't think any of these pics are quite accurate 😣 It's brighter than it looks here in any lighting I tried, more of a deep-end of the summery bright teals, not the dustier tone my camera keeps playing up. Sigh.

But nonetheless, it is gorgeous, a fun dark but bright shade that works well for Halloween and beyond! 

Mystic Jelly: fun bright purple; Kelli wanted the jelly equivalent of one her favorite Orly shades, Synthetic Symphony, and while I don't have that one to compare, this really is something I wasn't sure I'd ever see in a jelly...purple jellies tend to be either much lighter or much darker (from what I can think of, at least), so this is a really nice addition to my collection.

Both of these applied relatively easily. The consistency was good, not too thick and not too thin, easy to control. The brush on Oasis was cut badly, so I had a little trouble getting it down neatly, but I find that to be fairly common for Orly, unfortunately...every three or four or five I have of theirs has a wonky brush 😐 After two thin coats, neither color was perfectly even, but they weren't painfully patchy and streaky either. It was pretty clear though that I'd need to go a little thicker on the third coat to even them up a bit, and I'm happy with how they came out...still not perfectly even, but at least gracefully mottled, and good enough, especially considering most would be covered by toppers shortly. I think both of these would work really well for a jelly sandwich, layering toppers (light ones, as dark ones would probably just get swallowed by the pigment) in-between to really build up some depth and dimension.

Shots of 2 vs 3 coats in the spoiler!

Spoiler
IMG_20221006_152144941~2.jpg

IMG_20221006_152935802~2.jpg

IMG_20221006_152206127~2.jpg

IMG_20221006_152958257~2.jpg

Naked pinkies on each hand just for a baseline swatch, and then, the toppers! 💖 (one coat each)

Wing It!: clear base with gold and silver micro glitter, small black dots and small bats. I have to say, I'm mildly disappointed 😞 The two swatches I've watched both said "the bats are easy to get", but I didn't have that experience. I had to dig for them to wind up with just two when I did my swatch stick, and today I did no digging, but only got one per nail. This is compounded by the fact that the brush is black, so you can't even see if you've got any bats or not until you brush it on. Also, the bats are so small that they're a bit difficult to differentiate from what could just be a cluster of the black dot glitter; I wish they were a little fatter or bigger in some way. It doesn't help that they don't really stand out against either of these darker shades in the first place...perhaps a lighter base would please me more. Overall, this topper adds a fun sparkle, but IMHO isn't really suited to either of these colors in particular as a base, not if you want to actually see the bats.

Wild Card: various sizes of lime green, bright purple, and black hex glitter, all matte. Densely packed, easy to spread without pulling the glitters off, and while the black isn't prominent on either of these dark bases, the green and purple show up really well over both colors.  Fabulously fun, love it!

Spellbound: silver holo microglitter, medium silver holo hexes, and looks like two sizes of black and orange matte hexes. I love the sparkle from the holo bits, and black and orange is a classic combo this time of year. Another excellent topper 🎃

Glow With The Flow (thumbs on each hand): one of Orly's glow in the dark toppers (glows blue!). From what I've read, gitd pigments can be hard to work with, so I wasn't completely sure what to expect from this. Upon arrival, I could tell it was thiccccc...there was an air bubble in the bottom of the bottle, and when I unpacked it and set it upright, that bubble didn't move, not even a little 😲 It was closer to a blob of jelly than a liquid, so I added some thinner, as much as I could (but the bottle was so full to begin with that this was only 5-6 drops) and I shook it as best I could, but honestly, I'm not sure this was enough to do a single thing to the thickness of it; even now, I can turn it upside down and watch the mixing balls not move a bit (what??). May as well test it out before accidentally ruining it by adding more thinner, right? So I left it as is for today's mani, and I was pleased to see that despite the incredibly thick texture, it spread smoothly without clumping or dragging. In the bottle, this stuff is a pale, milky yellow, and looking closely, you can tell the gitd pigment isn't really fully dissolved...it looks more like a superfine powder suspended in the jelly-like base. Mildly worried this might affect my base color, I just did one thin coat, and can't tell it's there unless I pull out my reading glasses and really scrutinize my thumbs...then I can barely see the fine overlay of the powdery looking pigment. But...as it turns out, such a thin layer doesn't glow much, so I'll have to amp up the coverage with a second layer next time. 

IMG_20221006_160938602.jpg

Shade

IMG_20221006_160822764_HDR.jpg

Full sun for a great look at the uneven coverage that isn't nearly as visible most of the time, sigh 😋

IMG_20221006_161816294.jpg

Shade

IMG_20221006_160719374_HDR.jpg

Full sun

IMG_20221006_162658601.jpg

The glow on my thumb is weak compared to the bottle...I think at least some of what does show here is just reflection off the bottle, as the next pic is what it looks like once I cover most of the bottle up...

