Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Men Who Makeup
Anonymous Insider

Makeup Exploration but still too shy to go to a sephora in a mall

I have just recently started exploring this aspect of my "journey" and on my own I am lousy at it. I am still very much " in the closet" and the closest Sephora is in a JcPenney at  a mall. I am too old too and uncomfortable go into a mall around hundreds and hundreds of people for this. I really want to but I can't do it. I have been trying and trying to find help and it is not happening. 

Any ideas? Please!?!?!?

Re: Makeup Exploration but still too shy to go to a sephora in a mall

@Iamcw A lot of people here learned by watching YouTube makeup tutorials. There are great techniques to be learned from both male and female makeup artists/enthusiasts on YouTube, such as Wayne Goss, Tati Westbrook, James Charles, Jackie Aina, etc. 

One way to start your exploration with lots of affordable, fun options is by purchasing Sephora Favorites sets. You can purchase these online and new ones are stocked every month or two. There are all sorts of themes: lipsticks, skincare, highlighters, mascaras, etc. You get to try the most popular brands at a fraction of the price you would pay if you bought them separately in full-size. 

I’ll tag some examples below. Keep in mind that some sets are only available in the US, and some are only available in Canada. To see the full collection available where you live, search for Sephora Favorites 😊

SEPHORA FAVORITES - Give Me Some Nude Lip

SEPHORA FAVORITES - Sunkissed Glow

SEPHORA FAVORITES - Summer Hair Saviors

SEPHORA FAVORITES - Superstars Kit

SEPHORA FAVORITES - Luxury Beauty Kit

@AnonymousUnidentified Find a local makeup artist for the basics. Local bridal shops should be able to recommend or a local photographer. Ask the MUA about consulations, if they teach you rather than just do, what location, what to bring/have on face prior etc. If they don't do lessons, ask them for a recommendation.

If you have a department store, their beauty counters give samples and usually aren't crowded like a Sephora can be. Some counters have classes as well. You'll need to ask. 

Trial kits are another good way to start. During Black Friday special kits are made, at different prices some are $10 at Sephora.

Brands keep a few exclusive products/sets for buying directly. If you like a product look for a gwp, more products to try for buying anyways. There's threads on BIC for Sephora codes, Ulta and deals elsewhere.

Hello @Anonymous!

I would recommend subscribing to Sephora's PLAY! Box monthly subscription!

PLAYby SEPHORA is a monthly beauty subscription box program. Each month we deliver stellar samples, a PLAY! BOOK of tips and tricks, and a PLAY! PASS to redeem for 50 bonus Beauty Insider points with any full-size purchase.

Every month you will receive new products to try with a PLAY! Book included which will guide you in how to use each product. The PLAY! Box is delivered every month right to your doorstep which eliminates the need to travel to a local store. Good luck on your journey!

Best Wishes,

Mathew

Conversation Stats
  • 3 replies
  • 7 Hearts Given
  • 4 Contributors
testing