Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Men Who Makeup
|

I love dressing up and applying make up, but have never been out and no one has seen me dressed. I have trouble finding a base that matches.

Re: I love dressing up and applying make up, but have never been out and no one has seen me dressed. I have trouble finding a base that match

This may be a little late, but in case no one else has suggested... if you live where you can get to a Sephora store, there staff will color match your skin tone for a base (foundation), and will ask you about your skin and can make recommendations to try, and even give you samples and techniques.

All the Sephora stores I’ve been in have made a well as female makeup artists. You could call ahead and ask for an appointment with a male MUA, who may be more equipped to help you with skincare unique to men’s needs.

I know this may be intimidating, and depending on where you live may be more difficult to imagine doing, especially if you are concerned you may encounter a family friend of relatives at the mall/in store.

if it is an option, but you’re concerned about how the store will handle your request, maybe you could tell them you’re getting headshots done for professional reasons and want to look more youthful and polished. Newscasters and people who are on TV all wear makeup - including men you would never think are doing it! They just don’t tell anyone 😉

Tip: some people like a “blender” - a sponge - to apply foundation, while others like a brush. Both take practice, so be kind to yourself as you learn. You can practice technique on your hands, till you see how they work and what amount looks most natural for you. I like Sephora’s Pro Flawless Airbrush #56, for how easily it spreads and blends. Whether you use a brush or a sponge, you can wet it then squeeze the excess water out in a towel before you apply - this helps it go on smoothly for me. I like Dior Backstage for everyday - it’s the only product that truly perfectly blends into my skin. Always exfoliate and cleanse your face before applying, to make sure there is no dry/flakey skin (shaving will do the trick, too - but make sure you moisturize after, and give it a good 15 min to sink in, and let your face recover, or the foundation may sting)!

Finally, less is more: matching is one thing, but putting on too much even if it matches is going to make it look like you’re doing theater... with my Dior,  a drop the size of a pencil eraser does half my face! You can always dab on a little more, but if you put on too much you have to start over.

Taking it off: but yourself a bottle of good quality micellar water. This will take off any type of makeup without being harsh on your skin. Get soft cotton pads - don’t get cotton balls, they’ll leave fuzzies everywhere if you have any stubble. The cotton pads are in the nail care section of the drugstore, or you can get Shiseido Facial Cotton - the Rolls Royce of cotton pads - here... they’re a little bigger than drugstore ones and may be easier for you to work with if you have larger hands. Finally, make sure to wash your tools with soap and water to keep them clean and stop bacteria from building up, which can cause break outs

Good luck, and just know there are thousands of us out here ready to help. All we want is for you be happy and feel good ✌🏼

Re: I love dressing up and applying make up, but have never been out and no one has seen me dressed. I have trouble finding a base that match

I dress up too, been to a store once to buy 5in heels, when ever wife isn’t around put on make-up and slip into my heels

Conversation Stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 Hearts Given
  • 3 Contributors
testing