Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Parents Only
|

Setting a Good Example

When my daughter was younger I was so on top of taking care of myself and how I looked. I thought that was a good thing until she didn’t want to leave the house without her lipgloss at three! Between my allergies and being a mom I totally fell of the self care wagon; but now I have a rising 7th grader who doesn’t want to take care of her own beauty regime (skin, hair, ect) because I’ve been a poor model for self love! How do other moms with preteen/teens teach a healthy balance between self care and pride in appearance without stumbling into the superficial zone? Moms of teens+ please!

Re: Setting a Good Example

I am not a mother but I have been a teenager (who would have guessed) so I thought I reply anyway.

I think a lot depends on your daughter's personality, your relationship & how far you can still influence her - I honestly think at a certain age kids look elsewhere for role models (for better or worse) & not at their parents, which is natural, healthy & important to become independent. 

I went through a phase where I didn't care much about my appearance either, I think many teenagers do & I don't think it is necessarily something to be concerned about. There are a lot of changes one goes through as a teenager, a lot one needs to get used to or grow into. Just think back, there is a lot going on during puberty. 😉

I think there isn't much you can do at the moment. She has her own mind & teenagers need to figure out themselves who they want to be & find themselves, so to speak. She will most likely find some interested in make-up & skincare again when it matters to her. I don't think anything has to do with you being a poor role model. Don't worry too much about it. Let her go through that phase & take care of yourself, she will see that. Just set a good example now & if you can still have an influence on her there maybe that helps for now. 😉

1 Reply
Conversation Stats
  • 1 reply
  • 8 Hearts Given
  • 2 Contributors
testing