Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Makeup Is Life
|

No makeup makeup look

I'm looking for makeup that will give me that no makeup makeup look. I want to have that clean sleek face without the buildup.

No makeup makeup look

YSL All in one glow or Lancome Skin Feels Good

Re: No makeup makeup look

Hi @Beckyzelaya,

I recommend the LANEIGE - BB Cushion Hydra Radiance SPF 50. I use this product for days I want to look like I am not wearing makeup and just want to even my skin tone out or on days I want a fuller coverage I just add a little more. It is so versatile and leaves my skin with a nice glowy finish. 

Best,

Rebecca 

Hey you have an awesome name! 😉 I do like my makeup to have an SPF factor in them solely because I go outside a LOT. The fact that it evens out the skin tone grabs my attention because I have red splotches especially on my cheeks. It's also great to know that you can put more on without it caking. Thank you so much! ❤️

Are you looking for full skin coverage? Or do you just want sheer coverage, or even just spot concealing in a few places? 

If you don’t want full coverage, you can skip foundation and tinted moisturizer. Just use a moisturizer and/or moisturizing primer that has a softening/blurring visual effect and leaves no white cast. Most days, I just wear Lancôme Hydra Glow primer or MAKE UP FOR EVER - Step 1 Skin Equalizer Primer (I use the radiant caramel one to brighten/warm my skin tone; a very fair-skinned friend of mine uses the radiant peach one) all over my face and do some spot concealing with NARS Radiant Creamy Concealer BiscuitThen I dab a little setting powder on the concealer, run an eyebrow pencil (usually Benefit Cosmetics Precisely, My Brow Pencil Waterproof Eyebrow Definer Shade 3.5) through my brows, pick a lipstick (if I’m going for a “no makeup” look, I’ll choose a nude shade), and maybe add a very light dusting of matte powder blush (usually NARS - Blush in Liberte, if I want a no-makeup look with no shimmer; otherwise, I wear the shades Outlaw and Taos often). If I want a no-makeup lash boost, I use PERRICONE MD - No Mascara Mascara.

You can also try a finishing powder (not to be confused with a setting powder) over moisturizer or primer to get a softened/blurred effect. You could even just strategically dust a little bronzer over your moisturized/primed face and call it done. 

If you want more coverage instead, then I’d recommend a tinted moisturizer as others have mentioned. I use Lancôme SKIN FEELS GOOD Tinted Moisturizer with SPF 23 16C Real Suede or IT Cosmetics Bye Bye Foundation. Others have already mentioned IT’s CC cream which is also good. Most moisturizing skin tints offer buildable coverage, so you can wear them very sheer or build up to medium or full coverage—and you can apply/blend with your fingers. 

If you have hooded eyes (like me) and want to minimize the hood/maximize your lid without doing a full eyeshadow look: a duo or small palette of neutral/nude mattes is your best friend. You only need a dark nude matte to deepen your crease and darken your hood, and a light nude to brighten your lid. As others have mentioned, a bronzer or contour palette would also work for this. 

There are lots of options for no-makeup makeup looks. 🙂

Yeah, I like sheer coverage but I do spot concealing as well. I have no idea what a white cast is. What setting powder would you recommend? I've tried a couple but they do not work out for me, because of my oily skin. I didn't even think about dabbing the bronzer over my primer and moisturizer, thanks for that tip! Thank you so very much for all the wonderful info!! ❤️

@Beckyzelaya Glad I could help!

A white cast is a white residue (left behind after you apply a product) that appears on skin. For instance, some sunscreens that contain zinc leave a white cast on the skin. Several primers leave a white cast. Tatcha Silk Canvas is the first one that comes to mind: I never use that primer unless I plan to cover it with concealer or foundation/skin tint, or even just bronzer or tinted setting powder. 

Setting powders are a challenge for me: I’m still looking for one that works well on the oily part of my face (the skin on and around my nose). I have a few setting powders that work great on my dry patches: Hourglass Veil, Becca Hydra-Mist, and Charlotte Tilbury Airbrush Flawless Finish. But I definitely wouldn’t recommend the Charlotte Tilbury powder for oily skin, because it has a lot of trouble on my oily nose. The Hourglass Veil powder can handle my oily nose for 1-2 hours before it gives up. 😄 I haven’t tried the Becca Hydra-Mist on my nose yet because I just assumed it wouldn’t do well, but I should give it a shot. 

I just got Lancôme’s Long Time No Shine setting powder but haven’t had time to try it yet. I’ll test it tomorrow. A friend loves the Fenty pressed powder for her oily skin, and the nice thing about that one is it comes in a portable compact—so you can reapply powder as needed on the go. I’m almost convinced no setting powder really works 100% on oily skin and it’s just gotta be reapplied throughout the day as needed. 

Ah I see.... hence the white cast. Ooh great recommendations for setting powders! I have a really oily nose and I wear glasses so it gets hard finding something that counteracts the two. Oh same here, in dire need of finding the perfect setting powder. Oh how did that Lancome No Shine setting powder work for you?

@Beckyzelaya The Lancôme Long Time No Shine Loose Setting Powder Translucent worked fairly well on my nose. I had to reapply after 4 or 5 hours each day I used it this summer, but that’s much longer shine control than I get with my CT, Hourglass, and Becca powders. Since the jar is huge, I had to put some into a small travel jar to carry with me throughout the day. 

