cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Parents Only
|
Anonymous Insider

Makeup Beginner, pls help

So I’m trying to do the whole make up thing since my self esteem is completely utterly down the drain. I have trouble finding the right products and right foundations. YouTube artist make things look so easy and at this point, a part of me wants to give up but another part of me is saying I can’t. So please help me. I was looking more into like starter kits, I do not know what I’m doing at all. Nothing too pricey either, I just want to feel beauty already.

natural is more a me btw

Anonymous Insider

Re: Makeup Beginner, pls help

So sorry you are feeling this way. I would recommend you start with a primer. For drugstore I would say the Maybelline baby skin instant pore eraser, and for high end I would recommend the Smashbox photo finish. Also, you can use a setting spray or primer spray before AND after your makeup. You dont need to buy both. Then, I would mix a foundation with some moisturizer because whoever you are, you are beautiful, you don't need much coverage. For drugstore, Loreal Lumi foundation and for high end, The Too Faced born this way. Then you should conceal because as you get older your pimples go away but the dark circles dont. For drustore Maybelline fit me and for high end the too faced born this way Multi use sculpting concealer. You should set the foundation after that, with either the Rimmel stay matte Powder or the Tarte Shape tape loose powder. Then I would use a blush and I havent found the perfect drugstore one, but the Tarte amazonian Clay blush is relatively cheap for high end. And then some ladies like to do their eyebrows and if that is you, you can use the Anastisia brow whiz or the Maybelline pencil. You dont necesarily need to set it with a brow gel but if you want you can. For eyeshadow you dont really need to spend a whole bunch of money on a huge eyeshadow palette so I would recommend getting some nude single colors. Maybelline has some fantastic single eyeshadows and they come with little applicators so you dont need to spend a whole bunch of money on brushes. I dont really have any good high end single eyeshadows. You should get an eyeshadow they same color as your eyelid, a shimmery champagne color for all over the lid, and a dark brown or if you feel nice, a purple shade for the eyelid. And then a liquid eyeliner, I recommend the Kat Von D tatoo liner in a black color but you dont have to use eyeliner unless you necesarily need it. For mascara you should use the Almay One coat thickening mascara and then the Tarte Tarteist mascara for length. Then choose a Mac lipstick, I like the velvet teddy shade. Then use the Becca Champagne Pop highlight. After that you should use the same spray you used to prime your face in the beginning, whether or not it is a primer spray or a setting spray. I hope this helps, but remember you are absolutely gorgeous without makeup too, even though I dont know you! Everyone is beautiful!!!!!!!

@Anonymous

Hi dear,

First I wanted to say that, I'm sorry you are feeling the way that you are.  I wish there was more I could do for you than just give you some makeup tips.  I know how important looking (and feeling) beautiful can be to our self-worth as women, but I hope that you can find various ways to improve your self-esteem.  And, obviously I don't know your exact situation, but if your self-esteem is uncharacteristically low, you could be struggling with something more than not knowing how to do your makeup.  Please reach out to someone for help.  You can send me a private message as a starting point.

Now on to the fun stuff, makeup!  First, be careful what you tubers you are watching.  Some are really helpful, others set up such ridiculous standards of what is "normal" makeup.  I think Wayne Goss gives some solid tips, for example, and Gothamista is a great skin care guru. 

A Sephora or Mac employee would love to help you.  I would schedule an appointment ahead of time, I believe as long as you are spending 50 (75?) on products a full makeup and skincare consult is free.  

As far as costs, I would choose to spend money on a few things, and for a lot of it, I would look elsewhere than Sephora.  As a quick rundown .. mascara, there are always good drugstore options.  Foundation -- spend on.  Powder, if you need/want it, you can choose to spend or save, it's a preference.  You can get a "face palette", like Nars Wanted, and for sixty dollars you've got a whole blush wardrobe plus a contour shade and highlighter.  Then as you learn to play with makeup more and start getting into different looks, maybe you want to buy a bolder highlight, or maybe you decide you're more interested in a contour kit.  Really, a face palette, mascara, lipstick, foundation, you're set.  The rest you can get as you want to play with it.  And just tell the Sephora employee that you're a beginner, so they don't start putting a smoky eye on you, but instead match you with an easy-to-apply bb cream, show you where to apply blush to enhance your beautiful skin, and help you pick a lipstick shade you like.

If you would like more specific products, tell me about your skin type and such and I can be of more help.

