Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Parents Only
|

At what age would you let your daughter wear makeup?

My daughter is in 6th grade and some of the girls are already wearing makeup! When she is interested I want to bring her in for a lesson but not this young!

Re: At what age would you let your daughter wear makeup?

Hi, I’m not a mom or an adult. I’m getting ready for high school. I’ve been dancing since I was two so naturally, stage makeup was required. I used to hate it but about a year ago I got very interested in it. Now I have a YouTube channel and a huge collection. I wear it out but not to look innapropriate or mature just to show my talents and do what I love. I would suggest 6th grade for mascara, foundation, concealer, face products:etc , and 7th and 8th grade for eyeshadow, eyeliner, eyebrows, and false lashes. Have Fun!!! 😘

RE: At what age would you let your daughter wear makeup?

My rule growing up was 16, which was way too old. By the time I was old enough to wear makeup I had lost interest until 28 when I was preparing for my wedding. I think around 7 or 8 is ok for around the house (because every girl loves pretending and playing in makeup and playing dress up) but for anything involving leaving the front door I am torn between 14 and 15.

I have a 2 year old now and This question popped in my mind when I was pregnant. When you are pregnant with your first I feel like you imagine things how they should be but in reality it’s way different. Then when you actually have your child things change and reality sets in.That’s exactly what happened to me,they get into everything and want to do everything you are doing including makeup. Now that I am more realistic about this question my opinion changed. I am not going to put an age on when she can or cannot wear makeup. I’m going to wait until she comes to me and asks if she can wear makeup. Then Depending the age (hopefully in middle school) I will start her on the basics. The most important rule is a clean and moisturized skin. Mascara and lipstick will be her first makeup basics then as she gets older we will expand on her products.

I feel that it's more important to teach your daughter how to care for her skin first. Such as proper cleansing, the importance of sunscreen & why she shouldn't borrow/share eye makeup with her friends. If she's determined to wear makeup she'll find a way to do it. A consult sounds like a good idea. It could be a great mother/daughter experience. Personally, I got the best makeup advice of my life from a saleswoman when I was 11yrs old. She told me that makeup is supposed to enhance your natural beauty, not cover it up. I've obviously never forgotten it.

I'm not a mom but as someone in my mid-20s I didn't start wearing make-up until a couple years ago. Even now I go most days without it because I don't feel that it's a need for me to look beautiful. I wear it for myself, especially when I need a pick-me-up. Not trying to be preachy, but wanted to put in my two cents. My mom rarely wears makeup so I grew up without it. Looking back, I wonder if this was also a huge contributor to why I've never had any issues with my skin. At school my first encounter with makeup was in 3rd grade by those (*shock*) super cheap make-up toy kits that someone brought to school one day. We basically passed it around and did each other's makeup. From around then my classmates gradually found their own path with makeup. By 7th grade there will be girls with a full face of makeup from foundation to eye shadow. One of the girls had a mom who didn't let her wear makeup, so she bought her own set and found a way to wear it at school anyway. What I'm trying to say is, if your daughter is interested in it, she will find a way. Better to come from an informed source (with better technique) like yourself than from a friend who also don't know what she is doing. If makeup will help her feel more confident, that's great, but I remember that at that age she should be ready for a discussion on skincare, confidence, and makeup.

This is a very interesting question. It’s intriguing to see everyone’s responses. I wasn’t allowed to wear makeup growing up because my mom grew up without it so she figured I didn’t need it, too. I was allowed to wear mascara later in high school but that was it and only because my eyelashes would curve down into my eyes and stab me.

I’ve been raising my bf’s youngest sister since she was 12 and I didn’t let her get into makeup until she was around 16 (she’s 18 going on 19 this year). All her friends started really young but I didn’t encourage her to do so until she was older. Now I buy her whatever she wants but try to explain to her the importance of prioritizing makeup essentials rather than just blowing money on anything little new thing that comes out.

. i remember wearing makeup in grades 7 and 8.. i think a...

. i remember wearing makeup in grades 7 and 8.. i think a good skincare regime is important to prevent acne and if you're not ready for that you aren't ready for makeup ...and a natural look is best at a younger age..so some education from mom is great. i do think by high school makeup should be accepted as a normal part of being a teen...and to restrict it creates shame and insecurity about being a woman. i think we should teach our daughters to embrace their own brand of beauty and to love and respect themselves along with any external beauty lessons

I wasn't allowed to wear make-up besides lipgloss, and then eye liner in the 7Th. But it's much different than when I was in 6Th grade. However, as a mom to two girls, tinted lipgloss in 6Th grade and then

cilantro wrote:

My daughter is in 6th grade and some of the girls are already wearing makeup! When she is interested I want to bring her in for a lesson but not this young!

shadow on special occasions is my limit. 