I also tried the translucent Beauty Bakerie Flour and it worked the best for me. I don’t use it (or the Lancome powder) under my eyes, or anywhere else my skin is dry—which is 90% of my face—but it did a good job on my nose area. On one particularly hot and humid day, I did have to do a Flour touchup around the 4 hour mark. But it’s cheaper than Lancome’s powder and easier to carry. (You get about the same amount of both powders. Lancome just puts theirs in a bigger jar.) And I think Beauty Bakerie has a 15% off promo code available on their site today. 

When I used a mattefying primer on my oily area beneath Flour, it worked even better. LANCôME - Blur & Go Stick and NARS Pore & Shine Control Primer work much better with powder than they do on their own. 

While I’m here again, I’ll recommend one more skin tint: MAKE UP FOR EVER - Ultra HD Perfector Skin Tint Foundation SPF 25 which I tried this summer and absolutely loved. I like it even better than Lancome Skin Feels Good. It adapts better to my skin tones than Skin Feels Good (zero gray or otherwise off-color cast), blurs the lines between my tones without making my whole face one dimensionless shade (so I don’t completely lose my natural built-in highlights and contours), and gives me a natural skin finish. I love this stuff so much, I stocked up on it during MUFE’s 25% off sale. 

I've recently decided that foundation is just not for me and actually often ends up aging me/making my skin look worse so I've been slowly working to perfect this no-makeup look. Especially with it being summer. Currently, I use a primer to even out my skintone and smooth everything. My favorites are the Smashbox Pore Minimizing, Hourglass Veil Mineral and the Origins one that foams (I'm drawing a blank here lol). Then I use NARS soft matte concealer under my eyes, to spot conceal and sometimes down the center of my face and blend with a beauty blender. And cream/liquid products will be your best friend for a really natural, skin-like look. Benefits hoola quickie contour isn't bad, but my favorite cream contour/highlights are either Charlotte Tilbury or the Hourglass Sheer Illume Trio is really great. I haven't found a cream or liquid blush I totally love aside from the one in the hourglass trio. I have oily skin so I VERY lightly set it with a pressed powder at the end. Then if I need some extra oompf I'll apply a powder bronzer/blush/hightlight on top - but usually only when I need it all to last like allllllllllllllllllll day. Top it off with some bronzer in the crease for eyeshadow and you're good to go.

Edit: If I do find myself really feeling like I need more coverage for some reason I use the It Cosemetics CC+. It really blends to look just like your skin only better, and I find that as it fades throughout the day it never looks makeup-y or cakey or separates on my skin. It just kind of... very gradually fades so it stays very natural looking. Everyone's skin is different though, but it's my favorite. I apply it with a brush and really stipple it in, and then go over it with a beauty blender to really fuse it with my skin.

Oh goodness the info! But in a good way. I've heard of some of these products but I've never heard of the NARS soft matte concealer, is it like a creamy consistency? I also have veryyyyyy oilyyyy skin, so, I get where you're coming from. It's good to know that the It cosmetics CC+ gradually fades, I've had makeup that cakes up sooo bad on me because of my skin. Thank you so much for the info!! ❤️

Hi @Beckyzelaya

Not sure if you're still on the hunt for a no makeup makeup look but I am a fan of IT Cosmetics Your Skin But Better CC+ Cream with SPF 50+! It is very light and has good coverage. Works wonders for my skin without clogging my pores!

Best,

Emily

Hi Emily! Yes, I'm still on the hunt for some no makeup makeup looks. I haven't tried that product yet, but I'm curious to try it since it has SPF 50+, I love makeup that have sunscreen in them. Thank you!

Hi @Beckyzelaya,

I have oily skin and my holy grail product for a "no makeup makeup look" is the Laura Mercier Tinted Moisturizer Broad Spectrum SPG 20 - Oil Free. I'm obsessed with this tinted moisturizer because it gives my skin a natural glow! You can find it here > https://www.sephora.com/product/tinted-moisturizer-broad-spectrum-oil-free-P140906. 🙂

Best Regards,

❤️ Raquel

Oh sweet! I also have oily skin, so to get a product without any oils, makes me superrr happy. And the SPF is something I like and look for in makeup. Gotta love the natural looks though! Thank you! ❤️

I second this emotion--it's just short of a miracle when it comes to no makeup makeup!

the oil free one is a little more matte compared to the original version, while the illuminating one looks like a subtle take on a BB.

No makeup makeup look

tata illumination moisturizer is a game changer but sooo expensive. bobbi brown has the best bronzers, especially for tan or darker tones that blends well - i use it as eye shadow as well.
Anonymous Insider

I have a Nars bronzer that I use for eyeshadow too.  It's a great natural look on the eyes.

RE: No makeup makeup look

Dr. Jart Cicapair Tiger grass redness correcting balm. Gives me a great no make up make up look. After applying I use Laura Mercier translucent powder. Makes my skin look like skin but smoother/even. So lightweight as well. Very comfortable on the face.

RE: No makeup makeup look

Recently discovered this myself & love it!

I want to try this stuff too! I keep hearing about it.

I want to try this stuff too! I keep hearing about it.
Conversation Stats
  • 28 replies
  • 68 Hearts Given
  • 16 Contributors
testing