Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Men Who Makeup
|

Are men really afraid of wearing makeup?

Wearing makeup is often referenced as empowering. Want to change your looks dramatically? Makeup can do that. With a flip of a few brushes or a swipe of someone can instantly clean up and enhance natural features. Or if you just had a rough night or are not feeling well? A little makeup and presto, refreshed and ready to go. And it gives a real boost, I’ve felt that empowering rush. But I am not a woman though, I am a man approaching 50.

As empowering as makeup is for many, for most men even for those of us openly wearing it we still feel fear at times. I feel it a little bit every day, somehow it has been ingrained into society that if they use certain cosmetics deemed womanly, are weaker because of it.
Or there is something “wrong” with them.

Self-shaming is the worst, I still feel the bits of fear or but I wear it anyway and choose to feel good about it. I have a few guy friends that know, but many that don’t. Most men couldn’t tell if your shade was off or if your application isn’t great. I I’m a lot braver now, and I’m finding the more I simply do it the better I get and feel about it. I don’t want to be a woman, not that there is anything wrong with it, I just like being a guy. I’m not into dresses or high heels, or women’s clothes. I’ll take a suit all day, that and my bareMinerals too. I’ll be keeping that too thank you.

For most of recorded history, men have used makeup to enhance themselves in many of the same ways as women do today. Nail color, blush, foundation, eyeliner, pigmented shadows, pigment on lips. Men used to do that, look it up.
It wasn't until the mid-1800s that makeup suddenly shifted to women only. All of recorded history to that point, that’s almost 6000 years that there was no feminine connotation to the word or act of using makeup.

Name any culture and there are examples to be found of men rocking makeup. Even my own roots, the Picts were called the “painted people” by the Romans. I believe that expressing ourselves with makeup used to feel empowering for men, and for sure I feel the empowering side When I nail it.

I figured the Sephora groups were a good a place as any to post this.
This is Just how I am feeling now that I have been wearing makeup and taking it all in since.
I am not complaining by a long shot, just been thinking a lot about men, society, and makeup and wondering how others feel about it. Makeup is fun and I look forward to seeing it become more and more accepted for men to wear it openly. I would love to rock some glam, color or glitter on a night out someday and be admired instead of having my sanity or gender questioned. But that’s going to take some time to work into. It’s scary but I think I’ll get there. I like it too much not to try.

Ladies who comment, thank you so much for your support. I appreciate the comments here and the ladies who I see in person. Women have been amazing to me in general, encouraging for sure and rarely judgmental. The advisors in Sephora are flat out the best, love them, but I need to be careful though. They are almost TOO encouraging. Maybe that’s a little more of what I need, a full Sephora makeover?

RE: Are men really afraid of wearing makeup?

Been wearing makeup for a while now. I feel very confident.

Anonymous Insider

Re: Are men really afraid of wearing makeup?

I couldn’t agree more!  I’ve just started wearing makeup, and it is so empowering!  OMG!    Makeup can not only allow you to change your look, but can also be such a great confidence booster!

hugs, 

Ash

When I first came on these boards after starting to shop at my local Sephora, I was amazed as well at how supportive so many of the Ladies here have been. I have nothing but great things to say about the Sephora that I shop at as well. The Ladies there have been wonderful and so helpful and they recognize and greet me whenever I come in.

It is too bad that society has conditioned so many in negative ways to guys wearing makeup.

You're lucky, @Skatingaway , unfortunately I've had lots of unpleasant experiences at my local Sephora. I've been to the other one in my province and have been told also by women have complained about that location. It's a lot better now.

Hope you'll have fun playing with makeup, good luck.

RE: Re: Are men really afraid of wearing makeup?

Sorry to hear that Girly2Shoes I’ve had nothing but great experiences at Sephora And I really don’t feel like what I wear is all that noticeable unless I either mess up something or if someone really looks close. I have been enjoying makeup I take days off and I find when I do I miss wearing it by the end of the day. It has become integrated with my routine. The one place I struggle for no apparent reason is I don’t like to put it on when my girlfriend is in the bathroom at the same time as me. It’s almost like a taboo subject in some ways. And that’s my deal not hers and something I want to get over. I mean I have no problem wearing it out in public, my girlfriend is well aware I am wearing it. She sees me take it off sometimes. Just shaking my head at myself about it. Society does program the hell out of us in so many ways, this being a prime example Makeup is simply something that brings me joy, I love being a man and everything that goes with it. Wearing and enjoying makeup has nothing to do with gender It has everything to do with self care and expression.

@Skatingaway I really hope we can get society to catch up. There is no reason you should have to fear going out in what makes you feel beautiful. Keep rocking your suits and Bare Minerals!

@Skatingaway Thank you for your post.  It's nice to hear and see guys that like makeup just as much as women do.  I am always in awe of guys that wear makeup because honestly some of the makeup I have seen on men look really good and way better than what I can do on my own face.  Plus, I wish I was that confident in rocking makeup.  Some men make it look effortless and I love it!  Do you and tell the haters "bye"

Yes, @SportyGirly125 ,I've been liking your comments to my own posts and I love how supportive the ladies are in these threads. I'd love to give you a BIG kiss on the cheek( and leave a bright red Lip print on it!)

Thank you.

Effortless, yep some days.
others not so much, lol. 🙂
Men can be good at this, it's really fun when you can create what you were thinking.

RE: Are men really afraid of wearing makeup?

Man I had this all formatted and spaced and it did this Sorry to any that make it through. But I did use paragraphs.

Re: RE: Are men really afraid of wearing makeup?

fixed, next time I don't do that on my mobile.

Conversation Stats
  • 11 replies
  • 58 Hearts Given
  • 7 Contributors
Photos1
testing