I'm sure you're very beautiful sweetie.  I hope you are feeling the way soon. xx

@Anonymous Maybe try a brand that promotes a natural and light aesthetic. Have you taken a look at Glossier? That could be a good place to start. A lot of their products are light and on the sheer side (therefore harder to mess up when you apply!).

I really like their skin tint foundation, concealer and boy brow tinted eyebrow gel. I’ve heard good things about their cloud paint blush. I tried the lipstick and didn’t like it at all but I believe it’s recently been reformulated so maybe it has improved. I believe you can only buy Glossier from their (very) few physical locations and their online store.

Anyway, chin up! Learning to do makeup isn’t something that just comes naturally to most people. That’s why I won’t show anyone my high school yearbook. Let yourself have fun - it all washes off. 

@Anonymous I had the same issue before.  So what I did was go up to a MAC Nordstrom counter and met a MAC artist that was willing to teach me how to apply makeup.  From there I started getting better.  Hands on is always best.

RE: Makeup Beginner, pls help

Hey @Anonymous are you close to a Sephora location!?
Anonymous Insider

Re: RE: Makeup Beginner, pls help

Yes I am

Makeup Beginner, pls help

I would suggest looking at various sample/subscription boxes to try products. The Sephora Play! Smarts boxes have corresponding YouTube "crash courses" on how to use the products, but all but the Glitter Eyes one are skincare. If you are looking to grow your makeup collection and try a wide variety of products, I feel Ipsy is the best for this.

Are you near a Sephora? I recommend taking a class if you can. After I had my babies it was a great way to get some "me" time and help boost my confidence.

I prefer a more natural look and have been enjoying Bare Minerals original foundation. Depending on your coverage level, it could take more time to buff it in but since I use it as a light layer it goes on quite quickly.

If you reply with a little more detail about what you are looking for and I'm sure you'll get plenty of help. Have a great day!

Are you looking for simple makeup applications (eyeliner, mascara, and lip colour) to start?

You can purchase small value kits like this:
https://www.sephora.com/ca/en/product/summer-in-clinique-treats-to-go-punch-P433650?icid2=products%2...

Or moderate applications (primer, foundation, concealer, and blush, along with eyeliner, mascara, and lip colour)? 

I'd suggest seeing a cosmetician in store (maybe see a few if you're not comfortable with recommendations from the first one you talk to!) to help identify products appropriate for your skin type, as well as achieving matching skin tones. It may cost a bit initially but once you have these items you'll be set for a long time!

Or full applications (incorporating highlighter, bronzer, brows, and eyehadow with the aforementioned products)?

I know it sounds like an overwhelming amount of products to accumulate but you can acquire them over time! You can also opt to purchase these products in travel size (if possible) to reduce cost if you're unsure about buying a full size of any of them. Don't forget to include a good cleanser, toner, and moisturizer if you're goin for the whole shebang!

RE: Makeup Beginner, pls help

@Anonymous Hi. I hope you start feeling better soon as your beauty never went away! If you can, I would try to get yourself into a Sephora store and ask one of the consultants there. Not only will you see exactly what they are putting on you and how, but you are dedicating time to yourself, which is so important after having a child. Maybe, a Sephora in a JC Penny would be better as I have found that there are less people and the consultants can really focus on one client at a time. It’s just an idea. And, if there is no way you can get out of the house, I would just start with something simple. Bite makes awesome lipstick from nudes to deep colors. Burt’s Bees also makes worthwhile lipsticks. If you want to put some glow back into your skin, I would try Becca’s highlighters. I love their creamy ones. I know L’oreal also makes good ones too. Good luck

To get fresh ideas and to see how products work best, I love to watch the Sephora Pro YouTube videos. They’re informative, up to date, professional, and fun! 

The Sephora Favorites sets are a great place to start because you can try a variety of products @casss08. I also like placing orders online because I can add Promo’s to try new products. Also just reading through the BIC to see what others like and what didn’t work for them has really helped me. 

I hope that through skincare and makeup you can discover your own beauty from within, just putting time and care into yourself can really help to change the way you see yourself, in my experience. Best of luck ❤️☺️

SEPHORA FAVORITES - Best Hair Ever

SEPHORA FAVORITES - Lashstash To Go

SEPHORA FAVORITES - Give Me Some Nude Lip

SEPHORA FAVORITES - Superstars Kit

Conversation Stats
  • 11 replies
  • 12 Hearts Given
  • 11 Contributors
testing