Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Nailed It
|

Dip powder nails worth the hype?

I am looking into investing in a dip powder nail kit because I love getting my nails done but I’m thinking this will be a way to save money as I can do it at home and it lasts 3 weeks. When I do my nails I usually go to the salon and get shellac, and remove the shellac myself no problem. I am just wondering if you’ve tried dip nails, what products/brands you use and recommend, if you find other brands/products mix well (using one brand for the colour and another brand for everything else), if the process is too long/too much work/too difficult/worth it? And any other recommendations you may have 🤗 colour selection important to me too!

Re: Dip powder nails worth the hype?

I've been doing this for about 6 months and I really love it. It's darn near bulletproof for the entire wear period, which mostly depends on how fast your nails grow. You don't fill them like acrylics... you take them off every time. But you soak them off after buffing off the top clear layer, so it's not like shellac where you might damage the nail bed scraping it off.

I'm definitely not coordinated enough to do it myself and have it look nice, so I go to a salon for it. But if you're of those people who can do paint-on gels at home and have it come out pretty much perfect, you'll be fine with a kit.

RE: Re: Dip powder nails worth the hype?

Amazing thank you for the reply!

Dip powder nails are a great alternative to acrylics and last longer than gel polish. I do recommend you get a kit and take the time to learn how to do your own. Salons just started offering them (at least in my area) and the sanitation of the process is questionable. There are a few good kits that aren’t costly. 

Why do you find the sanitation questionable?

I switched to dipping powder after about a year of using bio gel/acrylic nails. It's changed my nail game. My nails used to crack or break off within a week of getting them done which was not only painful but expensive to fix. In comes dipping powder. It's bee about 6 months since I switched and my nails are stronger than ever. It's idiot proof to apply and the colour choices from Nugenesis and Not Polish are wicked - they have every colour you've ever wanted from neons to neutrals to glitter. You will not be disappointed! Your nails will thank you 🙂 If you have any other questions, please let me know and I'll do my best to help.

That sounds amazing! Now with those two brands you use can you use colours from other brands (if you wanted something specific) thank you so much for your feedback you make me want to order one right now lol

Thanks for sharing @shopaholic15 My nails have not fully recovered from wearing acrylic and I want to get nails again but I do not want my real nails to be damaged. 

Can you, please, advise brands and where you get them. Th...

Can you, please, advise brands and where you get them. Thank you in advance

RE: Can you, please, advise brands and where you get them. Th...

Thank you both super helpful !

Re: Can you, please, advise brands and where you get them. Th...

I use Nugenesis and Not Polish. You can get them direct from their websites. A salon near me sells them (I'm downtown Toronto). They run about $14 per colour and the system is around $25.

I have been wondering the same thing! @LeeLa29 My nail tech says that it is good to use and that it helps your nails grow but I have heard good and bad things about it. I hope someone responds to this thread and helps us out! 🙂

Best,

Zakiya

11 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 11 replies
  • 16 Hearts Given
  • 6 Contributors
testing