Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Nailed It
|

Show Me Your Nails 2.0

Due to some technical glitches with the original Show Me Your Nails Thread, I am starting a new thread with @vegchililover78's blessing (She says "hello," by the way!).

Please share your nail looks, nail art and manicures!

69F442B5-7FA6-41C9-B9F9-3C495B8E78CB_1_105_c.jpeg

...And don't forget to check out @Beadshopgirl's Nail Stamping Thread for stamping inspiration! ❤️  

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Nailed-It/The-Nail-Stamping-Thread/m-p/3328865

Re: Show Me Your Nails 2.0

@Samtian 

Thanks so much! ❣️

@RGbrown - I'm drawn more to your left-hand colors, but that China Glaze color is so pretty, too bad about the brush!  I really like the stamping and color you used for that! 💖💖💖

@Titian06 

Thanks so much! I found a full size replacement for $2, so I'll be grabbing that soon, yay! 😊

@RGbrown I love the colour combinations on both hands!

@Mellmars1185 

Thanks so much! 💗

Oh no! Sorry about the brush on the CG polish @RGbrown. It’s a beautiful color, my fave (not face auto correct!) of that hand. 😍 Love the stamping plates you used too - and, of course, Revlon Molten Magic makes it pop! ♥️

@itsfi 

Thanks so much! I am so glad I came across the Revlon silver...it's been soooooo nice for stamping.

I checked out PolishPick, they've got the CG for $2. I'll be adding it to my order whenever MT and CG spring collections are ready 😁

Yesterday I decided to remove my polish and my nails are discolored. It is unfortunate because i use NAILS INC. Nailkale Superfood Base Coat . Any tips on how to avoid this?

@Mellmars1185 

Staining is inevitable, especially with darker shades (blues and greens in particular, but really, any highly pigmented shade can do it). Many of my nails are a lovely dark yellow, borderline orange shade 😖 You can try doubling up on base coat next time, it might give a bit more of a barrier to help stop some of it. I've also heard that when it comes time for removal, absolutely do not scrub at your polish with your remover...let the remover sit undisturbed until the polish is fully dissolved, then take it all off with one swipe. The theory behind it seems fairly solid...nails are not a solid single block, but rather they are made up of 100+ layers of keratin, little bits and pieces basically glued together, and scrubbing starts to work some of that remover-soaked-polish in between the layers, leaving stains that you can't get to. I've been really bad about this over the years, but recently I've been trying to be better about just leaving my piece of acetone soaked cotton alone for a minute or two to let it work without scrubbing. Not sure I've been doing it long enough to make a difference quite yet, but perhaps my yellow stains don't extend quite as far back into my new growth as they used to (or perhaps I'm just being optimistic lol).

100% acetone is also highly recommended, as it works the quickest of anything out there, minimizing removal time (and the urge to scrub lol). I do doctor mine up with a splash of glycerin and water to keep it from being quite so drying (glycerin won't mix with acetone directly, so water is required to mix the two), but it's really hard to tell exactly how much acetone is in most ready made "nail polish removers" on the market. I can vouch for Zoya's being absolutely amazing, but most any polish remover with additives is going to have water, and it's usually going to be the second ingredient, so unfortunately, you can't really deduce how much acetone they used vs the rest of the ingredients. Considering I've used some garbage removers in the past, I'm guessing at least a few water down the acetone more than necessary. 

Stained nails are normal for polish wearers, unfortunately, but if you intend to keep wearing polish regularly, it isn't much of an aesthetic issue. But if you want to try and remove what's currently on your nails, I hear cuticle remover can help. Put a little on the stain, let it sit for a few seconds (maybe a minute?) and gently wipe off. Don't go the "folk remedy" route with lemon juice or bleach soaks or scrubbing the nails with anything abrasive though...soaking is terrible for your nails in general, and scrubbing/buffing just damages the surface, thinning the nail and making it weaker.

@RGbrown Thank you so much for all of your experience and advice. I removed a navy blue on the wknd and it really changed my nail shade. I also had a hard time getting the nail polish off. I had to go back in later in the day to get the rest of the blue stain off my nails, fingers and cuticles. I dont paint my finger nails with dark colours often. In the past i have kept it pretty simple with nudes and light pinks so I think i was not prepared for the stain. I think if I save the really dark shade for my toes and the lighter shades for my fingers that might help also? Or maybe give my nails a breather after a dark nail polish? I hqvr never purchased the Zoya remover. I used a Sally Hansen nail polish remover. Now i will be checking the ingredient list!

