Your Basket is Empty
Sign in to see items you may have added previously.
See samples, rewards and promotions in .

Item Added to Basket

Free Shipping!

You're only $50.00 away from Free Shipping.

Post in Nailed It

Nail Polish and Consumer Reports

Anyone see this Consumer Reports study that tested 10 different polishes including a $2 one from Walgreens called Sinful Colors and the $27 one from Chanel?  Of course there were eight in between.  Any guesses on the results.  The $2 one came out on top while the Chanel finished in last place.  As a nail polish enthusiast, I wanted to pass along the news.  I am going to pick one up and give it a try.  That is so cheap that it is not breaking a no buy, right?  

Re: Nail Polish and Consumer Reports

haha, thanks. I decided I need to lighten up a little, and it seems appropriate for summer. =)

I'll wander over to your blog to see the pictures.  You'll have to tell us how the polish holds up over time.  I've been tempted to try something like that with some eyeshadows that are pretty, just not pretty on my eyes.

Ahaha, I haven't written a post about it yet since I'm currently testing the wear time. It definitely wears well with a top coat, but if you don't dump a ton of eyeshadows in, I think it wears well without a top coat as well. Right now I've got a nail with the original clear polish and a nail with powder+ polish because I want to see which one wears down first, so it's gonna be a couple of days.

Thanks for sharing! Definitely give Sinful polishes a try, they're awesome in both quality, choice of colors, and price. Back in high school I had a big collection of nail polish (zero makeup) and a majority of them were from Sinful because of the price and selection. Also Walgreens was so close by and I frequented them all the time after school, quickly adding to my collection. I changed my nail color all the time back then.
Funny that you posted this at a time I just happened picked up my first Chanel nail color. I didn't find the quality of the polish to be any higher, but I do find the packaging to be very lux, especially the bottle. There is a lip inside the bottom of the neck of the bottle (just like a lip gloss or mascara tube) where you can wipe of excess polish instead of getting it all over the top opening. I thought it was neat. It seems for this though, I was paying more for the name and fancy packaging.  

Do let us know what you think of Sinful colors when you pick one up. Smiley Happy

I am getting more excited to try out this polish.  There is a Walgreens right next to the grocery store I shop at every Tuesday, so I am thinking of just picking one up then, so I do not need to make a special trip.  Glad to read of yet another positive experience.

Packaging and name brand get me a lot!  Chanel is so pretty.  Sorry you did not find the quality in the polish.  That is how I feel about Lancome polish (even though it is a lot cheaper than Chanel polish).  

It's okay, the big win is that the Chanel polish is exactly what I was looking for after buying about 4-5 drug store shades that were very similar, but not what I had in mind, so I am pretty thrilled about that.  I picked up Chanel 575 Starlet, btw. I found the drug store brands I be more on the neon side.

That is good.  It is always nice when you find the perfect shade.

Oh, I have several Sinful Colors polishes hanging around! The brand really is good quality for something you just pick up at the drugstore, and the color range is fantastic. Report back when you try them out!

Thanks, I will.

good to know! I like Consumer Reports overall, because they aren't biased...however, I do believe that many items are made by the same manufacturers and given different labels.I mean, really--does every single grocery store have their own manufacturers for their store brand cereal, paper towels, etc? No, and I don't think that every single makeup item is made by a different manufacturer. That being said, it is trial and error for me with nail posishes...I just used my first Formula X and after 5 days it is just now chipping! Others that are more expensive last longeer, and some that are cheaper last a long time too. I think sometimes it has to do with the color, or glitter finishes--i have yet to use any brand of glitter polish that doesnt chip reallly quickly!  At least if you spend 2 bucks you don't' feel bad tossing it if it doesnt work well for you! Smiley Happy

143 Replies
Conversation Stats
Photos6
  • nail polish 1.jpg
  • nail polish 2.jpg
  • Julep June 2014.jpg
  • Haul 060314.jpg
  • poolside paradise.jpg
  • upload_4747296110527995759.jpg