IMG_20221006_162739261.jpg

That's a bit of the bottle peeking out from my fist on the left; my thumb is there on the right, I swear 😂

@RGbrown   I really like the jelly colors and the toppers except the 🦇🦇.  Your nails are so colorful and beautiful!!

@Cissy63 

Thanks so much! This set has been a lot of fun! 🎃

Wow! Such a cute and fun mani @RGbrown ! I know, the bat experience is very disappointing, and I would have felt exactly the same, 🦇🦇🦇 but the results are spectacular! So beautiful!!! 😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍

@Saradestin 

Thanks so much! This set has been a blast, even with the issues with the bat topper 🦇

@RGbrown  I’m loving the toppers you are using!!! It’s crazy how bright the bottle is but your thumb isn’t as bright 

@ather 

Thanks so much! 

Turns out that was my fault for not using enough, but I've corrected my usage since then 😋

@RGbrown oh my gosh, I LOVE Wild Card!  That's the coolest-looking topper.

@CookieGirl1 

After using all of the toppers twice now, I'm having a really hard time picking a fave, but Wild Card is definitely fantastic and certainly in the top three 🤣 💚💜🖤

@RGbrown  The 2 no-bats toppers are lovely over both jellies. I especially love Spellbound. That's one I'd be tempted to buy if Orly sold it on its own. And of course I'm immediately drawn to the teal jelly. 💙 

You might need to charge up that glow in the dark topper on your nails before it'll glow strongly in the dark. I have a Crystal Knockout glitter thermal polish that glows aqua in the dark, and I can get it to glow stronger just by shining a flashlight on my nails for a few minutes. Interesting that Orly's topper is so thick, especially since it sounds like it could use more mixing. Huh. 

I'm bummed about the bats topper not living up to expectations. Especially since I can see that topper being a main reason folks would buy the set. I wish the bats were slightly bigger, too. 

@WinglessOne 

I noticed today that Orly has a listing up for the bat topper individually...maybe that's a start towards towards making the rest of them available soon 🤞

So far I'm liking the rest of the set well enough to make it worth it, so even though the bats were my main motivation, at least everything else is now worth that $64 to me 😂

I dunno why the flashlight on my phone never came to mind 🤦‍♀️ so thank you! I sat at my kitchen table for a bit just hoping ambient light there would charge it better, with no measurable results, but playing now, that does charge it up a bit more. It's still not quite as intense as I'd hoped, but I also stayed really thin with it, so I'll see how a thicker coat (or two) does next time. 

Oh wow @RGbrown! The toppers are spectacular for this time of year. The hex glitters are a lot of fun! 😍 Love the purple and teal jelly polishes; a little bummed the Oasis isn’t as dusty as it photographs but a bright teal is gorgeous too.

@itsfi 

Thanks so much! 

I think you'd like this teal...while not really dusty, it's a good summer to fall transition shade nonetheless, even if I wouldn't quite call it a "fall" teal. 

@RGbrown, every collection needs a few summer to fall transition shades. Along with a few fall to winter, and winter to spring and spring to summer transitions shades. I may have to pick up Oasis just to have a more well rounded collection. 😂 

What an adventure, @RGbrown ! 💚💜💚💜  The jellies, Wild Card, and Spellbound are very pretty.  Too bad about the bats; those would have been so cute if they had worked.  You definitely need to be a little more assertive with the gitd topper! 👻

@Titian06 

Thanks so much! I'm a little sad about the bats; if nothing else, I feel like the black dots should have either been removed altogether or replaced with dots of a different color...the way they can blend into each other really makes it hard to make out the bats (and the bats are super skinny, quite delicate looking...it doesn't take much to blur out their shape). I will definitely be going wild with the gitd topper on my next one though!! 💙

So pretty! Loving this set so far! @RGbrown 

@Mellmars1185 

Thanks so much! Disappointing bats aside, this set is so much fun, and I'm glad I picked it up. I'm glad you're enjoying it too!!!

@RGbrown It is too bad about the bats. All of the toppers I have purchased with shapes are difficult to use. I agree the dots dont help the bats stand out. I couldn't see any bats in my bottle

Butter is up on ViewYourDeal! I'm excited to see singles of the purple and green from the set I was eyeing last time ( @WinglessOne you wanted the green, I think?)

Free ship at $30

ETA: ends today!

Screenshot_20221005-152715.png

18 Replies
testing