Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Men Who Makeup

First Time With Makeup

I have been curious about makeup and always wanted to try it out, so I got the app and I have no idea about what to get first. so I found this and now I just want to see your opinions on what I should try first.

Re: First Time With Makeup

I agree that getting color matched is an important first step, as well as determining your desired coverage, finishes, etc. I imagine some of the basics would be the right skincare, light coverage face makeup (BB cream, tinted moisturizer), and a brow product. Are you starting by dipping your toes in the water, or going full cannonball? 🙂

I wonder if it might be worthwhile to consult the wonderful world of YouTube? I’m far from an expert on men’s makeup, but I’ve seen many great resources out there. Wayne Goss comes to mind immediately, as he’s a professional. When I first got into makeup beyond the drugstore, I looked for YTers who had similar skin to mine, seemed relatable, and made fun and informative content. Perhaps this would be helpful to you as well. Best of luck!

RE: First Time With Makeup

I recommend using the born this way concealer by too faced and their hangover RX primer

Unsure of facial hair but always be sure to blend into it if you do have. As for a good base product do you want a more radiant or matte look? Concealers I love the YSL Touché éclat Pen or Sephora no crease Skin tints Sephora collection Armani Chartlet. T I would highly recommend going into Sephora if one is close by and do a custom makeover. This can allow you to have somebody show you products ($50 purchase required)

Re: First Time With Makeup

I would really suggest that you go into a Sephora and get your color IQ done. That will help you find things like foundation, concealer, etc to match your skin tone.

First Time With Makeup

you should get something that oxidizes on the skin to blend out to your tone skin for a natural look if that's what your looking for. I use benefit oxygen one for that same reason and a little goes a long way

I would recommend going for a tinted product. You get light coverage and the benefits of the product the pigments are suspended in. Be sure to ask your store associate if the product is buildable. If it is you have the possibility of creating a thick coverage. You will be very self conscious but that will pass with time as you master application of your product. Your store associates are your best allies in this journey so trust them.

Re: RE: First Time With Makeup

+100. Tinted moisturizer or BB cream (I use one by Dr Jart), plus a creamy concealer to match your skin (I love the one by NARS), topped with setting spray. It'll look super natural, and you only really need those three products to start. (If you want to accentuate your lashes, I'd add a fourth product -- Benefit's tinted lash primer. It's a super natural lash tint, and it looks nothing like mascara. Add a lip balm, and you're glowing!)

My husband got into wearing "everyday" makeup because he suffers from redness and occasional breakouts, and he has to go to a lot of meetings and put his "best face forward." His first (terrifying) trip to a Sephora, he was actually immediately greeted and assisted by a male store associate, who was able to match his concealer to his skin perfectly. So @Alegandro is right-on; store associates are your allies! They will not send you out into the world looking mismatched or silly.

At first my husband really enjoyed using a Beauty Blender sponge, but now, he says, he's good enough at makeup that he just uses clean fingers -- he likes the control of coverage he can achieve with bare hands. So try a sponge for now, and toss it out later 😉

xoxo! Enjoy the journey, OP!

Conversation Stats
  • 7 replies
  • 12 Hearts Given
  • 8 Contributors
testing