Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Nailed It
|

Show Me Your Nails 2.0

Due to some technical glitches with the original Show Me Your Nails Thread, I am starting a new thread with @vegchililover78's blessing (She says "hello," by the way!).

Please share your nail looks, nail art and manicures!

69F442B5-7FA6-41C9-B9F9-3C495B8E78CB_1_105_c.jpeg

...And don't forget to check out @Beadshopgirl's Nail Stamping Thread for stamping inspiration! ❤️  

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Nailed-It/The-Nail-Stamping-Thread/m-p/3328865

Re: Show Me Your Nails 2.0

Oooh, sparkly!!! Perfect for birthday nails @samkeaysxo! 😃

@samkeaysxo 

Love the bling! Happy birthday! 🎂

A little blue & purple mashup today 💙💜

Right hand: Painted Polish Salt Lake Serenity (purple) and Cupcake Polish Fallout (blue with a purple shift at certain angles)

IMG_20200929_163922799.jpg

IMG_20200929_164327711.jpg

this angle captures at least a little of the purple showing through on my ring finger

Left hand: LBK Don't Steal My Teal and LBK Ulta Violet Rays

IMG_20200929_164157259.jpg

IMG_20200929_164232052.jpg

flash shows off the strong blue shimmer hiding in the purple

The shifts on the polishes are really pretty @RGbrown! 😍 So are those pink flakies in Serenity! 💗💜

Thank you @itsfi! 💜💙

New to me brand, Cirque Colors in Halcyon. Dried fairly quickly, applicator is pretty standard. Pretty shimmer that borders on a foil look!

E4DD760A-6594-43F2-A6AF-A5FCF5A1AF36.jpeg

6066ED68-60A2-4EC8-AABF-90B0EDF2846B.jpeg

The sparkles on this one look nice in the sunlight @eshoe.

It’s a polish your niece might enjoy, @itsfi - very bright and cheery🌈🌸

@eshoe 

Gorgeous color! Cirque makes really nice polish! ❣️

I am really impressed with the glittery shimmer, @RGbrown! Do you have a favorite shade(s) from the brand?

@eshoe 

I've only got two from them, but both are stunning! 

Vaporwave (lilac purple shimmer with a pink shift) and Madder (candy apple red holo). I think both are discontinued now though...I picked them up in a crazy clearance deal at JCrew of all places, for something like $3 each, a couple of years ago. I'd love to get more at some point, but I'm also trying to curb my continual magpie tendencies towards shiny new things 😂

Of course they are discontinued @RGbrown 😆 I had some bath salts from J Crew (can’t recall the brand) but I remember they had some fun finds. My biggest peeve with the Cirque so far is that my nails are ALL chipping already. Could be the top coat, I’m trying a new one, Essie🤷🏻‍♀️

@eshoe 

Ack, oh no on the chipping! Definitely give it a try with another base or top coat...sometimes a certain combo just doesn't work for some reason. Though sometimes it's just the polish with your specific chemistry... I find Formula X polishes to be picky with me; they tend to crack and start flaking within a couple of days, no matter what I use with 'em 😥

I didn’t even think of trying another base, @RGbrown. I will have to dig through my little collection and see what I have. If you have a good one you’d recommend, I’m all ears.

@eshoe 

I'm actually light on recommendations (at least, personally tested ones); the only one I've used with any regularity is Butter London's Nail Foundation, and it's been my staple for years now. I just happened to have a bottle from one of their box sets a few years back, and started using it when my ridges got pronounced enough to need it...and I liked it well enough to continue it. Ridge filling base coats aren't nearly as widespread, so I've just kept buying it instead of hunting other brands. But now that Ulta has stopped carrying the brand, I'll probably be looking for a new one myself in the future 😥

Also, since I change my polish a couple of times a week, longevity isn't really something I look for or pay attention to 😋 With the Butter base, I could generally get a week out of a mani back when I was waiting that long, but even pre-quarantine, I was ready to change it up after 7-8 days, whether it needed it or not. 

All that said, I've heard good things about Zoya Anchor (and I'm a die hard Zoya fan, so it's probably no surprise that I toss that one out there). I actually have a bottle, but it's doesn't fill my ridges, so I've only tried it once or twice. It seemed fine, but I only left it on a couple of days, so...

There's also CND Stickey, which might be worth a shot. It dries down slightly tacky for a little extra grip on the polish. 

Oh YES I went through a bottle of the Butter, it was fantastic @RGbrown. I’m using NailsINC. Kale base now and love it. Takes a while to dry down but that’s the only minor - . 

I buff my nails to get rid of any ridges first, so I think I will give the Zoya a try. I have a couple of their polishes and they are gorgeous (but glitter, so I don’t wear them often as they are a major pain to remove, ugh). Thank you for the suggestions!

@eshoe 

I'd actually suggest not buffing! Nails aren't a solid block; they're made up of multiple thin layers of keratin, and once you break the top of a layer, it's prone to start peeling. If you aren't having a problem with peeling, then it's just something to keep in the back of your mind, should problems arise in the future. But if you're having troubles with thin, peeling nails (which could also cause chipping polish on the tips, as thin nails give way easier and the polish breaks off), definitely think about laying off the buffing and letting the damage grow out. 😊

Multiple layers @RGbrown? I had no idea. I associated peeling with frequent polish application, as if the ingredients were damaging to the nail. You are opening my eyes to an entirely new approach to nails😂

@eshoe 

Around 50 layers, I believe, is the common estimate! 

I think that "frequent polish application causes damage" is also a myth! I'm doing mine roughly twice a week now, and they are as strong and healthy as ever. Unless you're soaking your nails in acetone for 30+ minutes a day, neither the polish nor the remover is doing anything that can't be undone. Acetone is drying, but a little cuticle oil can counteract that immediately. And polish itself isn't harmful...if anything, it provides a few more layers of protection! The only concern, especially with darker polishes, is a bit of yellowing on the nail, and I admit I have that...but it's normal and not a concern from a "are my nails healthy?" standpoint...it's only an aesthetic issue. I keep mine painted all the time anyways, so I don't much worry about it. Go forth and polish!! 😂❣️

Ha I agree, @RGbrown 👍🏼 I kept a pedicure but my hands were usually bare until the past few months. The problem has always been frequent hand washing for me so everything there chips and it seems not worth the trouble. BUT with extra time, it’s been fun to get back into it. 

@eshoe 

Oof, yeah, water is a nail killer, and all the extra hand washing (and sanitizer) needed these days certainly doesn't help! If you can, keep some cuticle oil and/or hand cream handy...it can help counteract the drying effect a bit.

18 Replies
testing