cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Parents Only
|

Need Suggestion!

Hello,

I am in my first trimester and I am worried about products that I am using everyday. I tried to search about ingredients but some ingredients are too much confusing. I am using following products.

1. Daily care: Using origins Mega-bright cleanser, serum, moisturizer, and suncream

2. Make up: Hangover Replenishing Face Primer, LAURA MERCIER - Candleglow Soft Luminous Foundation, SEPHORA COLLECTION - Bright Future Gel Serum Concealer, LAURA MERCIER - Translucent Loose Setting Powder

3. Hair: MOROCCANOIL - Shampoo and Conditioner, ALTERNA HAIRCARE - Bamboo Smooth Kendi Oil Dry Oil Mist

Please help me to find correct products during my pregnancy.

Thanks in advance!

Re: Need Suggestion!

I had the same concern when I was pregnant.  I had different docs for both my pregnancies, and they both said that something prescription like Accutane is an issue, but OTC cosmetic products generally were not, in their opinion.  I've heard that retinol and salicylic acid are no-nos.  My doc didn't specifically call those out, but I also wasn't using them.  I used some Fresh products, some Caudalie, including one with spf, and my usual bare minerals makeup in both pregnancies.  I also still colored my hair, albeit less frequently (and man, I had some horrendous roots!)

I highly recommend the fresh rose face mask, in fact.  It's cooling and good for reducing a bit of the puffiness you my get in later trimesters.  Congrats and good luck!

RE: Need Suggestion!

