Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Parents Only

Easy Curly Hair Routine

After having my daughter my hair has gone from mostly straight to mostly wavy and I am struggling with how to maintain it. I have watched some videos on YouTube but a lot of them show several products and steps. They also seem like they take a lot of time to do...which having a 14 month old I do not have lol. My goals are to have more defined waves/curls, less frizz and an easy routine. Any advice for a newly wavy/curly hair girl? Thanks in advance 🙂

Re: Easy Curly Hair Routine

The key to curly hair is to keep it moisturized, so don't be too concerned that you are buying something that says "CURLS" on the front. Like, right now I'm using Love Beauty and Planet shampoo and conditioner bc it is rich, smells good, and doesn't mess up my hair color. 

Everyone's hair has a different level of thickness, and dryness, so this is where you run into variations about what products to put on when you are getting out of the shower.  My hair is medium-dry but very thick, so it doesn't get weighed down. I melt some coconut oil between my palms, comb it through my hair, scrunch, and let it air dry.  As it's almost dry, I'll put in some waxy pomade from shea butter if it's still too frizzy, or a moisturizing hair spray (also like shea butter's) if it's not quite defined enough. most days it dries just fine. sometimes a hair oil will work great, other people love creams, jellies..

three rules.

one--keep your hair moisturized. your shampoo should be opaque, not clear, and you shouldn't be washing every day.

two--when your hair is still wet, comb it through with your product of choice, and scrunch it with a MICROFIBER TOWEL (I didn't learn this until a year ago and it's made a world of difference)

three--air dry if you can. it's not only healthiest, it will give you the best look.

best part? it takes like a minute.

let's see your curl pics! 🙂 

Thank you! That was very good information! My hair is rat...

Thank you! That was very good information! My hair is rather thick and heavy (funny enough I always had problems getting my hair to hold curls as its so heavy they would fall). I think my hair might be a little dry however my roots can get oily easy. My current hair routine is with cheaper products. I figured I would start out with cheaper products and see what my hair would do and go from there. I use the Garnier Fructis Curl Nourish Shampoo, Conditioner and Leave-In and the Herbal Essence curl boost mousse. I shampoo and use conditoner as normal. I rake my fingers through my hair to detangle. I squeeze some of the water from my hair then scrunch in the leave in and mousse. I do use a microfiber towel and air dry. I find that my waves and curls are a lot tighter and defined than before. Tighter is the back, a little looser at the sides and the very front of my hair doesn't want to do anything so I normally pin it back (I need to cut the front so it works better since it doesn't want to curl). I can get about 2-3 days out of my hair before needing to wash it. I would preffer less frizz than I have currently. I am overall happy now that I kind of have a routine of sorts. I am not opposed to trying other products to see if they work better 🙂.

Re: Thank you! That was very good information! My hair is rat...

You've definitely added some wave with your haircut! I don't have much experience with protein but I've read that the strands that don't "curl" from the root need it. Maybe your front pieces are lacking protein and that could help get more wave for those strands.

If your routine is working for you, I wouldn't change it. You want to apply products to soaking wet hair according to the curly girl method then scrunch and get out some of the water. You'll have to update us on how cutting the front goes.

For years I used and wrapped my head in t-shirts if you dont have microfiber towels. But everything @kelllllyyyyy said is so right.

I am on the opposite side. Had really curly hair all my life and now with age and children am left with only waves and trying to figure out what curly products are right for me now.

Real life+curly girl on YouTube is a great resource for wavy hair product recommendations.

Thanks, I'll have to check them out!

Thanks, I'll have to check them out!

@Spanisheyes1010 My holy grails for healthy wavy hair is the alterna caviar cream https://www.sephora.com/ca/en/product/caviar-cc-cream-for-hair-10-in-1-complete-correction-P378716

it keeps my hair soft and healthy. When I want more defined beach waves I like their resort breeze air dry styling balm! https://www.sephora.com/ca/en/product/caviar-resort-breeze-air-dry-styling-balm-P428081?icid2=produc...

Thanks!

Thanks!

RE: Easy Curly Hair Routine

I have wavy hair as well. It's not straight but not curly by any means. After I wash it I put leave in conditioner and when it's mostly dry I put it in a soft scrunchie (I shower at night). When I wake up in the morning they're not as frizzy and I either just spritz some wave spray in or curl a couple pieces that I want defined and then spray the wave spray. The following night I just put it back in the scrunchie and it will hold the days waves again. My favorite drugstore stuff is the Aussie it's a 10 (I use a pea size as a leave in for my hair length) and can't find a good wave spray but I like the herbal essences Tossle me softly mousse then regular hairspray to hold it. For higher end, I love the bumble bb primer as my leave in and the ouai wave spray. It works magic unlike anything I've ever tried!

Thank you for your reply! I will have to check out those...

Thank you for your reply! I will have to check out those products. I started out with the Garnier Fructis Curl Nourish line (I think it is new). It has made a difference but its still frizzy.

Aussie 3 minute miracle* I was thinking of the it's a 10 keratin stuff, which I like as well!

How about Devacurl? It’s a pretty easy system and they have a line devoted to wavy hair.

I have heard a lot of good things about Devacurl. Current...

I have heard a lot of good things about Devacurl. Currently hoping to see what cheaper hair care options will do for my hair before trying it as it seems kinda pricey. If I am unhappy with cheap-mid priced options I will certainly look further into it. Thanks 🙂

Easy Curly Hair Routine

Not a product you can get at Sephora, but some Targets carry a line called Miss Jessie's. I like their Pillow Soft Curls. Just put in after washing, scrunch a little and go.

Thank you for the response! I will have to look for it 🙂

Thank you for the response! I will have to look for it 🙂
Conversation Stats
  • 14 replies
  • 10 Hearts Given
  • 7 Contributors
testing