Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Parents Only

HELP! I'm scared of pregnancy acne!!

Okay guys, I need help. I grew up with terrible cystic acne and it got so bad that I ended up going on Accutane twice...yikes. Each time I stopped the medication, my acne would return about 10-12 months later. It's so demoralizing and so embarrassing and I never want to experience it again. LUCKILY, I finally discovered that my skin responds super well to a retinoid. The only drawback is that I can't use this when I get pregnant or am breastfeeding. My skin doesn't respond as well to AHA/BHAs for the cystic acne, but I'm wondering what products you guys have used that have helped with hormonal cystic acne during pregnancy? I've read that Korres Yoghurt Cleanser helped someone, but I wanted to pose the question to get actual responses, not just scour reviews.

RE: HELP! I'm scared of pregnancy acne!!

Are you pregnant now? Like someone else said it’s very common for people with acne to have it disappear or diminish during pregnancy. Mine completely clears up which is how I knew I was pregnant this time 4 days before my missed period. Usually acne and oily skin is associated with testosterone (which increases before mensuration) which there is less of during pregnancy. I hope you are one of the lucky ones with clear pregnancy skin but if not there are lots of safe options just ask your doctor.

Re: HELP! I'm scared of pregnancy acne!!

@Nighthawk7, I have really bad cystic acne but most people don't know because my Tazorac works so well.  I went off retinoids the three and a half years straight that I was pregnant and nursing my 2 kids. I was so exhausted during that time that I didn't really worry about my skin.  One day after my youngest was 1 yr old and I'd quit nursing, I looked at my skin and started to cry (remember, little sleep makes you emotional ).  Then I went back on Tazorac,  and after about 6 months my skin was beautiful again.  You may get the acne, but it's temporary.   Try to live through that first year and in your head, just keep repeating, "oh well."  

Re: HELP! I'm scared of pregnancy acne!!

Hey there @Nighthawk7!  Don’t panic just yet. I would talk to your dermatologist and your OB/Gyn in anticipation of this eventuality and find out what your options are. But you may not need anything. People react to pregnancy hormones in lots of different ways. My hair and skin looked fabulous when I was pregnant. I seriously never had a bad hair day — I could’ve lived with that part of pregnancy a little longer! You may have a similar experience, too. 

HELP! I'm scared of pregnancy acne!!

Witchhazle is greating to clean your face.

RE: HELP! I'm scared of pregnancy acne!!

I use Kate Somerville and I’ll never use anything else again! It works so well for me. Maybe it will work for you. I had cystic acne and this helped so much and now I do no have any cystic acne at all.

which products do you use specifically?

which products do you use specifically?
Conversation Stats
  • 6 replies
  • 6 Hearts Given
  • 6 Contributors
testing