Hi there. I myself have had 5 babies and I worried each time about products I was using. I am a certified makeup artist/Esthetician and also a health coach/ licenses nutritionist and during my education I took a lot of specialty courses which taught you how to read labels not just on food but Cosmetics, creams, shampoos and basically anything you ingest or use topically. It really has helped my career in being able to suggest the proper lines of products for clients. Origins is almost all natural but I have yet to come across one item of theirs that has any additives that could be harmful to you right now. I do highly recommend you do stay away from any and all products that contain retinol and/or salicylic acid as these have been proven to cause different forms of birth defects. Although OTC use of it is a minimal amount, it’s better to be safe than sorry. I know some of us have a tendency to wear the “pregnancy mask” in the form of brow spots on our face during those months. I wouldn’t worry to much on using anything that claims to brighten or bleach the dark spots away. Those sometimes have harsh chemicals in them that would actually do more damage than good to you during pregnancy. So double check your mega bright and serum and see what their intent is. If your one of the fortunate ones who glows during pregnancy you might want to consider switching to their foam facial wash ore one that’s only intent is to cleanse. Laura mercier is a good product with minimal additives and it makes your skin so soft too. I actually have a client that uses her whole line and she’s 6 months pregnant and her skin never looked better plus she actually checked with her dermatologist and OB/GYN and they both approved the line. Moroccanoil has linseed extract in it which is essentially flaxseed. There’s so much debate in the medical field about whether it is necessary or even useful during pregnancy. Although it does contain vital omegas that help your baby to grow strong and healthy, most doctors shy away from flaxseed and recommend in its replacement minimal to medium doses of fish oil. Now you are not consuming it which makes a big difference but anything you put on your skin still absorbs into your body which can still potentially enter different systems within including your blood stream. But as mentioned above in regards to other products, it is a smaller amount you use at one time. Idk if you shampoo your hair every day or not but regardless it can enter your body through hair follicles. This is something you need to you your better judgement on. Myself personally through my pregnancies , especially after my pregnancy glow reminisced after the fourth month leaving me with cheetah spots all over and the hair you only find on a horses tail, I switched to pureology. It worked amazing for me. And once a month I did use the moroccanoil , the actual oil in my hair being careful not to put any on my scalp. So you decide what you think is best for your shampoo/conditioner routine. Another safe one is living proof. And it is a great line of products. Just steer clear of oils for now. Alterna is another great line, eliminating many toxins and chemical additives that you find so often in hair care products. And it’s gluten free too. It does contain the essential fatty acids, omegas 3, 6 and nine so as stated above, use with caution. I believe if you use it sparingly and only a few times a week you should not have any issues. But I am my a medical doctor so I cannot put my seal of approval on this or any products for that matter. This is simply info for you to be aware of and obtaining the knowledge of what you are using to implement a regime that you feel confident about. A FEW PRODUCTS TO CONSIDER DURING YOUR PREGNANCY AND POSSIBLE BREASTFEEDING YEAR TO GIVE YOU A BIT OF REASSURANCE: • Bare essentials - not one of my fave as a make up artist but it is a healthier choice during pregnancy • Neutrogena - although it is not a top shelf skin care line, it is in fact very conscious about its ingredients for the purpose of being useful to all skin types as well as all health/medical reasons you may be more attentive as to what you are putting on your body. Plus they have excellent sunscreen which is an absolute must during pregnancy. I highly recommend sunscreen with titanium or zinc oxide in it. These the majority of the time eliminate the damaging additives to leave room for these more successful as well as much more useful ingredients. Although the pregnancy mask is inevitable for some of us, we are also much more subjected to skin damage from the sun during pregnancy months. And anything our skin adopts due to sun damage will not slowly dissipate after labor and delivery as will our unwanted mask of honor we some must wear. It will take time, money for top of the line products, patience because it will not by any means happen overnight and sometimes a more harsh choice such as seeking optional laser, microdermabrasion and so on from a dermatologist. • Mio skincare has an entire line of facial cleansers and creams and such. I’m not too sure if they have makeup or hair care products but here is the website and you can check it out. It was mentioned to me by a long term client who used these products during her pregnancy with her son. And it took 4 rounds of in vitro for her to conceive so she was beyond paranoid about any and everything. mioskincare.com • Zoya for your nails is the best and safest bet. They are the best product out there for pregnant mamas. • Burt’s Bees has a complete line for pregnant mothers and after that are 100% safe for both you and baby. • there are so many amazing hair care products safe for mommy’s to be. This is the website that I always recommend to my mommy clients during pregnancy and while breastfeeding. You will find a plethora (I love using that word) of products to choose from and a link to them as to some are only able to be obtained online. http://smartmommyhealthybaby.com/smart-mommy/personal-care-products-for-moms/hair-care-products-for-... DEFINITE NO NOS!! • Anit-aging creams • Accutane for severe acne prone skin - this one should not even be taken a minimum of 6 months to a whole year prior to conceiving. I have personally witness a baby who her mother took accutane the first two months of pregnancy not even knowing of her condition and the poor child was born with deformities as well as blind and partially deaf. • Anyhing product containing Phthalates. Usually found in hair sprays and nail polishes. Has been linked to possible birth defects as well as affecting the males reproductive process which will make it more difficult to conceive ( not that you have that problem) and also damage sperm count and other body part “necessities” if you know what I’m talking about. • the majority of lipsticks contain large amounts of lead, very detrimental to the grown and health of your little peanut. Make sure to research ingredients in your lipstick, lipgloss, especially mattes, before using. With all this info I have sent your way, I highly recommend you make use of the website ewg.org It is a cosmetic database that compiles all the ins and outs, the do’s and dont’s, and the for sures and no no’s for every condition, chemical and/or product you are concerned about. In conclusion, my best recommendations for skin are: Bare minerals, liquid foundation unless you are ok with the powder type Mio skin care @ mioskincare.com Josie Maran, just double check with which product you are using in their line. The majority are safe but as mentioned their are additives you must stay away from. Bio-oil for all your expanding areas. It is super moisturizing and a little goes a long way. And it’s organic. Plus plus !! Neutrogena for mainly sunscreen containing titanium or zinc oxide. The majority of skin care products can be used but remember to watch for additives retinol and salicylic acid. There are so many more to choose from but I hope this thesis I just wrote (lol) will give you a head start in your journey of finding the right products that suit you. Good luck to you, your coming pregnancy months and the birth of your little peanut. If you need any further info you can message me back. I hope you can enjoy being pregnant as much as I did all five times. And a word of advise; if anyone tells you your being paranoid or over protective or just a plain crazy person, do not let that discourage you from seeking out whatever you need to to reassure yourself of a normal, uncomplicated pregnancy and a beautiful healthy baby. And those who persist, like my mother did with me each time ( let’s not forget that over 40 years ago it was acceptable to drink and smoke during pregnancy) you tell them to google babies born to mothers who subjected their little ones to harsh chemicals and additives during pregnancy. They will definitely stop bothering you. Don’t forget to eat healthy and idk if you exercise or not but if you do not, walking a nice brisk walk or whatever pace is best for you as long as it remains a consistent stride will help you tremendously during your pregnancy, labor and most definitely your recovery. Good luck and take care of your little precious peanut. Jess Q
2 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 Hearts Given
  • 3 Contributors
testing