Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Parents Only
Anonymous Insider

No makeup skills..

Hello all, I am a 22 year old mother of 3 ages 6, 4, and 1. I have no makeup skills at all and whenever I try more then just a little foundation and eyeliner I look like I have been in a fist fight.. I really would love to understand the whole makeup process so any tips would be a God sent. I am 5'2" and EVERYONE says I look 15 or younger.. and I hate it. I would really love to look mature and my age.. I have been married from the age of 17 and my husband has rarely ever seen me wear makeup, and whenever I do it's just eyeliner. Foundation is for special occasions, or I buy it and it just sits. My face is very dry and sensitive. Whenever I put foundation or anything on my face it flakes and my face burn. I would love to be able to pull of bold and sexy, not cute or sweet.. I am so over cute. Mature and sexy is where I want to be. Thank you 😊

RE: No makeup skills..

Lots of trial and error. YouTube and Pinterest are great helps. I’ve also learned a lot from these forums. It takes time but you’ll get there.

I watch tons of YouTube videos when I can and while my boys are busy, I practice all the tips and tricks I’ve learned.

Re: No makeup skills..

Dang this brings back memories. My parents, myself, and boyfriend at the time went out to eat when I was in college. I was 20/21 at the time and they offered me a kids' menu. I can understand looking young but Under 12..really?! Haha.

I agree with others - try and take a Sephora class. It's a great way to have some "me" time and practice your makeup skills. Good luck!

Hi, I am a mom of 2 and don’t have a ton of time to apply and then reapply throughout the day, i also suffer from rosacea so dryness can be difficult and sensitivity is a definite! If you would like to wear foundation maybe start with a tinted moisturizer that matches your skin tone I like bare minerals complexion rescue. I also use a moisturizer at night before bed called Nurture me by Ole Henrickson. I love it. Once I got the dry skin corrected I now use Makeup forever ultra HD. And find that wearing a foundation with a light dusting of powder has made me look more “adult like.” I also opt in for different lipsticks and mascara. Just a thought! Try some new stuff if it doesn’t work return it (it took me forever to find the right foundation). Now when I do my make up I feel like a pro, practice makes perfect.

I know how you feel, at your age I looked underage too... didn't really look even close to my actual age until about five years ago. If having three young children isn't making you look worn and haggard enough to look older, then I'm not sure make-up will either. However, a mature hair cut and a bold lip colour might be a good way to start. 

Youtube is full of people with excellent makeup skills and I'm sure that you'll find someone whose style you would like to emulate. Just make sure that you pay just as much attention to skin care. 

RE: Re: No makeup skills..

The Tatcha under eye cream works super well and get some mascara! Long eye lashes are always flirty 🙂 And fill in your brows, look into the benefits line they have great starter kits... As well as some lipstick! Fresh for lips would be nice for sensitive skin and get a tinted one that best suits your skin colour 😘
Anonymous Insider

Haha, thank you! I really don't mind looking young (who w...

Haha, thank you! I really don't mind looking young (who would?), but I much rather look sexy and beautiful over a cute little 12 year old. I was already cute little 12 year old lol now I'm ready for the hot d*mn 22/23 year old. Thank you so much for the advice I will for sure being looking at some videos!!

@Anonymous I would suggest taking a makeup class because no amount of Youtube makeup tutorials or people typing you what to do will teach you tips and tricks for your face and your skincare concerns.  Sephora offers a bunch of different classes where you can get hands on experience or even go to Macy's or Nordstrom counter and ask for help.  Hands on is the best way to get better.

RE: Re: No makeup skills..

Yes! I 100% agree with SportyGirl125! Annnnd if you spend a certain amount at Sephora you can get a free makeover or glamover! Just plan a bit ahead of time, treat yourself to a baby sitter one Friday night and then you and your hubby could go out and you could show off your new make up while learning so tricks for a lil daytime routine! 💖
Anonymous Insider

Thank you very much! I appreciate it. 😊 I will look into...

Thank you very much! I appreciate it. 😊 I will look into it! ❤

Re: Thank you very much! I appreciate it. 😊 I will look into...

@Anonymous I actually do think you can learn a thing or two from Youtube videos. The videos Sephora puts out on their chanel are quite helpful.

As a mom of young children you may benefit from sneaking in a 10 min video here or there when you have time. There are so many self taught make up artists who taught themselves solely from YT. 

RE: Re: Thank you very much! I appreciate it. 😊 I will look into...

Yes! Or better yet if you can get someone you trust to watch your kids then you could go to Sephora and get some you time! Could socialize and perhaps step out of your comfort zone slightly if that is usually not your thing 🙂
Conversation Stats
  • 12 replies
  • 15 Hearts Given
  • 9 Contributors
testing