cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Parents Only
|

cradle cap

hi mamas! 

baby related question! anyone have any tips for getting rid of cradle cap?   i know i know it will go away eventually on its own and it bugs me more than her - but that's because she can't see the top of her head!! 😛

cradle cap

Coconut oil worked for us, and my daughter had it pretty bad. The coconut oil has also made her hair grow in a lot faster than it was before, believe it or not. If the coconut oil doesn't work well, you can talk with your pedi, and have them prescribe an oil specifically for cradle cap.

Also I used one of the brushes they give you at the hospi...

Also I used one of the brushes they give you at the hospital to really get it worked into yet scalp.

RE: cradle cap

My daughter has it too. We used to use coconut oil and it worked great but beware. For some reason, the combination of the coconut oil on the infants head creates a sour milk type smell.

Re: cradle cap

I would let an oil, like coconut oil, sit on the scalp for a few hours and then use thoes soft bristle baby brushes the massage the scalp and brush it continuously for a few minutes. Wash babes hair and you should see  significant difference in the flakyness. I had to do this about once a month for a few months during the winter. Hope this helps 🙂 FFDFC49D-B23D-47CB-8FAC-347D05005E61.jpeg

I just did the old fashioned method of massaging a little olive oil into my babies scalp and using a fine tooth comb to comb out as much as I could. That usually took care of it after a few times. But it definitely bothered me more than any of my kids! 😀

Re: RE: cradle cap

I did the same @lschmaltz @sparklekai  Applied olive oil liberally all over his scalp and combed the flaky stuff away. It only needed one treatment, but it looked worlds better!  I probably should’ve split it up a little because I think the combing started to irritate his skin a little

I found that the Burt’s bees baby ointment worked wonders. You can use it for everything from cradle cap to diaper rash.

I agree with the coconut oil. I used that on both my boys when they were infants. It worked so well!

My child has a very bad case of cradle cap.  It lasted over 6 weeks. We had to see a dermatologist and got a script for topical medication/steroid. My other two had it and got over it within a week. 

we're on almost 4 months!!! 

I would massage either coconut oil or olive oil onto my baby's head about 30 minutes to an hour before his bath and gently comb off as much as I could, then wash off the mess during his bath. 

@sparklekai My baby had it. Few hours before his bath I put Honest Company Healing Balm on his head and let it soak. Then While bathing him I gently massaged his head with washing cloth to get rid of the flakes. He had lots of hair so it was greasy mess but it helped a lot and after month or so it was gone completely. You can also use baby oil or coconut oil.  

EDIT: Now that I think about it, it was less then a month. More like 2-3 weeks.

If your baby will let you, try to use your nails to gently massage (ok, scratch) the patches in visible areas when you shampoo her hair.  It will lift off, but will also come back until they outgrow it.

Some pediatricians suggest using baby oil.  That just gives your kid cradle cap AND a super greasy head. Lesson learned!  😵

my mom keeps telling me just to slather her in vaseline and it will soften her right up 😛

Vaseline? Hmm..... I've not heard that one.  I'm intrigued...

If you'd like to be the guinea pig @sparklekai, I'd love to hear how that goes! 

@RachFace2921 i tried it - no difference at all! 

My son had it. The only thing you can do is use gentle shampoo like Aveeno when bathing their hair to scrub it away and then apply Aveeno lotion in the spots that have it. It will eventually go away.

Re: RE: cradle cap

how often did you wash his hair?

Conversation Stats
  • 18 replies
  • 15 Hearts Given
  • 13 Contributors
Photos1
  • FFDFC49D-B23D-47CB-8FAC-347D05005E61.jpeg
testing