Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Parents Only
|
Anonymous Insider

Mom of teens and trying to get into makeup.

I'm 31 and have four children. One who is already a teen and three fast approaching. I never got into makeup, it was time consuming and could never find the right color for me. When ever I would think about trying to learn, I would literally start hyperventilating at thought of all the choices out there. Now that my kids are older and I've got more time on my hands, I've started dabbling here and there. My question to all the non newbies is this....What are some great beginner style tricks and tips for someone who doesn't have that beautiful complexion she did at 21? My oldest daughter is starting to pickup makeup as well and she's looking to me like I know what I'm doing lol. HELP!

Re: Mom of teens and trying to get into makeup.

YouTube is the BeSt for tutorials. I learned most stuff from watching gurus. Classes helped, as did having a mua friend. But honestly, those are one time/one look and youve got to schedule around them. With videos, you pick up a multitude of tips super fast & click to the next one. 

I don't have a teenager but I'm totally clueless about makeup so I signed up for the Sephora classes. They were great! Would be great to do with your daughter. I was thinking of doing them with my own mom!

I was in the same boat when my teen started to try makeup.  So, I made it a bonding experience. We found Youtube channels where the creators looked like us and had similar issues. Tried all kinds of looks no matter how silly to learn technique.  But my biggest point was to learn how to care for your skin. Because good skin beats everything. 

Completely agree with the YouTube trick!  Even for those who are ""experienced" with makeup, my daughters and I found that we bonded more looking through, watching together and even stepping outside of our comfort zone to try new things that we would have never dreamed of with what you can find on there.  

feel free to subscribe to my channel. I am also a mom, of...

feel free to subscribe to my channel. I am also a mom, of 3 little boys, and I'm turning 31 this year but have been into makeup my whole life lol I'm just starting out on YouTube and I don't do many tutorials but I do alot of beauty recommendations and beauty reviews. I also take request for anything. 🙂
Anonymous Insider

Re: feel free to subscribe to my channel. I am also a mom, of...

What is ure channel name ?

Re: feel free to subscribe to my channel. I am also a mom, of...

OMG! I feel so stupid that I didn't include my channel name hahaha It was late at night after I got my kids in bed, that is my excuse! lol My Channel name is: Elyse 3-2  Sorry about that guys!  Hope to see you guys over there 🙂

Anonymous Insider

Yes the classes help! So does just going into your local Sephora and asking questions! Ask anything and everything, never be scared and there are literally no dumb questions when it comes to makeup! To me everything depends on your skin type! Once you figure that out skies the limit on makeup choices! 

Now helllp! Lol I'm a mom of two (8yr old girl & 5yr old boy). It will be years before my daughter ask to wear makeup but this last year I legally adopted my 15 year old sister, she's started highschool this year and is a freshmen, she hasn't asked me YET (keyword) lol if she can wear makeup but when she does what is acceptable at her age?? When I'm at her school which is regularly because she's involved in volleyball and I'm in the booster club there, I see all these little girls looking 21-23 like there going to a club all glammed up. First to each their own but I refuse to have my sister walking around not looking her age. So here's where I need the help... Mascara and lipgloss ok? Or am I'm being old school? Lol I'm 29 and again not her mom, I'm her sister but I don't want to be to un-cool... Any suggestions? 

@Anonymous My niece who is about a year younger is SUPER into makeup. The rule for her is that she can do any looks she wants at home or sleepovers. When it comes to school: mascara, lipgloss and a bit of powder all done very naturally. If you can see it, it's a no go. (Obviously her lashes are a bit darker (but no thick spider lashes) and her lips are shinier but no color products. And the powder isn't caked on) With that said, my niece can do amazing full glam makeup and she has a ton of fun with it and shares looks with friends on social. Just can't run around with it on. Ultimately, she's going to sneak in the products she wants to use (didn't we all?) and talking to her about her style and how to incorporate it without it looking over the top will help along with the boundaries you set.

RE: Mom of teens and trying to get into makeup.

So I've been super into make up my whole life. My mother was a model and a showgirl in Vegas, so when I was growing up, she taught me a lot about makeup. The funny thing is that she taught me a lot about super glamorous makeup. So I would go to middle school looking like I was ready for Studio 54. LOL! It took me longer to master the natural look. YouTube is a godsend; anyone coming into her own in 2017 is so lucky to have so many Beauty gurus to learn from. Search for tutorials for beginners. There are a lot out there for every skill level, and they will make it seem fun and easy. Which it is! Good luck and I hope you learn to LOVE making yourself up like so many of us do.

I was the same way. I never got into make-up until I was about 33. (37 now) The best thing to do is start researching what products will work best with your skin type (I go for things geared toward normal but aging skin and bit of color correction). Find beauty gurus you like on youtube to show you how to apply, practice, and invest in decent products. I'm not saying drop $200 on MAC immediately... you can get away with good drugstore products for a lot of things. But you have to splurge on a great foundation and quality eyeshadow. Cheap stuff just doesn't work as well and will discourage you. Also, you need a durable but soft set of brushes and a real blender sponge. After that you can slowly build up your make-up collection as you discover what colors you like most and the looks you can pull off. Just have fun! The great thing about Make-up is that even if you mess up and look silly it only takes a second to wash off and try again. 🙂

It's worth it to make a personal appointment in Sephora with their makeup artist. Explain you're new and looking for help with a basic everyday routine. They can easily teach you some simple quick tips. But honestly if your teen is anything like my stepdaughter I recommend you and her watch YouTube tutorials together. Maybe find one you both enjoy and try to replicate the look. If it doesn't go perfectly it's still great bonding. There's lots of good videos out there on basic topics like how to contour or do smokey eye.
Anonymous Insider

Thank you so much! I just enrolled in two of their classes. 

@Anonymous  How fun!   My daughter and I have the best time bonding over makeup and shopping!  💗💗💗

I agree with the tips you got from  @Anonymous below.  Sephora classes/workshops are free and a lot of fun!  You can also have your Color IQ taken for free at a Sephora store to find the right foundation shades for you.

I also recommend checking out youtube tutorials - your daughter may already be subscribed to some fun beauty channels (I know my daughter is!).   

It just takes practice and trial and error as mentioned already.

Anonymous Insider

Aww that's practically my story too! I only started getting into makeup back in October and it's been a pleasant experience and something my daughter and I have bonded over. I would strongly suggest going to a Sephora makeup class it's free and the coaches who lead them LOVE offering tips and tricks. You can also search eventbrite for free classes in your area or even go the YouTube route. Trial and error also works too. Sephora has a GREAT return policy.
Conversation Stats
  • 15 replies
  • 29 Hearts Given
  • 14 Contributors
testing