Anonymous Insider

From my perspective as a teenager it’s kind of hard being the odd one out. When I was 12 all my friends would wear makeup and I wasn’t allowed which made me feel left out and I was picked on. My mom always said I was allowed to wear makeup in the 10th grade so I wouldn’t listen to her and I used to wear tons of makeup. Afterward she taught me how to use it properly saying a little goes a long way. Now I’m in 17 and I prefer putting a little makeup which consists of wearing B.B. cream,blush,lighlighr,a bit of bronzer and eyeliner,a sheer lipgloss and a nude eyeshadow.

Because of my sensitive skin and the lack of stringent regulation on makeup ingredients, my biggest concern with my child wearing makeup at a young age actually has to do with whats in it.  I think scouting brands/lines that use more natural formulas would make me more comfortable with a younger child using it.  After all, we eat most of our lip products, eyes are sensitive areas and good skincare gives us a great palette to practice our art!

I've always let my kids play with makeup...they could even wear lipgloss out in public..but it definitely depends on what you're comfortable with. Maybe try some gloss? Maybe they have a pimple they want covered up? A little at a time might be an easy way to adjust. But outright denial may lead them to just wear it behind your back. Pick your battles! Good luck with whatever you decide!

I would let her begin to wear it at home and then gradually allow it to school. Outright denial leads to all sorts of silly behavior and by guiding her you retain some control. (If she Really wants eyeliner but Mom won't let her, she will use her BFF's at school (who has pinkeye), or possibly even "borrow" some from you or the store and just put it on after she gets there...)

It could be a really fun mommy/baby bonding thing while she's still young enough to want to hang out with you (before that teenage rebel thing kicks in).

Plus, it takes years to get really good at makeup. If she starts now, by the time she's on her own, she will be a pro, all thanks to good ol' Mom.

i started wearing makeup in 8th grade, but lipsticks in 6th

My daughter is in 6th and she can wear mascara only when...

My daughter is in 6th and she can wear mascara only when she ask and it hasn't been that often, she has only worn it once amd has had it for 2 months

@cilantro I let my daughter start wearing light makeup to school in 6th grade (I let her play with it at home and wear it for special events prior to that).

This allowed me to really drive home skin care, cleansing and natural makeup application.  We had a lot of fun taking some classes at Sephora and we love shopping for makeup together. This also lets me have some control over the type and quality of makeup she wears (no red lipstick yet).

I completely agree with the ladies below who mentioned that if you allow her to wear an agreed upon amount/type of makeup, it becomes less taboo.  My daughter is a few years older now, but about half her friends still aren't allowed to wear makeup to school, so a few of them steal it from their moms or get it from their friends ( or share it without taking sanitary precautions) and apply super thick black eyeliner on half their eyelids (I'm not talking about cute winged liner, I mean they color in like half their lids with eyeliner) and heavy red lipstick in the bathroom at school or on the bus and then try to wipe it off before they go home.  I know this because my kid tells me and because I've seen these girls at her school - It looks really bad and this is already such a hard time for kiddos from a self esteem standpoint. 😢

Ultimately, it is your decision as the parent, though.   Interestingly, since I allow my daughter to wear makeup and help her take care of her skin, there are many days she chooses not to wear makeup at all!  But, when she does wear it, it always looks really nice.

Good luck!❤️❤️❤️

I started letting my daughter wear a little make up last...

I started letting my daughter wear a little make up last year in 6th grade. Mascara, then blush and now highlight too. She really loves it and I don't see anything wrong.

I don't think there is a hard fast rule about when a girl can or should start to wear make up. I think what is more important is why she wants to wear it. If she wants to do it because it is fun and playful and an artistic expression then I don't see anything wrong with it in fact it can be just tons of fun! But if she wants to wear it because she feels she is ugly or not enough compared to her peers then that is a worry, you know? Maybe you could try starting with her, you know, make it something really fun between a mother and daughter. That way you can show her the right way and the Fun way to wear it and also let her know at this age that there are places she can wear it & places she shouldn't wear it yet like school. Raising kids is tough boy do I know – good luck! I raised seven of my own and I know that sometimes when you make something too taboo it makes them want it more. I really enjoyed experimenting with make up with my daughters!

I started using make up in the 6th grade. It was typically natural colors at the time. I think middle school sounds about right to start teaching a kid about make up and letting them test it out.

My daughter is 5 and she wears makeup. I know this is highly unconventional, but she doesn't wear it to school, only at home or when we run errands. I LOVE makeup and she loves to try and do everything I do, so I encourage her. It is my daily art therapy and she knows that. She has a great eye for color and it's something we can share. I don't let her wear mascara, but she plays around with lipstick and eyeshadow. I will likely let her start doing full face makeup within reason out of the house starting in junior high school if she is still interested! 

I also started wearing makeup in 7th grade. Nothing drastic, just lip gloss, blush and concealer. I don't see anything wrong with starting with subtle, natural looking feature enhancers. The important thing is to show her how to apply it properly. I'm sure the folks at Sephora would be able to teach her how to do a natural face to enhance her best assets.
25 Replies
Conversation Stats
testing