Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Makeup Is Life

beginner in makeup ! Help !!

Hello ppl !!

I am one of those girls, who has never did anything to her face till now (Iam 24years old). Absolutely nothing, no  foundation, no cream, no moisturizer until now. 

I recently got married & I looked so beautiful in makeup on that day lol !! I will be going on my honeymoon next month, and would really love to do makeup and stuff on the trip. 

But I own nothing, no makeup related products. Except for a gel eye liner and a red lipstick.  

I tried to apply Maybelline foundation & ended up looking like a ghost, So threw the foundation away

Could anyone please help with how to begin this journey into the world of make up, what products would I need to start with? I am really looking for some good products that wont make me look like a ghost in all of my honeymoon pics !!

Also I am thinking to take the beauty service in Sephora, to learn how to do a simple natural looking makeup. So should I go for 'Custom Makeover' or 'Personal one on one'

P.S : I have like really really dry skin.

Thanks in advance !!

Tags:

RE: beginner in makeup ! Help !!

Hi girl! Congrats on your wedding so first I definitely think you should do a Sephora class do regular makeup class with everyone. Next please please don’t buy a bunch of products ! Stick to a basic healthy skin first regimen and then incorporate a few beauty products in. Cleansing is #1 creamy cleansers are the best because they don’t dry out your skin. Also cleansing water that you can put on a cleaning pad and wipe around your face are also great. Bioderma is a great cleansing water. Toner- essential step for healthy skin underneath makeup. Check out P50 by biologique it’s the best. Serum-since you mentioned you are on dry side get a serum for good hydration Tatcha, drunk elephant, caudalie have great serums! Then finish with a moisturizer to lock in all that work you did to keep your skin nice healthy and balanced. Once you do the steps finish with a lightweight foundation (powder or liquid) by bare minerals they are natural minimal and a great brand to start with for makeup beginners. Bare minerals has a wide range of colors too. Mascara is always a great add two-face has great mascara. Bare minerals also have really pigmented lipglosses that are also all natural. Now your skin is healthy and your makeup is natural and flawless you gogirl! Have fun on that honeymoon😘

I hope this post gives you a little idea of some of the tools used to apply makeup Primer- Preps skin for makeup Foundation: lays base for makeup. In my opinion it’s the most important part of the whole routine. If you have dry skin I suggest avoiding powder foundation at all costs. MAKE SURE TO GET IN IN YOUR SHADE!!! if you don’t know your shade you can swatch some of the shades on your arm or go to the colour iq station at sephora Concealer: hides dark circles and brightens complexion. Concealer shade is typically a shade or two lighter than your foundation Powder: sets foundation (if you have a dark complexion I recommend the Laura Mercier setting powder in the deep brown shade) Highlighter: provides a nice glow to your face. It can be a bright or subtle glow. Highlighter can be in liquid or powder form. Highlighter is usually applies to high cheekbones and bridge of nose Eyebrow pencil: fills in sparse hairs. Concealer can be used to clean brows for a sharper and more dramatic look. Use eyebrow brush to shape our brows Eyeliner/mascara: I think it’s obvious Eyelash curler: while this isn’t necessary, curling your lashes before mascara gives them that extra boost or volume Blush: adds a nice pop of colour to your face. Be sure to apply to apples of cheeks Eyeshadow: always apple eyeshadow with a transitioning shade first. Apply dark colours at the bottom and lighter shades at the time. Be sure to apply to crease and under the brow bone Contour: defines cheek bones and other areas such as your brows Lipstick: use lip liner for a better look (make sure lip liner is shade as lipstick) lipstick is in either a matte or gloss finish Setting spray: a spray that sets your makeup in place to make it last throughout the day HOPE THIS HELPED!!!!!

I would agree with the other post. Schedule a makeover or class at your local Sephora. Good luck!!
Anonymous Insider

Re: beginner in makeup ! Help !!

@NehaKallakuri,firstly, congratulations! You're a newlywed!

As @Steph561 and @Gabstar3015, skincare is an important step when it comes to makeup. In general, you should, be able to use your moisturizer as a primer. However, if your skin is very dry and you need a primer, you might want to look into First Aid Beauty Hello FAB Coconut Skin Smoothing Priming Moisturizer or Too Faced Hangover Replenishing Primer – both contain coconut water which is known for its hydrating properties. The First Aid Beauty primer is tinted, the Too Faced one is not.  I have combination-dry, dehydrated skin and these are two of my favorite primers.  If you are going somewhere humid for your honeymoon, you may find you don't need a primer, as your skin may be less dry in such climates.

