Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Parents Only
|

Pregnancy Acne / Melasma / Hyperpigmentation

Did any other mammas get the trifecta? I have all three and it’s like I don’t know who is in the mirror anymore. My skin is so sensitive anything makes it break out, and the hyperpigmentation does not go away.... after the blemis goes away the pigmentation stays, turns brown, and blends in with the new melasma that has shown up around my face. Does anyone have anything that works to help all three while pregnant??

RE: Pregnancy Acne / Melasma / Hyperpigmentation

For a cleanser- try to find a water based cleanser (should be then first ingredient) try using a gentle cream or gel cleanser (or if you’re oily you can try a foaming cleanser), use organic witch hazel (find it at any grocery store or target for like $2-$3) and use that to tone your skin afterwards. Moisturizer: search for vitamin c and SPF 30 or LESS- the sod will help with hyper pigmentation and discoloration. At night be sure your PM moisturizer is oil free and if your doctor says it’s okay- get one with a small retin-a or retinol percentage to help with your complexion. Do not wear retinol or ret.-a in the sun!!! Take like warm showers. Cold pressed Manuka Honey with K Factor 16 or more ONLY will help internally and externally if you decide to use this as a spot treatment or even a face mask.

I got acne bad. I had to get medicated acne cream from my dermatologist. For the hyperpigmentation use sunscreen but it should go away once you have the baby. The sunscreen will prevent it from getting worse. You could try vitamin c but consult with ob first. @ryyy

It is difficult to treat skin properly while pregnant when the two major additives that work wonders on the skin are highly advised not to use during pregnancy. Retinol and Salicylic acid additives work the hardest, strongest and best on blemishes and spots. Unfortunately you like myself during my pregnancies have been cursed with the mask of the unknown, that’s what I called it because I to did not recognize myself. I am a certified esthetician and makeup artist and I see so many ladies come in to see me with this problem. Because they are pregnant and I am not a licensed physician, only a licensed nutritionist , my advise is minimal because I will not recommend something that I’m not willing to implement myself and also , one that I am without a shred of doubt is a safe route to venture down. This is what I recommend. First, make sure you are washing your face in the morning and evening with a safe yet effective cleanser. Follow it with a safe toner that does not burn when applying and does not contain any inappropriate additives. Every other night or third night, exfoliate your skin with an excellent exfoliator and a Clarisonic, spin brush or even an exfoliating glove. Take care not to be rough on your skin. You do not want to irritate it at all. And if every other day or three days is too much then once or twice a week will suffice. It’s very important to moisturize your skin, even if you are oily. Moisturizing daily after every cleansing routine helps to hydrate your skin among many other things and leave it soft and supple. So many people complain about their oily skin. What I tell them is this,”you are fortunate to be oily. Oily skin has a tendency to stay hydrated longer, stay more plump and appear to have younger looking skin. Where as those with dry skin age at a faster rate because they not only lack retaining the moisture you put on it, they do not retain any of their own moisture in their skin. Frown likes, crows feet and worry wart dents will appear at a younger age due to the dryness. So those with oily skin, be thankful and just find a good regime for yourself to help keep it under control. Back to what I was saying, drink plenty of water and eat dark leafy greens with every meal. The greens will help to build vitamins in your system and also prevent breakouts because despite what anyone says, we are what we eat. You want healthy skin , you must provide it with healthy nutrients. And last, use a very good sunscreen that contains titanium or zinc oxide. These sunscreens do not absorb into skin as others do. These sit on the top of your skin preventing the entering of UV rays, the most damaging, along with all sunlight. This is a must for babies, teens, adults, elders, everyone!!! I always wear a hat also when I know I will be in the sun for prolonged amounts of time. Especially when I was pregnant and my hormones caused me to slightly break out leaving scars behind such as yours. Once my pregnancy was over and I stopped breastfeeding I went straight to work to recover any damage done to my skin. It took me awhile but I am now 42 without a brown spot in sight. Unfortunately pregnancy comes with so many sacrifices, of course ones well worth it but it sometimes doesn’t make it easier. Don’t be discouraged. And don’t lose Home. You will have your beautiful face and pre baby body back in no time. And a piece of you to live for all the hard work. Well worth it. Take care. Jess Q
3 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 Hearts Given
  • 4 Contributors
testing