Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Nailed It
|

Show Me Your Nails 2.0

Due to some technical glitches with the original Show Me Your Nails Thread, I am starting a new thread with @vegchililover78's blessing (She says "hello," by the way!).

Please share your nail looks, nail art and manicures!

69F442B5-7FA6-41C9-B9F9-3C495B8E78CB_1_105_c.jpeg

...And don't forget to check out @Beadshopgirl's Nail Stamping Thread for stamping inspiration! ❤️  

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Nailed-It/The-Nail-Stamping-Thread/m-p/3328865

Re: Show Me Your Nails 2.0

Ooh I love a vampy nail @RGbrown ! Gorgeous! 💞

@Sunnysmom 

Thanks so much! 💜

@RGbrown  Love these. Sparked are the best! 

Thank you @ather!

@RGbrown i want to give stamping another go - can you give me a pep talk with a few tips lol... I got so down last time I attempted and failed 🙏🏽🙏🏽🙏🏽 Also anyone else with this & tricks!! @itsfi 👀

@SAlyFitz 

I'll build on @itsfi's comments...practice practice practice! If you don't have a silicone mat (doesn't have to be a fancy or expensive nail mat, any silicone placemat or baking sheet liner will do), just a plastic lid from a butter tub or the like, or even a ziploc bag will work. Lay out some swatches of whatever color(s) you want to experiment with, and stamp on those. It'll help you get a feel for what you're doing without the pressure of having it be perfect for your nails.

Some things I had to play with as I got into it:

🔸are you using regular polish or stamping polish? If regular polish, know that not every one of them will work well. It can absolutely be done, but there's an extra element of trial and error with finding the best options. Look for ones that are well pigmented and vibrant...anything sheer likely won't transfer well, and might not show up at all. The stamping manis I'm most disappointed in are usually the ones where I didn't bother to test my color choices first.

🔸Light pressure should be all you need when picking up the image from the plate onto the stamper. You're just barely looking to "kiss" the plate, with a rolling motion. Pushing down too hard can warp the image, or even push the polish out of the etching and leave you with bare spots or blobs.

🔸I see a lot of folks say to only scrape once, but I say play with it. Maybe it's my angle or my pressure, but I usually get a clearer stamp if I scrape twice.

🔸Be quick! That stamp is so thin, the polish is drying almost as soon as you scrape it. I've got a fluid single motion going when I stamp: scrape, drop the scraper, grab the stamper, roll across the plate, then stamp. It takes a little practice to figure out what setup works best for you to allow you to move as quickly as possible.

🔸If all else fails, maybe try putting a sticky base coat down. Let it dry til tacky, then stamp on it. It'll help grab the polish off the stamper. 

🔸Regular topcoat can smudge the stamping if you aren't careful or aren't accustomed to "floating" your topcoat (basically using more than you normally would to keep the brush suspended off the nail). A water based topcoat won't smudge art, but you'll still want to top that with a regular quick dry topcoat, as water based won't last long on its own.

I hope that helps, but if you've got any specific questions or issues, I'm more than happy to dig into them if I can!

Thank you! I just planned out my next 4 manis and will attempt the stamp on the 4th, stay tuned lol 🥰🥰🤗

@SAlyFitz!!! Yaaay! You can do this! You do such a beautiful job with your nails and with dip nails; you'll get nail stamping!

The big thing for me is that I overthink it when it comes to nail art or stamping. 😣  The best thing to help with the overthinking was to just practice a few times with the stamper to get a feel for the right amount of pressure and then to just go for it. 

The other thing I did with my first few stamping tries was that I started out slowly, and only stamped 1 or 2 nails with each manicure. It helped to take off the pressure and nerves, and built up my confidence. 

Thanks! I’m gonna try!!🤞🏼🤗

@SAlyFitz 

Ahhhhh, I meant to write something up last night but got sidetracked and completely forgot 😒 I will today though! 

@RGbrown @itsfi saw this post on the Polish Pickup FB page and thought of you ladies!

Screenshot 2021-04-21 160258.jpg

@CookieGirl1, black and flakies make a fun combo for polish.

@CookieGirl1 

Ahhh, what fun inspo!

Now I just need someone to make an Ulta orange and pink 🤣

Oooh, orange and pink, @RGbrown? Perfect for spring and summer!

@itsfi 

Indeed! I guess I know what I'm keeping an eye out for at PPU/HHC next month 😂

TJM already has some of the OPI spring collection; I swear it gets quicker with every release. They didn't have the green that I've been eyeing pretty heavily, but I decided to give the yellow a shot!

Yellow: OPI Bee-hind the Scenes

A pale buttery shade. A bit streaky, as is typical for pastels in general and yellows in particular, so no surprises there. I went heavy with the second coat and mostly got by with it, though I've got one thin spot on my left thumb that's bugging me a bit. Pretty shade, even with the troubles though.

Blue: Butter Patent Shine in Bang On!

A lovely deep teal, slightly smoky, a type of blue I can never get enough of. As much as I love Butter's regular polishes, I believe this is my very first one from their Patent Shine line, and I was pretty impressed with it. Dang near one-coater; I did two out of habit, but I only had one thin spot on one nail that really needed that second one. 

Silver: Essie Gadget Free

A very pretty, dense shimmer shade. Shows some brush strokes, but not terribly so. Easy two coater.

Decided to play with horizontal vs vertical to see which I liked best. Vertical wins for me, as most of my horizontal lines wound up slightly crooked, tilting just ever so slightly off kilter. My vertical lines aren't perfect either, but it feels less noticeable...perhaps the length helps disguise it?

Watermark_1619031660037.png

Watermark_1619031626089.png

@RGbrown, your lines look perfect, both the vertical and horizontal ones. 😍 Love the 2-dot effect, very cool! 😎 

Nice work with the yellow polish; I would not have guessed by your manicure that you had trouble with it (though I hear ya with yellow nail polish). 

@itsfi 

I hate that yellow is such a pain; I'd love to collect a few more shades, but every time I use one, I remember why I rarely look at them. Good for my wallet, I guess 😋

@RGbrown Beautiful!

Thank you @Samtian! 💙💛

@RGbrown  I am loving the yellow!!!!

4 Replies
testing