@Mellmars1185 

Eh, nails are dead and don't need to breathe. If you're comfortable leaving them nekkid, by all means, feel free, lots of folks go through life never or rarely wearing polish, but I know for me personally, it's a terrible decision...my nails need the protection from water that polish provides in order to be able to grow any sort of length, and when my nails have nothing on them, I have nothing but stubs that peel and break continually.

Honestly, on polish remover, grab a bottle of plain acetone...you can get 16oz for $4-5 most anywhere. If you want to soften it up with some glycerin, the recipe I found is 10 parts acetone + 1 part glycerin + 1.2 parts water (this is just enough water to mix the glycerin into the acetone...I just eyeball it, adding a little water at a time until I see that all the glycerin has been mixed in). I actually find that to be a bit too much glycerin, it leaves my fingers kinda slick, borderline slimy, so I throw in a little extra acetone to tone that down a bit. 

@RGbrown that's a good tip on the glycerin!

@CookieGirl1 It has been a fantastic money saver! I was loyal to Zoya Remove+ before, but at $28/quart (and a complete lack of sales on anything other than polish on their site for over a year), it adds up pretty quickly. Sally's has a gallon of acetone for $22, and glycerin is cheap, so that's 4 times as much product for about the same money!

@RGbrown After removin my nail polish yesterday , 2 nails broke! They were long while wearing polish but as soon as i removed it they broke! I never put that together! Thats i will tey out the acetone amd glycerin and see how that goes!

@Mellmars1185 

Ah yup, if I leave mine bare for any amount of time, I tend to lose one pretty quickly too. I "never go naked" anymore...even if for whatever reason I don't have time for a full mani after a polish removal, at a bare minimum I put on a coat or two of base coat, maybe slap a layer of topcoat over it, and wear that until I have time for a full polish job.

I've been feeling a bit restless and overwhelmed with my current quantity of unused polishes (perhaps noticeable with me changing it nearly every day lately? 😋). I've got many I tend to skip over, ignoring them for newer stuff, some that have sat here for months, if not a year or more, passed over for no good reason other than I just have too many, so last night I pulled out 27 polishes to use over the next four manis, many of which are perfectly lovely shades that I've just never gotten around to using. The first batch is a bit of a rainbow skittles mix 🌈

From pinky to thumb

CND Vinylux Hot Chilis

I have no idea how long I've had this one, 3+ years maybe? I don't really even remember when or where I last picked up any Vinylux; I know I grabbed at least a few from Ulta clearance many moons ago, so perhaps it came from there. In any case, this wound up being more interesting than I realized it would be...it's a shimmery red that looks kinda sorta pink-leaning inside, but out in the sun, it's also got a warm, almost coppery leaning undertone. Lovely color, easy two coater.

Morgan Taylor Keepin' It Cool

A lovely sky blue if you like this shade...it borders too close to the powder/french/country blue that was ever so popular in awful 80's decor, so I'm not a huge fan. It was an easy two coater, and the silver shimmer almost saves it for me, but not quite 😅

OPI Rated Pea-G

A lovely primary green cream, easy two coater. Extremely close to Revlon Posh.

OPI OPI Nails The Runway

A clear base with silver shimmer, and just a pinch of red, blue, and pink shimmers are apparent in the bottle, though sadly, I can't really catch any of the colors on the nail. This took 4 coats to build up to full coverage, but I believe it would make a lovely topper as well.

OPI Vesper

The first coat applies as a gorgeous deep royal purple (and I was so excited), but the second coat turns it to a much darker and muddy brown-leaning plum, moving it into almost-black territory for me, which I don't find exciting. Pretty shade, if that's your jam, but perhaps not for me. It's also one of their Liquid Sand formulas, which I normally love, but many of them have glitter for more interest, where as this one doesn't. 

IMG_20220124_115246112_HDR.jpg

@RGbrown, the green in this mani jumps out at me, very pretty. 💚 OPI OPI Nails the Runway sounds like it would make a beautiful topper - silver, red, blue and pink shimmers? Oh yes!! I wonder how it would look atop the polishes in this mani. I could see it being an excellent complement to these shades. 

@itsfi 

Thanks so much! I'll have to try to remember to use it as a topper at some point soon 

These are nice, @RGbrown , 💖💖💖 though I'm not crazy about OPI Vesper.

@Titian06 

Vesper is definitely my least favorite as well, especially considering it swatched like this (lone one on the bottom right):

IMG_20220124_162513476.jpg

I know one coat on paper isn't a perfect representation of a color, but I test combos this way pretty frequently and I've never had one change so drastically with a second coat before. There was no hint of muddy brown at all 🤨

@RGbrown - Thanks for sharing your swatch!  That is a gorgeous color!  How disappointing...😞

6 Replies
testing