Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Makeup Is Life
Anonymous Insider

I'm new at this...

I'm in high school, and I've only recently started getting into makeup. I'm very athletic so I've never really needed it.  Before I would probably only wear foundation, concealer, and mascara. Now I really want to learn more about cosmetics and beauty. I've also only recently gotten a job, so I don't have a lot of money. Do any of y'all have any cheap makeup products? And I would also like some minimalist makeup looks.

I'm new at this...

I have monolids and the struggle to find makeup that doesn't smudge is ALMOST impossible. I only wear eyeliner, mascara and use a brow pencil. it's all from Sephora but I don't wear makeup every day and and since I'm not re-applying, I save a LOT of money. I've tried so many drugstore brands and it smudged but now I have makeup that doesn't go ANYWHERE. If it's a deal breaker- splurge on Urban Decay eye primer. I use it on humid days and everything stays ON. I use Marc Jacob Highliner Crayon. the black is not matte and is slightly more transferable so I use the dark brown matte version. then I use Stila Stay All Day liquid liner and Anastasia Beverly Hills Brow Wiz. each item is $20, but they also hold so much product compared to drug store too. my monolids say it's worth it!

Re: I'm new at this...

@Anonymous Welcome to the world of Beauty! Revlon Colorstay Is a fantastic drugstore foundation. I recommend it to all my friends that don’t like to (or can’t) spend much on makeup. NYX has an endless collection of affordable lip products, all very well formulated. Morphed brushes are phenomenally priced. When I was younger and jobless I built my makeup collection by asking for gift cards to Sephora, MAC and Ulta for Christmas and birthdays. I also suggest watching beauty tutorials on YouTube to hone you your application skills. 

I'm new at this...

Don't be afraid to try different looks to find one that feels comfortable for you. For me, a minimal look is anchored in great skin and a bold lip (because I like my smile), and then finished with some mascara and brow gel. For someone else the focus might be different depending on what they want to play up. Bobbi Brown has written several books filled with makeup basics and fresh, simple faces that really helped me when I was first learning, so check your library is that appeals to you. I also really like a book called The 5-minute Face by Carmindy. So minimal! Also consider taking a class at Sephora to learn some elevated basics (generally free, though of course you are encouraged to buy the featured products), and search the internet and YouTube for minimal beauty routines to use as inspiration for your own exploration. Finally, try wearing makeup around your house for a day, just for yourself. In addition to helping you become used to seeing yourself in makeup, it gives you a safe space to be bold and try different things without worrying about other people. And the more you practice, the more confident in your own tastes you'll become, which will help you develop your own version of minimal.

I am all about saving money. If you stick to a small sele...

I am all about saving money. If you stick to a small selection of quality makeup, you will actually save. I have liquid foundation, blush, eyeshadow, brow pencil and mascara in my makeup bag. Every once in a while, I will put on lipstick. I am not new to this, and used to keep much more makeup than that. I think if you pick one product to splurge on, it would be foundation with spf in it. I like bare minerals liquid or naked by urban decay.
Anonymous Insider

Re: I am all about saving money. If you stick to a small sele...

You mentioned a brow pencil. That's also something I would like to try. Since middle school, the only things I ever did to my brows were pluck and wax, that was it. So now I'm trying to start doing my brows. Maybe finding a new shape, and start to fill them in? 

Maybe try a brow pencil that is a shade lighter than you...

Maybe try a brow pencil that is a shade lighter than you natural brow color. It will fill in your brows with a softness and not make them look drawn in.
Conversation Stats
  • 6 replies
  • 8 Hearts Given
  • 5 Contributors
testing