Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Nailed It
|

Healthy Nails

How do you keep your nails healthy between gel manicure sessions?

Re: Healthy Nails

The nail services like manicure not only make your nails attractive but also maintain them nourished and healthy. 

pply nail polish oil frequently

Healthy Nails

Since the pandemic, I obviously can't go to the nail salon and get a manicure. (I live in California) I started taking a nail & hair vitamin, and painting my nails, regularly. Use a quality nail polish, too. I bought my own manicure set and shine & buffer set. I use castor oil on my cuticles and a heavy almond paste, hand cream. Here in the photo is my right hand, nails painted with Nails Inc, keep it tonal, in Chamomile Street. I think my hands look a little old but I am 54.

RE: Healthy Nails

I use Bliss Kiss nail oil. It is amazing. It’s the closest to the oil we naturally produce. I typically do an overnight treatment in between manis. Highly recommend!

Re: RE: Healthy Nails

Great recommendation.  Thank you.  I am always looking for products to help with my nails.  

soak them in olive oil (or use an oil nail polish bottle and paint it on!) - it's high in linoleic acid (which helps prevent the nails from peeling, because it bonds the layers of keratin together). if you want to supplement, try evening primrose oil, black currant oil and borage oil (recommended by dr. weil).

and honestly, i've used my sister's tanning oil in a pinch lol....it smells so good, and lasts forever! it's mostly liquid paraffin (mineral oil), so use it after the olive oil to keep the moisture in! i do this before bedtime...if you're worried about messy sheets, get some mittens from the dollar store!

Thank you.  Great advice.

thank you so much!

i posted an update above, but thought I would reply to you directly so that you would get a notification. i discovered high oleic acid sunflower oil, which i personally found to be more moisurizing than olive oil - possibly due to the fact that it sinks into the nails and skin more easily.

also: as a bath and swimming enthusiast, I found that keeping my nails polished when exposing them to water helped prevent them from peeling, as the water was unable to penetrate the nails and separate the layers of keratin. just something to consider if your nails are frequently exposed to water 🙂

This is amazing advice! Thank you so much!! ❤️ 

Oiling my nails daily! 

... with the salons shut down, they've honestly never looked healthier! 

happy to help!!

an update: i discovered high oleic acid sunflower oil, which works like a dream! i personally found it to be more moisurizing than olive oil, possibly due to the fact that it sinks into the nails and skin more easily.

also: as a bath and swimming enthusiast, I found that keeping my nails polished when exposing them to water helped prevent them from peeling, as the water was unable to penetrate the nails and separate the layers of keratin. just something to consider if your nails are frequently exposed to water 🙂

RE: Healthy Nails

I use nail oil on my nails and cuticles. It helps with bringing back moisture and strength to my nails after I take my gels off.
11 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 11 replies
  • 25 Hearts Given
  • 8 Contributors
Photos1
testing