I would encourage you to schedule an appointment with a Sephora beauty advisor. I’m not 100% sure, but I think the difference between the custom makeover and the personal one-on-one is the minimum purchase amount (the cost for the appointment can be applied to purchasing products) and the scope of the appointment, with the custom makeover focusing on a full-face makeover and the personal one-on-one appointment covering skincare and makeup. Which one you decide will depend on your budget and what you are looking for from the appointment – makeup or skincare and makeup.

If there is a Sephora near you, you might want to visit it to see which beauty advisors are providing these services, to see if their personality and the way they do their makeup is compatible with yours. If you elect to have either the makeover or the one-on-one at Sephora, please remember that if there's something you don't like or that you think is off (like the color match), you should let the beauty advisor know.  If you have a friend you can bring with you, I’d recommend that as well – it’s always good to have someone whose opinion you trust to let you know how your makeup looks. 

In terms of good products for you to start with and for natural looking makeup, I’d say:

• Skincare – at a minimum, cleanser, moisturizer and sunblock
  • Makeup – for your base makeup, (1) maybe something lightweight with a more sheer coverage (like a tinted moisturizer or a BB or CC cream, such as IT Cosmetics Your Skin But Better CC Cream or Hourglass Illusion Hyaluronic Skin Tint (this one is good for very dry skin) - when checking to see if the color is a good match, you might want to check what your makeup looks like in natural light because the shade could look like it matches you in the store under the heavy lights but look completely different on you outdoors in natural light - you can also ask for samples of the color(s) they have matched you to; (2) a concealer for the under eye area and/or to cover any blemishes; and (3) a setting powder. Then, maybe (4) a tinted lip balm and/or a lipstick/gloss that is “your lips but better” – love that you have a red lipstick – that will be amazing for when you go out in the evenings or on those days when you want to do a bold lip, but it might be nice to have a more natural lip color for every day. Fresh, Too Cool for School and Sephora Collection have nice some tinted lip balms – moisturizing on your lips with a tint of color. If you prefer a lip product that provides more coverage than a balm, you could get a lip gloss. You might also want to check out Stila Convertible Color – it’s a product that can be used to add color to your lips as well as your cheeks (a lipstick and blusher in one).If you like your gel liner for your eyes, you don’t need anything else. If you wanted to add something extra, I’d recommend (5) eyelash curler and (6) mascara. There are many good mascaras out there, at Sephora, in department stores and in drugstores. I wasn’t very comfortable applying mascara when I first started wearing makeup and I preferred a very minimal, natural look so I purchased an eye lash curler and a clear mascara from the drugstore – it was enough to give my eyes a little pop without making me feel overwhelmed with all the other makeup products.

I agree with @kck22 recommendation to bring in pictures of looks you like. You may want to bring in a picture from your wedding. Also, if you had your makeup done professionally, you might want to reach out to the makeup artist to ask him/her what makeup was used, particularly the foundation if you liked the color match.

Moisturizer is definitely key! Focus on your skin care for pre makeup, morning wash and evening wash! The next step is part would be "frame the face". If you've never worn makeup before you want to start out slow and learn as you go. Frame - eyes, lips and cheeks. 

I think that the beauty essentials that every beginner should have are: 

1. Moisturizer - Great substitute for primer, benefits the skin, make sure to purchase a moisturizer with SPF     

2. BB cream - it's super easy to work with because it has a sheer coverage, its very lightweight, and you don't need to worry about picking the correct shade. I use the Maybelline Fresh BB cream. 

3.  Concealer - use if you want any extra coverage for under eyes and any blemishes, I use the NARS soft matte because it gives good coverage without looking super cakey and you don't need to set it because it sets matte, unless you have very oily skin, then set it with some powder (I use the mini version of the Laura Mercier setting powder)  

4. Mascara - It gives extra volume and color to your eyelashes. I use the roller lash mascara by benefit, it's one of my holy grails and I don't know what I would do without it.

5. Anything else you want (eyebrow pencil, highlighter, etc)   

I hope this helps 🙂

Schedule a custom makeover at your nearest Sephora! They can go through everything with you...find your foundation color and teach you how to apply everything in about an hour! $50 minimum purchase. It's totally worth it! Also I find it easiest if you bring a picture of a makeup look that interests you, they can help you recreate it.
Conversation Stats
  • 7 replies
  • 6 Hearts Given
  • 8 Contributors
testing