Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Post in Parents Only
|

Postpartum Hair loss

After having my son, I've noticed I've lost a lot of hair. Is there a treatment or shampoo/conditioner you can recommend? Ive seen things on Pinterest that supposedly help like the castor oil, but I want to see if that really helps. Please advise.

RE: Postpartum Hair loss

When youโ€™re pregnant your hair goes into a resting phase. It doesnโ€™t shed like you normally do during pregnancy. After you deliver the hair is outta of that resting state causing you to shed more than usual. If you think itโ€™s excessive I would recommend a dermatologist

It will fall out BUT 1.) eating tons of leafy greens and your vitamins will help. 2.) a castor oil and organic black chia seeds mixture will make a combo that stimulates hair growth in your scalp- massage it all over twice weekly. 3.) try to resist hot hot showers! Use a comb in the shower and gently comb bottom to top. Donโ€™t leave your towel in your hair afterwards. Try to let your hair air dry as much as possible. And MOST IMPORTANTLY:::::: take โ€œVital Proteins flavorless Collagen PEPTIDESโ€ if you are unsure- email viral protein in their website and tell them your concerns. Youโ€™ll *LOVE* this stuff

I feel ya girl! I've got four kiddies and with each kiddo...

I feel ya girl! I've got four kiddies and with each kiddo, I've lost tremendous amounts of hair.. unfortunately, there's not much you can do as it's your hormones that are causing this (from my understanding anyways). I found a new hairdo/cut would help cover up the thinning and weird new hair growth after my hair started to come back.

Re: I feel ya girl! I've got four kiddies and with each kiddo...

@tbehmer ๐Ÿ˜‚ im telling you, the struggle is real! My hairdresser has told me after I had my now,9yr old daughter and third child, I had something called the "6 yr curse" ..I thought it was a joke but apparently it's a real thing from what I've read.. But I agree that getting a trim more than usual also helped me after having my babies.. Anyway props to you hun bc I salute all mothers, but when your still sane with Four? Yeah, I always have to give extra props for the simple fact, it is NOT EASY AND TAKES A SUPER MOM TO DO THE JOB! haha... Thanks chick ๐Ÿ˜Š

Re: Postpartum Hair loss

Oh sweetie, bless you as I've had 4 kids and can tell you coconut oil and milk, and staying on your prenatal vitamins do help a little, hair loss after a child is simply hormones and there's not allot one can do to actually stop it. It WILL however take a chill pill and stop coming out on its own in time though ๐Ÿ˜Š But don't stress to much as it is very normal and like I said, keep taking your vitamins and putting coconut oil in mine helped, and to this day helps bc I have thin hair anyway.. Congrats on your new addition and I wish you both nothing less than the best!!! โค๏ธ๐Ÿ’™

I'm 6m pp and only lost hair at end of 4m.. so I decided to cut my hair short because it was so long and it kinda solve my problem ..or my hormones stop being crazy ๐Ÿ˜œ

I have heard there isnโ€™t much you can do to avoid hair loss postpartum โ€” it is really based on your body and your hormones on how much hair youโ€™ll lose after the baby. Whenever Iโ€™ve had a baby, I usually just try to cut my hair and keep it trimmed to help make it feel thicker. And buy a TubShroom so that you donโ€™t have to unclog your drain!!

In my experience the best product would be Nioxin brand shampoos and conditioner. Read some of the reviews at Amazon and maybe pick up a small bottle to try for a few weeks. Eat well, dont skimp on fats and calories, and as others have said biotin is a worthwhile supplement to take. Post partum hair loss is quite normal and generally settles down within a few months. Try to not stress it - easier said than done I know - but this is normal! ๐Ÿ™‚

Nioxin is very good for making your hair look fuller, but it will not stimulate your hair follicles. I only mention this because there seems to be a misunderstanding about what Nioxin can do for you. It is a good product - it simply isnโ€™t meant to get that hair back. 

Rogaine and proper nutrition have worked for me every time. There is a reason you scrub your hands after applying Rogaine and keeping it off your face. It doesnโ€™t just stimulate follicles on your scalp.  Biotin I would definitely recommend, as well as Calcium Magnesium Zinc. 

aveda's invati products are MIRACLE WORKERS! it's a natural version of nioxin and rogaine and healthy/safe if you're breastfeeding. regrew my hair after losing a ton after 2 kids...

I just started growing mine back and it was sticking up all over the place for a bit there:D.  Hairspray and a toothbrush really helped.   I donโ€™t think anything really helps with losing it though.  Youโ€™re going to lose a predetermined amount of hair as your hormones regulate and all the hair you naturally would have lost during the pregnancy falls out at once instead of during its regular growth cycle.  I think the only reason people believe castor oil works is because their hair is already starting to come back in around the time they panick and start using it.  

It was very startling how much I lost around the 6-9month mark (I had patches on my head where I thought I was going to go bald) but my hair is thicker again now.  All I did was take vitamin B supplements (biotin is awesome for your hair as is vitamin E)

If youโ€™re super concerned I would go to your gp and get your thyroid checked.  Itโ€™s always a good idea after giving birth anyway;) @Chavelita6l

in the meantime you can make your hair appear thicker with thickening shampoo and if your hairline is looking sparse, some brow pomade brushed into the hairline with a spoolie is helpful:) 

Love the toothbrush /hairspray tip!

thank you @heartsmyface for the tip. I will need to go buy some biotin supplements

@IlesHaircare thank you. I will take a look at the product.

I haven't heard of castor oil, but I actually don't know if there's anything you can do. The hair loss is hormonal and stops, usually after a few months (as my OB explained it, when you're pregnant, your hormones actually reduce shedding by slowing the natural hair follicle cycle; after you have the baby your body tries to go back to normal and the pendulum usually swings too far in the other direction for a little while).

You may need to find creative ways to style - when it started regrowing, I would end up with crazy little hairs sticking out everywhere.  Like we don't take enough of an esteem beating with all of the other post pregnancy changes!  Congrats on the little one, btw ๐Ÿ™‚

You may want to get your thyroid checked. Pregnancy can really throw your hormones out of whack.

Re: RE: Postpartum Hair loss

Really good advice.

Iโ€™ve experience severe hair loss due to stress - three times. Pregnancy hair loss follows the same pattern, but always check that thyroid. Severe for me means at least half my hair, so I know what youโ€™re going through.

Good news: It will grow back, but the times Iโ€™ve used Rogaine for women has helped regrowth a lot (itโ€™s inexpensive). There are difference patterns of hair loss. If around the forehead and ears, it is usually temporary. Female pattern baldness is heriditary and usually starts from the top of the head. Babies and stress? It will regrow. Itโ€™s traumatizing, but it will come back.

I'm on the same ship as you! I'm 6 months postpartum and I loss so much during 4month ppt to now. After my first pregnancy I was balding around my hair line. But it eventually stopped. Take some vitamins (E) and don't wash your hair daily. If it becomes that bad you can tie it up your hair and cut your bangs, that's what I did. Good Luck!!

@Chavelita6 I had lost so much hair that I chopped it all off. Somehow that helped at the time. I hear castor oil is really good but never had much luck with it. 

@jesscheemsthank you.

Conversation Stats
  • 20 replies
  • 31 Hearts Given
  • 15 Contributors
testing