cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Makeup Is Life
|
Anonymous Insider

Please help me

I wear lip gloss, mascara, and sometimes light eyeshadow , because my mom thinks I'm to young for makeup. Is there any other simple things I could wear? Thank you!

Maybe you could add a light coverage tinted moisturizer o...

Maybe you could add a light coverage tinted moisturizer or a powder foundation. Both are good for keeping a very natural, no makeup type look.

Re: Please help me

If I had to put together my ideal minimal makeup bag/face, it would be:

1. tinted moisturizer/light coverage foundation
    1. Laura Mercier Oil-Free Tinted Moisturizer (oily)
    2. BareMinerals Tinted Moisturizer (dry)
    3. The Ordinary Serum Foundation (all types)
  2. pressed powder
    1. Rimmel Stay Matte
    2. Maybelline Fit Me
    3. MAC Mineralize Skinfinish Natural
  3. bronzer
    1. Physician's Formula Butter Bronzer (fair-medium)
    2. Nudestix Nudies All-Over Face Color (fair-dark)
  4. mascara
    1. L'oreal Lash Paradise (volume + length + lashhh)
    2. Covergirl Lashblast Fusion/Length/Volume or Clump Crusher (pick your poison)
  5. tinted brow gel
    1. Glossier Boy Brow
      1. (feel free to add brow pencil or powder for a more defined look)
  6. neutral matte shadow
    1. MAC Paint Pot in Groundwork (neutral brown)
    2. Colourpop Pressed Powder Shadow in Made To Last (pinky brown)
    3. (or just use your bronzer)
  7. shimmery shadow
    1. Colourpop Super Shock Shadow in Reversible (pale champagne)
      1. champagnes will look most natural on fair-light skin tones
    2. Makeup Geek Eyeshadow in Glamorous (true gold)
      1. golds will look most natural on light-medium skin tones
    3. Makeup Geek Eyeshadow in Homecoming (bronze)
      1. bronzes will look most natural on medium-deep skin tones
  8. sheer, creamy lipstick
    1. MAC lustre lipsticks
    2. Lancome Juicy Shakers
    3. YSL Lipsticks

I know it seems like a lot, but it won't look like much on if you use a light hand. Of course, substitute and mix and match as you see fit. I know some people will like a concealer instead of a tinted moisturizer or a lipgloss or tinted balm instead of a lipstick, etc. I also like a touch of bronzer on my natural makeup days, but I'm also known to add a cream highlight because I, like many others, like a little glow. However, in my opinion it isn't an essential so I didn't add this to my list. I also left off blush because my cheeks tend to flush rather easily and I'd rather have the warmth and structure from a bronzer, but if you feel pale, pasty, or dull, blush might be a better single cheek product. Also, I like to go dramatic with my lashes even if there's not much else going on on the rest of my face, but other people might like a more natural mascara look.

Let me know what you think of my round up! Would love to see what other people would put in their minimal makeup bags...

RE: Please help me

I think many parents are like this! I agree w/ other users that it's probably best to use a minimal amount of products and a light hand when doing so. At the same time though, it would be beneficial to talk with your mom about why you want to wear makeup and what her concerns on. Try to find mutual ground. It will only anger her more if you are doing something she dislikes behind her back. Good luck!

My parents felt the same way that your mom does. I started by wearing eyeliner, mascara, a little blush and gloss. Eventually you get to out more on. I wore liner on my water line at first and as I got older was able to make a wing and wear lipsticks. But liner, mascara, eyeshadow, blush and gloss can go a long way! 

My mom was the same way when I was younger but I was still able to wear a little bit of makeup and still feel put together. Now the minimalist  makeup I used to wear when I was younger actually helps me get out the door faster and still look polished. The basic staples for me is tinted brow gel, mascara, brown eyeliner and some lip gloss maybe concealer if I have a spot of something and setting spray to keep it all in place. Hope that helped.

Anonymous Insider

I think a good mascara, a great natural toned cream eyeshadow, and maybe a natural lip color lipstick or tinted lip balm can take you a long way, but one thing I think that can add to a natural look without being TOO much would be a brow product. Having your brows "done" adds a lot to any look. In fact, when I get ready, I only apply sunscreen and a brow gel or light application of a pencil. 
I'd recommend either a pencil or brow gel. If you have thinker brows with some shape, then use a gel to tame, hold, and shape the hairs. If you have less brow hair or shower hairs, then try a pencil to create a light shadow shape beneath the hair to create the illusion of a naturally fuller brow. 

It will shock you how much a brow an add without seeming like a lot of added product. Try starting with a light brow before adding more makeup, then balance the rest of your face as necessary.

RE: Re: Please help me

I second this! Brows frame your face and so can really impact your look. I would say curl your eyelashes and do your brows. Try and use two products on your brows, one for color to define and one brow gel to groom the hairs. If your mom won't let u use color (like a brow pencil) on ur eyebrows, then just do a gel. If you don't get your eyebrows waxed regularly, then I would use a clear brow gel. If you do, it's easier to pull off a tinted gel. In summary the minimalist approach to groomed brows is: clear brow gel. The next step up in the brow game would be tinted brow gel. Next up: color using either brow pencil or pomade/powder with an angled brush. Then on top either clear or tinted brow gel. Have fun!

If you like to experiment with makeup you can try the virtual makeover on the sephora app for fun otherwise you could experiment with a subtle blush or different lip colors and mascaras. Just because you are limited to a few things doesn't mean you can't have fun with them!

@Anonymous You could probably wear a variety of things, as long as you apply them with a light hand.  HG 1.5mm eyeliner is perfect for just a little bit of lining, and if done well just makes your lashes look fuller.  Some contouring powder could be applied to your temples, or along your jawline.  Good luck!

I think your mom is more concerned about making sure you have a strong foundation for a sense of self first, before you dabble more into makeup, meaning: she wants you to understand that you are beautiful to begin with, and that makeup is for you to enjoy, and not something that defines you. I realize this is wayyyy too deep, thats just something I understand now as an adult, since I was also not able to dabble in makeup until I was a little older.

However, here are some tips on how to ACCENTUATE and ENHANCE your current gorgeous face, without angering mom, lol:

1. Skip foundation, just conceal little spots that you want to cover, and top off with a lightweight setting powder. I recommend a powder with SPF, so you not only set your face, but protect it as well 😉

2. Skip the contour and bronzer, maybe light dusting of blush and/or a smidge of glowy (not metallic) highlight will maintain your youthful look.

3. Don't overdo it, remember to balance out your face when applying makeup. If you are experimenting with a little eyeliner, maybe don't wear blush or a heavy lip color. Pick one are of your face to focus on, try something new, and leave the rest of the face neutral.

Hey! LI am pretty young too. My tip would be to use multipurpose products. For example I wear concealer as foundation and as eyeshadow primer. Then I'll use a tinted lip balm on my lips and as a sheer blush. I will also take my highlighter and use it on my face as well as eyeshadow and a lip gloss. And finally after powder I usually use clear mascara as an eyebrow gel. Just get creative and you can turn minimal products into a full face or a natural ready for school look that you can accomplish in a reasonable amount of time!
Conversation Stats
  • 11 replies
  • 9 Hearts Given
  • 12 Contributors
testing