Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Men Who Makeup

Trouble with eye area with concealers

So I’m having trouble with concealers in the eye area? I’m taking care of my skin, I’m using eye creams, I’ve tried putting concealers afterfoundations, etc. And my concealer still creases after like 4 hours. I’m noticing my skin type is oily from the Tzone. Any good concealers that anyone would recommend either drugstore or at Sephora? Any techniques? Any skin care techniques? Or eye creams? Thanks a bunch.

RE: Trouble with eye area with concealers

I’ve found that using the smallest amount of concealer, like a dot in the center of the under eye area, then blending out gently with a small brush works best for me! High end concealers with lots of pigment really don’t need to be applied as heavily as I’ve seen in some tutorials. I honestly don’t even bother with setting powder, though I am a fan of setting spray. Of course everyone’s skin is different, but as someone who found this to be the biggest struggle, this was my solution!

RE: Trouble with eye area with concealers

I second the setting powder suggestion my concealer will crease if I don’t set it with a little setting powder. I set mine with the Air Spun by Coty, you can get it from amazon or even Walmart.

Re: Trouble with eye area with concealers

I have a similar problem, but I have found a half-solution. MAC Prolongwear Concealer doesn't crease on me. I set it just on the tops of my cheeks where I have fine lines before it sets (which it does very quickly), and it stays put. Unfortunately, it's straight up medium coverage. So, if you like color correctors, it might work great for you. I've never found a color corrector that I liked.

Trouble with eye area with concealers

Myself, I have extremely hooded eyes to deal with. With all of the great advise you've already been provided with, from my experience: One great piece of my puzzle is Urban Decay Eyeshadow Primer Potion. Hope you work out your speed bump 😁

@migs85 I would recommend you try SEPHORA COLLECTION - Bright Future Gel Serum Concealer. It is my HG concealer. It has a thin consistency so blends in really well and doesn’t crease. Apply a thin layer and blend it , if you need a bit more coverage apply a second layer instead of going heavy at once. Also it is important to wear a well moisturizing eye cream before hand so the skin around eyes stay soft and hydrated. 

If you set your concealer with a powder, keep a light hand. I hope it helps.

After testing many concealers, I’m convinced that all concealers crease under the eye if you have any lines there. ALL concealers. Even the ones labeled/marketed as “no-crease.” (Liars! 😄

Here’s what I do to combat that. I should mention that my under-eyes are my face’s driest area (so I use an eye serum/brightener + eye cream), I’ve got lines, and I use concealer only to mask specific bits of darkness there. 

• [Edited to add this bullet] Hydrate and moisturize the hell out of the under-eye area. Super important for me because my skin’s flaky dry there, but also a good idea for anyone whose concealer creases a lot. I use a hyaluronic acid serum all over my face, including under my eyes. Then I apply Lancôme Genifique Eye Light Pearl under my eyes. Once that’s absorbed, I apply a layer of eye cream (I’m testing a few different ones against my usual Lancôme High Resolution Eye Refill 3X). Once it’s absorbed, I apply a second layer of eye cream. Sometimes I apply a third layer, especially during winter. This also helps keep my concealer from looking cakey. 
  • If my under-eye darkness isn’t so bad where my lines are, I don’t cover my lines with concealer. Some mornings my entire under-eye is very dark, but other mornings it’s just my tear trough and very inner corners—so I apply a small bit of concealer only to those specific areas and completely avoid my lines. No concealer over lines = no chance of creasing. 🙂 
  • Don’t go heavy handed with concealer. Use only the amount needed for the task at hand. 
  • Creamy concealers work best for my dry under-eyes. I’ve tried thicker stick/pot cream matte finish concealers and liquidy concealers, and they all crease badly on me right from the start. NARS Radiant Creamy is still my concealer of choice, especially since I’ve got 2 perfect color matches there. I know that concealer doesn’t work for everyone, though. What works for you partly depends on how dry or oily (or “normal”) the skin under your eyes is. 
  • Use a setting powder that won’t settle deep into lines. Bonus points if it also has a blurring effect. I use an ultra-fine powder (By Terry Hyaluronic Hydra-Powder) for this. Sometimes I switch to the Hourglass Veil setting powder, which does get into my lines a bit but doesn’t emphasize them, if that makes sense.
  • [Edited to add another bullet; I keep forgetting things!] Don’t use much setting powder. Even if you bake your under-eyes (I don’t, but I know some folks do), use the tiniest amount of powder necessary. I use such a tiny bit of powder, you’d think it’d wouldn’t be nearly enough to set things in place if you watched me apply it. 😄 But the powders I use work great in very small amounts. 
  • A few minutes after application, I gently pull my skin to open my lines, then use a very small buffing brush to lightly buff some of the concealer/powder out of them. 
  • If I notice lots of creasing a few hours later and it really bothers me, I repeat the above buffing. Sometimes I dust a bit more powder over everything. 

You can also try using a primer under your eyes (if you don’t already) to help prevent creasing. An eyeshadow primer might work under the eyes for this. I don’t normally do it because the skin under my eyes reacts badly to various things, but one of my eyeshadow primers did work fairly well for this... I’m trying to remember which one... it was either Make Up For Ever’s or Too Faced’s. 

Hope some of this helped! 

RE: Re: Trouble with eye area with concealers

OMG that is a lot of great info! Thank you very much! 😘😘

This is amazing! So many helpful tips. Very true about the setting powder. I've been using just a little bit of LAURA MERCIER - Translucent Loose Setting Powder - Translucentover my under-eye concealer and it definitely seems to make a difference. 

Thanks @EmmaCram! When I first started concealing under-eye darkness, I used the Laura Mercier setting powder. Unfortunately it doesn’t work as well for me as it does for others, so I switched to other powders. But yeah, finding a powder that works for you is important. 🙂 

@migs85 It could be your undereye is not hydrated enough, it could be the concealer you are using is not compatible with your skin type, it could also be that you need a better primer and setting powder. 

RE: Re: Trouble with eye area with concealers

Hello sorry I’ve notice that I’m oily from my Tzone. If that helps you recommend something. 🤗

Re: RE: Re: Trouble with eye area with concealers

@migs85 I would recommend MAKE UP FOR EVER - Step 1 Skin Equalizer Primer - Mattifying Primer - For Oily Skin or MAC Skin Refined Zone in the t-zone.  For under the eyes I would use KIEHL'S SINCE 1851 - Creamy Eye Treatment with Avocado.  The concealer I use is Cle de Peau but I know its pricer but it works for my skin type(dry/combo) and doesn't crease.  To set the undereye I love HOURGLASS - Veil™ Translucent Setting Powder

Conversation Stats
  • 12 replies
  • 15 Hearts Given
  • 9 Contributors
testing