cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Men Who Makeup
|
Anonymous Insider

Makeup help for a male

Hi!  I'm a male and have never worn or done makeup before.  I would love to learn how, but have absolutely no idea where to start.  Are there places I can go that will give me a tutorial?  Any tips or suggestions?  Best options would be things I could do anonymously or with little exposure.

RE: Makeup help for a male

I first got into using makeup when I bought my first palette- the first Naked palette by Urban Decay. It's all neutral and good for more natural looks so it was easy enough. I watched some tutorials, slowly got better at it and fell in love with makeup. I used to do it to look pretty but now I see it as art and love experimenting with crazy colours. My best advice for a beginner would be to start light and with neutrals because they're easier to use and it's also easier to not end up looking busted! Colours amplify blending mistakes. Start with some medium or light coverage foundations maybe and some soft contour, definitely start off more natural and work your way up. Or at least that's how I did it, if you wanna dive in all the way go ahead! Also WATCH TUTORIALS. Buy a palette and search up tutorials that use your palette and follow along or watch some great beauty gurus like Tati, Nikkie Tutorials or Jaclyn Hill. GOOD LUCK!
Anonymous Insider

Re: Makeup help for a male

I'm by no means a makeup artist, and I've been getting all done up for years now. I don't have a "Drag Mom" to teach me, so I've been watching videos and just trying things. 

Basically - just have fun with it. When you're in CVS, stroll the makeup section and look for things that seem fun to you that aren't expensive. Play at home, try something - wipe it off - and try something else. Find what works for you and when something works - practice, practice, practice. 

No one learns this stuff overnight, so don't feel defeated if you look busted for a while. Just know that the more times you do it, the easier and more polished it'll become. 

But most importantly - HAVE FUN! Laugh when you make a mistake, and smile when it works. 

It really depends what you really want. Experiment and have fun with it. My advice has always been, Don’t be afraid of trying weird colors and always be confident when wearing makeup.

The first question might be, what kind of look are you hoping to achieve?

To not kill your bank account, you can do what my husband and I did. Use drug store level makeup just to test with. The best thing about those is that most drug stores will allow the return of even opened cosmetics for a refund. So you're not out of pocket while learning at home.  Get a nice mirror with 1x and 10x mag, preferrably that sits up comfortably.  Elf makeup brushes are nice quality for low price.  Powder foundation for beginners can be very,  very  forgiving of mistakes.

The biggest tip that most might offer is, start with a light hand.  Dabs, pats and dots of most products vs slathering, smearing, caking on. In other words, think of makeup as varnish. Thin layers, not thick to get a nice result.

Anonymous Insider

Agree with @Kim888 - youtube can provide tutorials for an overall look or if there's something specific that you are interested in learning or focusing on (i.e., contouring, etc.)  Wayne Goss has several good makeup tutorials, some focused on specific techniques, looking flawless, etc.

Anonymous Insider

Love Wayne Goss @Anonymous!

I really think YouTube is going to be your best resource for tutorials! There are quite a few men on YouTube doing makeup and even though some of them are the traditional beauty gurus which not everyone loves personality/style wise their tutorials could still be really helpful! The beauty boy, Manny Mua (he has facial hair in some videos) and James Charles are the three who come to mind. Also since covering facial hair has been mentioned Patrick Starr does drag looks if that is what you are aiming for so he could be a good resource!
Anonymous Insider

I am also new to the makeup world. Just started about a month ago and I've worn only a few products. Figured I'd respond here instead of creating a new convo :). Would love tips, specifically what to use to cover up facial hair stubble.

Anonymous Insider

No matter how much I shave, I still have those tiny dark follicles showing. Here's a counter intuitive tip - get ahold of an orange lipstick or foundation, and paint over your beard and mustache areas. Then apply foundation over that to even your skin tone back to normal, and contour/highlight. I find this works best when I'm really targeting a full on look. (Though in my profile the banner is before I learned the trick, and my current profile pic I was going for a very gender bend look so I embraced the follicles showing through.) 

I agree with other posters - there are many YouTube personalities making videos about makeup for men. Your best bet is to try to find an influencer who looks like you. If you don't have a computer at home, you could always try a library though they might lack privacy.

@Anonymous  There are a number of YouTube tutorials, just search the site with keywords like cover stubble makeup.

Good luck to you both 🙂

10 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 10 replies
  • 32 Hearts Given
  • 10 Contributors
testing