Your Basket is Empty
Sign in to see items you may have added previously.
See samples, rewards and promotions in .

Item Added to Basket

Free Shipping!

You're only $50.00 away from Free Shipping.

Post in Nailed It

Nail Polish and Consumer Reports

Anyone see this Consumer Reports study that tested 10 different polishes including a $2 one from Walgreens called Sinful Colors and the $27 one from Chanel?  Of course there were eight in between.  Any guesses on the results.  The $2 one came out on top while the Chanel finished in last place.  As a nail polish enthusiast, I wanted to pass along the news.  I am going to pick one up and give it a try.  That is so cheap that it is not breaking a no buy, right?  

Re: Nail Polish and Consumer Reports

They are just that good.  People know how good they are, so they buy them faster than they can keep them in stock.  The burrito section always has the other burritos in it, but the spot for those is almost always empty.

Sinful Colors will be on sale in Walgreens starting 6/1/14 for only $1 with their rewards card (weekly sale). But there is a limit of 3.

Thanks for the tip.  I will sign up for the card and get 2.

ohh yay! thank you.

Highlighted

I love Sinful Colors!  I think they actually make up the bulk of my nail polish collection.  

Excellent.  I shall be picking some up on Tuesday.  Hopefully, I like it as much as you do.

I think that the formulas of the cheap brands can be just as cool but sometimes you just want the shade a higher end brand has come out with.... without waiting for it to get duped by the drugstore brands!

Yeah, I will say that Sinful Colors pretty much has the same polishes over and over again.  They'll release various collections that are mainly all repromotes, with one new polish, or it'll be a bunch of polishes that they stopped carrying in the core collection, but bring out every St. Patrick's Day, or something.

I do not own any drugstore brands (yet), but I plan to pick up some Sinful Colors on Tuesday.  I do own some Store brands (Ulta/Sephora).  I agree with you on color selection.  Although, once in a while even the cheaper brands get a fantastic color that none of the more expensive brands have.  I will never forget the time I ordered a fantastic Ulta color online (Runway Rose).  It arrived broken.  By the time I notified them, it was OOS.  Driving around my city in hunt of that color in the stores was no fun, but I was so excited when I found it.  It is one of the most beautiful colors I own.

I tell people all the time price is not the best indicator of the quality of a product.  It's a mind game, people believe if they pay more for something it is better.  A friend of my worked in a large retail chain many years ago, she told me that the very HIGH dollar shampoo and conditioner was made and shipped from the SAME factory as the less expensive shampoo and conditioner.  When she looked at the ingredients...the only difference was where the fragrance was in the list on the bottles.

I believe a lot of the products we buy are from the same companies, just different packaging and available in different levels of retail outlets.

i agree! with some items, you do get what you pay for, but with others, you can really get some bargains! Smiley Happy

actually I remember reading that the better "cheap brand" cosmetics will be made in places like Germany and Italy, for example, for eyeliners and mascaras. This is where the higher quality Luxury brands are made, and many of these companies will produce items for several labels. I have found this to be true--I think a lot of Milani products, which get rave reviews, are made in Germany or Italy. 

I personally like German cars.  My last two have been.  Although to be fair my previous car was a German car made in the USA.

Definitely true, especially when it comes to generic brands. It's a pretty safe bet that the store brand of whatever you buy is the exact same product as another store brand. 

Seems like this is a really big thing.  

Wow, that's surprising! Thanks for sharing. 

I don't really judge stuff by brand, it's more of a 'if I like that color i'll get it' kind of thing.

That being said, not all high-end brands are are better than drugstore polishes. I tried a YSL polish and had major tip wear after 1 day, and dior's new polishes are perfect with one coat and last for days.

But the same goes with drugstore polishes, some are AMAZING, and others are crappy and a waste of money.

That being said, I haven't used sinful colors since I was 12 (and back then they were really streaky for me) so i'll have to get a couple and try it out again.

It is funny that so many people have a long history with a brand I have never heard of, but I am really looking forward to trying it.  Hopefully, it works out nicely when you try it again.

I got the polish today ladies.  Either tonight or tomorrow night, I plan on using one.  I will report back in a week or so on my findings.  This brings my polish total to 114.  I found out today we are getting two in the next Glossybox too, so I should be over 120 by the end of the month.

Pretty colors, what shades are those?

Nail Junkie, Sheer Genius, and Face the Facets.

I pick up 3 as well! So far so good. Not too thick or thin, color is nice and opaque!

I have to confess I have not tried them yet.  Maybe tomorrow.  Glad you like them though.

I may have to correct myself a bit. This is on the slightly runnier side of polishes...

Uh oh.  Let us know how it turns out.  I hope to get around to painting mine sometime soon.

It is actually still kind of tacky.. not to the point that it is going to smudge or stick to things, but it does not feel completely dry yet. For reference, I only have 2 layers on.

1 Reply
Conversation Stats
Photos6
  • nail polish 1.jpg
  • nail polish 2.jpg
  • Julep June 2014.jpg
  • Haul 060314.jpg
  • poolside paradise.jpg
  • upload_4747296110527995759.jpg