Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Men Who Makeup
|

Best Product To Minimize Pores

Hey guys! So, let’s put this out there - I live for a full on airbrushed face (see https://youtu.be/G1MVDvEc-Wo) however, wearing that much makeup (I find with setting Powder especially) it magnifies my pores even more. I’ve attached a photo of my pores with makeup and without - if anyone has ANY suggestions on any moisturizers, cleaners, toners, masks, whatever.. please let me know! Thanks guys and girls 💋

RE: Best Product To Minimize Pores

A few suggestions (from a man who has experimented with a plethora of makeup and skincare products for the last decade in constant combat with oily skin and enlarged pores...): 1) TONING. After cleansing, use a toner with at least some level of astringent (alcohol derivatives, salicylic acid, witch hazel, etc. are the most classic ingredients for this purpose). This will cause an almost instant retraction of your pores due to your skin’s natural reaction to these ingredients. Don’t overdo it, as these can often be drying, especially when starting out. Also, like everything, it’s not a permanent fix, but it will help for enough time to get on with the next steps in your regimen and probably at least half the day. Pores naturally open up over time due to typical oil production, exposure to heat, and other factors such as sweating and humidity. In terms of product recommendations, Clinique is a great place to start, with options to fit every skin type (PS- they call their toners “lotions”, but you can tell they are toners by how fluid they are, as opposed to typical “lotions” which tend to be more solid). 2) TIMING. If and when time allows, allow time between steps/applying products. For example, after I shower or cleanse my face, I always wait at least 10-15 min to allow my pores to adjust before applying my first step treatment/serum, then another bit before moisturizer, then another bit before primer/concealer/etc. I’ve spoken with several dermatologists who have consistently recommended adding wait time between steps and trust me, it makes a difference. The best part? It’s a free addition to your regimen, but probably the most valuable addition one could incorporate. Think of your products as distinct layers rather than a hodgepodge of stuff you race to put on your face. 3) PRIMING. If you’re not using a primer it’s time to use one; if you’re using one and it’s not significantly improving the smoothness (and optical pore size reduction) of your skin - it’s time to switch. I personally use and highly recommend Smashbox Photo Finish Light Primer (or the original Photo Finish if your skin can tolerate something a bit heavier). Most primers admittedly use a decent amount of silicone and/or similar substances to create a smooth canvas, but too much can cause pore blockage, so it’s important to find products with the right balance. Smashbox also recently added a pore minimizing primer which I’ve yet to try, but it’s worth a shot to grab a sample! Finally, and I swear I’m not affiliated or paid by Smashbox in any way, but they also came out with an awesome primer stick recently that you can quickly/easily apply as well - I love it and sometimes layer on top of my Photo Finish Light or use it on its own. Last but not least, there are other primer-hybrid products that are made specifically to cover pores, like The Porefessional by Benefit Cosmetics. I’ve used it, and it works, but it needs to be a last step because it tends to flake and ball up if another silicone-based product is used on top. It also has a moderate fragrance, which some find pleasant, and other with sensitive skin may not be able to tolerate. Hope this helps!

Touch in Sol solved my pore problem. It’s only $18, which is a bargain for how high-quality it is. Also, find a loose setting powder and find a highlighting brush. Dip the SIDE, not the end, of the brush into the powder and lay that powder on the areas you want to blur. Sweep off the excess. I learned this from the Sephora YouTube account.

You have a pretty great skin situation going on! If I had to recommend anything: Invest in a Clarisonic. Cleansing daily with that will definitely shrink your pores since it cleanses so deep. For a primer: Touch In Sol is actually AMAZING with filling pores and it’s $18.

Hi, Nate! Your skin is gorgeous! But yep, I can definitel...

Hi, Nate! Your skin is gorgeous! But yep, I can definitely see from the photos that the makeup is making your pores stand out more, which kinda makes no sense, right?! My favorite product in the universe is Perfekt Skin "Skin Perfection Gel." It's not a gel, though-- it's more like a whipped mousse (like chocolate mousse texture... not hair mousse). It can be worn as a primer under your makeup, or over your whole face for a beautiful, translucent, airbrushed but very natural (which is what I usually do), or... on those occasions when I do a full face of makeup for stage or special occasions, I will do my makeup first (without it) and then dab/blend the Perfection Gel around the lines around my eyes, and my pores in my T-zone as my last step. I call it Photoshop for your face. I really think it'll be great for blurring/hiding your pores without being a ton of coverage. you'll probably want the shade called "Radiant." A little goes a long way, and the most you'd need is a pea-sized dot. Dab and pat it on, as opposed to rubbing it in/on. I don't work for the company or anything at all... I just love this stuff, and it works so well... and it seems like nobody knows about it. Anyway, whatever you wind up using, good luck!
4 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 4 replies
  • 5 Hearts Given
  • 5 Contributors
Photos3
testing