Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Men Who Makeup
|

Just starting my new journey.

What would be a good starter makeup kit? I'm just learning how to apply it but don't know what I should buy. I'm currently borrowing some makeup products. Please any help would be appreciated.

Re: Just starting my new journey.

Totally start with drug store makeup just so you can get acquainted with different techniques and types of makeup. There's no shame in buying. Cheap makeup to practice with. Elf is a great company that's not too pricey but they have some decent products. As you get used to makeup experiment with different brands and types and colors. Makeup is supposed to be fun, don't be nervous 🙂

Hello!!! From a fellow man makeup lover, start with a tinted moisturizer. The kosas one worked wonders for me. Or even the fenti setting powder works amazing as foundation for men. Ask me anything!!

Don't be nervous! Makeup can be so fun to mess around with. Since you are starting out, I would recommend that you experiment with different products and formulations (matte, dewy, cream-based, liquid/powder foundation, sheer, foundation vs CC vs BB cream, korean makeup, etc. etc.). It can get overwhelming but start simple. I second what someone else said about starting with drugstore brands. However, when it comes to foundation, if you are having trouble finding a skin tone match (it took me YEARS to find a foundation that matched my skin), I recommend going to Sephora or Ulta and asking the ladies over there for help. Sephora usually has a color iq device that scans your skin and gives you a bunch of options and shades across different brands. 

From what I have heard, reps at Ulta are friendlier (Ulta also carries a lot of drugstore brands unlike Sephora). Good luck and have fun!

I'm pretty excited to take all this wonderful advice & see what comes out of it. I do love messing around with the limited products I do have. But never thought I would be looking at makeup from brand stores or for myself. I now have a deep desire to continue exploring other products & looks . I will take your advice on the foundation. I have only 2 types & none of them are a match to my skin tone. I will also take a look at Ulta. I've never heard of them until now. Nothing would make me happier then going in talking to the sales associate to see what looks beautiful & hopefully  have  lots of fun doing it. I still need to grasp that this is who I am & try not be nervous about it. Thanks again for the amazing advice. Also so glad I have posted this. The replies are so inspiring & genuine. I really love this community here. ❤  

Don't be afraid, people here and in MAC are so much more accepting than you might imagine. They also give great advice. First question is the hardest 🙂

I love your reply ❤ 💕 ♥.  Im so nervous about going into the store & asking for help. I'm going to take your advice & just go in, get the help I certainly require. Thanks so much for these encouraging words!

Good luck, let me know how it goes. You'll be fine. Small steps.

@Amber6969 You can always start with drugstore brands and then move up to brands like MAC, Makeup Forever, etc. it really depends on what you need for your daily makeup routine. For example, brushes, foundation, concealer, blush, brows, mascara, etc.  Some brands will have small starter kits that have your basic foundation, concealer and primer combo. 

Thank you for the great advice😁. I will take a look at the durg stores & see what kits  are available. I need just about everything you listed. So I can figure out what's works best for me & the look I'm going for. Thanks again!!

1 Reply
Conversation Stats
  • 9 replies
  • 15 Hearts Given
  • 6 Contributors
testing