Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Men Who Makeup
|
Anonymous Insider

Why do you makeup?

Here's my story:

My interst started with my interest in women's clothing. When I was 10 I tried on my moms pantyhose for the 1st time and I was hooked. My interst grew through my teens as I had a Sister who was about the same size as me even shoes. My mom and sister never knew still don't. As I got older the obsession to perfect my feminine style, look and deportment grew to include makeup. I struggled for years with drug store makeup and looked awful. 2 things changed my relationship with makeup a makeover with a real makeup artist and finding a Sephora locally. Those experiences helped me learn what most girls learn when they are teenagers and start to put together a look that I am proud of and hope to continue to learn and improve. Ty Sephora.

RE: Why do you makeup?

I got into makeup because of the artistry. I was an art major in college but I got bored of the same thing and was little tired of seeing the same people over and over again so I decided to make my face my canvass and went from there. I can creat new looks and change the shape of my face. My art comes to life & I always thought that was kinda cool. I started doing makeup as of no November 2016 and that same month I got a job in Sephora so now I get to see new people everyday and they get to see my art change everyday.

RE: Why do you makeup?

I have a lopsided/ crooked nose. I love the way I can play with shading and highlighting to achieve a straighter illusion. Building a functional collection of tools and products is like a hobby for me. I real enjoy the process of applying makeup and making myself look more refined.

I've always been fairly feminine, and have been intereste...

I've always been fairly feminine, and have been interested in makeup since I was a kid. However, I didn't have any sisters and I never felt comfortable asking my mother or any female friends to show me how. Since I've been in college and met more queer people who accept themselves, I've started to accept myself more and more, but I still was afraid to try makeup. I was afraid of the looks I would get, of feeling foolish. My mother died a year ago, and it put a lot of things in context for me, changed how I look at life. Seeing how short and cruel life is, I realized that there was no good reason not to be yourself for as long as you can. Soon after she died I got up the courage to ask a female friend to take me makeup shopping. We went to Sephora, and I was instantly in love. Several of the employees were men, and they were all so welcoming. I still struggle with being myself, but I always know I'll be accepted at Sephora. Anyways, that's how I got into makeup.

Re: I've always been fairly feminine, and have been intereste...

Sorry to hear of your mother's passing. I am glad to hear something positive came from that terrible experience. May I ask you a question? I'm on the fence about doing a Sephora Makeover. I know you said the staff was nice and accepting of you. But how long ago were your trips there? So much can happen in a short period of time.

bowtiekitty wrote:
I've always been fairly feminine, and have been interested in makeup since I was a kid. However, I didn't have any sisters and I never felt comfortable asking my mother or any female friends to show me how. Since I've been in college and met more queer people who accept themselves, I've started to accept myself more and more, but I still was afraid to try makeup. I was afraid of the looks I would get, of feeling foolish. My mother died a year ago, and it put a lot of things in context for me, changed how I look at life. Seeing how short and cruel life is, I realized that there was no good reason not to be yourself for as long as you can. Soon after she died I got up the courage to ask a female friend to take me makeup shopping. We went to Sephora, and I was instantly in love. Several of the employees were men, and they were all so welcoming. I still struggle with being myself, but I always know I'll be accepted at Sephora. Anyways, that's how I got into makeup.

Anonymous Insider

Re: I've always been fairly feminine, and have been intereste...

In most stores Sephora sales associates are great with girls like us. I've had one or two associates that were a little cold, but most treat you just like any girl and are helpful. I would suggest if you want a full makeover call the store and schedule a makeover.

Re: Why do you makeup?

I got into make up in college because of how different I could look when doing costuming/cosplay. Then I just started to play with eyeliner and eye shadow since I enjoyed the colors and to me it was like the fun of dying hair or something but less permanent. I enjoy doing different things  everyday and learning what I like and don't like. My friends have been cool and helped me get stuff. Since graduating and getting a steady income, I've only liked makeup more because I can afford higher quality stuff and being away from judgmental family. 

For me, its not really about gender expression or about embracing femininity or anything. Its more like an artistic expression and method of enhancing things with color theory.  I don't think its particularly feminine in and of its self and I am confident in my identity to have makeup and long hair and still feel masculine.  I don't mind if someone thinks I'm a woman at first because I get that it is a stereotypical feminine thing and I am very androgynous.  I'm glad Sephora is welcoming because it makes it easier for me to throw my dollars at them to buy all the make up now.

I started because I've always loved to toy with society's gender spectrum.  I'm a dude but I've always loved the thought of mixing society's hyper-feminine stereotypes with society's hyper-masculine stereotypes because I think theres a lot of beauty in rebellion.  Makeup for me started as ultra-glamourous makeup (glittery smokey eyes, full coverage foundation, bright highlights and sculpted contours, etc) and gradually changed into a more forward-thinking artistic approach.  I loved the reactions it pulled from people, to see a guy rocking facial hair and bushy eyebrows with a full beat of "feminine" makeup in a ultra-catholic countryside of 8000 people.  To me, it was a release of artistic energy that I didn't always get to express, and it was me showcasing my art, with myself being the canvas!

Thanks for sharing Jules. It was shoes for me, that's how it started. I was 6 or 7 and it was my mom's black patent pumps. I actually did pretty well with them, walking that is. : ) Since then it's been a life of off and on, mostly closeted. I've had to balance my desire to dress vs. my ability to do so, depending on what was happening in my life.

I suppose I'm ready to have a professional makeover done. I just wanted to register, get some feedback and read about other's experiences with Sephora in store services.

8 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 8 replies
  • 23 Hearts Given
  • 7 Contributors
testing