Your Basket is Empty
Sign in to see items you may have added previously.
See samples, rewards and promotions in .

Item Added to Basket

Free Shipping!

You're only $50.00 away from Free Shipping.

Post in Nailed It

Nail Polish and Consumer Reports

Anyone see this Consumer Reports study that tested 10 different polishes including a $2 one from Walgreens called Sinful Colors and the $27 one from Chanel?  Of course there were eight in between.  Any guesses on the results.  The $2 one came out on top while the Chanel finished in last place.  As a nail polish enthusiast, I wanted to pass along the news.  I am going to pick one up and give it a try.  That is so cheap that it is not breaking a no buy, right?  

Re: Nail Polish and Consumer Reports

It's okay, the big win is that the Chanel polish is exactly what I was looking for after buying about 4-5 drug store shades that were very similar, but not what I had in mind, so I am pretty thrilled about that.  I picked up Chanel 575 Starlet, btw. I found the drug store brands I be more on the neon side.

That is good.  It is always nice when you find the perfect shade.

Oh, I have several Sinful Colors polishes hanging around! The brand really is good quality for something you just pick up at the drugstore, and the color range is fantastic. Report back when you try them out!

Thanks, I will.

good to know! I like Consumer Reports overall, because they aren't biased...however, I do believe that many items are made by the same manufacturers and given different labels.I mean, really--does every single grocery store have their own manufacturers for their store brand cereal, paper towels, etc? No, and I don't think that every single makeup item is made by a different manufacturer. That being said, it is trial and error for me with nail posishes...I just used my first Formula X and after 5 days it is just now chipping! Others that are more expensive last longeer, and some that are cheaper last a long time too. I think sometimes it has to do with the color, or glitter finishes--i have yet to use any brand of glitter polish that doesnt chip reallly quickly!  At least if you spend 2 bucks you don't' feel bad tossing it if it doesnt work well for you! Smiley Happy

True.  For cheap polish, I really like the Ulta brand.  That stuff lasts and lasts.  I will see how this compares to that.  Even though it is more expensive, I recently got some Ulta polish on sale, so the price was about the same on the recent ones.

Yup, thats called private labeling. Trader Joes is all PL. big companies give lower prices because they can produce and send a lot, don't have to do any advertising, so its high volume and smaller margin % but more margin $s.

Please tell me more about Trader Joes.  I shop there often.  If you've ever had the black bean and jack cheese burrito, you'd know why.  I could eat one of those almost everyday.

Every single thing Trader Joes has on the shelves are something popular you would see at Whole Foods or anatural  foods store or something. Sometimes they change the recipe slightly, the packaging is always disguised, and well, there's the cheaper price for the same goods! 

I shop at Whole Foods too.  At least here in Vegas, Trader Joes usually has the same or slightly lower prices than Whole Foods.  From market to market, I assume the prices vary a little.  Their chocolate covered almonds are like little dreams.

It's true...they aren't always cheaper.  Its a perceived lower price that gets the, tons of business. 

I smell a conspiracy that gets me into the door with a delicious burrito.  Whole Foods is no fool either with its fresh guacamole.  Yeah, I see them making it fresh everyday inside the store.  No one wants any day old guacamole after all.  

THIS is 100% true. My BF's dad was an SVP for Trader Joe's and he just recently retired. The only person who knows all of the brands with which TJs has manufacturing agreements is the CEO! Those secrets are very well guarded. 

They have French macarons in their freezer section as well as 4 flavors of ice cream mochi. Nuff said. XD

Ooooh.  I have never tried that.  My SIL makes some mean macaroons though, so I can always drop hints for her to make me some.

Wait, macarons are different from macaroons. Macaroon is a cluster of coconut sometimes dipped in chocolate. Macaron, or french Macaron, is a very delicate cookie sandwich where the cookies are made with almond flour and egg white so it's crispy on the outside and soft/pillowy on the side, with a filling made of lightly sweetened cream or jam. It's very difficult to get right since you can't under or over mix and temperature is important, too. Eventho it's pretty tasty when you get it wrong anyways. *cough* I may or may not have researched/attempted to make it and decided it was too much trouble.

......so.......nail polish....lol.

I hate coconut, so my SIL makes great macarons.  Have I mentioned before that I cannot spell?  I did not even notice you and I had typed something different.  

How can I think about nail polish when all this talk of food is making me hungry, lol?

lol, I like coconut water and coconut milk, but I don't like coconut meat or flakes unless it's toasted so it's nutty and crunchy, perfect topping for yogurt.

Ooohh, I approve of your SIL, lol. Envy~~~

My SIL is pretty cool when she cooks for all of us.  She cooks expensive food, so she would go broke if she did it too often.  Mostly, she just cooks for herself and her wife.  She always makes me look bad at Christmas and Thanksgiving, because I buy takeout (from the grocery stores and Honeybaked Ham).  Her food always tastes better than what I bring too.

Okay, for real now,    ....  Sorry mods..... back to topic....... nail polish

Today I tried some coconut flakes that were vegan and mean to taste like bacon. They werent half bad. 

Interesting, I had the opposite experience, where I was making coconut curry and put in too much coconut milk. After 4 or 5 days (I like making big batches), the beef in the curry taste like beef textured coconut! There's zero taste of beef left. =X

Smiley Surprised whaaaaaaa?????

And now *I* need to get one of those at Trader Joes...that sounds delicious!!!

They were sold out almost every time I went into the store for months, so I boycotted the store in silent protest for a little while.  If you can find them at your store though, get them.  I love them so much.  The problem is they are so good that you will be mad when they do not have them in stock.

Lol wow they sound like a limited edition makeup collection or something Smiley Very Happy  I will for sure check it out and hope my local store has some!

143 Replies
Conversation Stats
Photos6
  • nail polish 1.jpg
  • nail polish 2.jpg
  • Julep June 2014.jpg
  • Haul 060314.jpg
  • poolside paradise.jpg
  • upload_4747296110527995759.jpg