Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Makeup Is Life
|

French Beauty

I know k-beauty is all over right now but does anyone know anything about French beauty? Skin care and make up?

Re: French Beauty

I wish there was a specific group for this. This is the beauty/style ethos I learned early on.

Lunarfang, you hit all the notes. I'm eastern European but my ma lived in France as a young woman, and as an adult I've come to realize that she totally instilled a French beauty philosophy in me. The heart of it is twofold: investing in your future—aging gracefully, having practical, dependable products and habits that will benefit you in the long run; and in the now, keeping your look relatively simple by celebrating what you were born with. A few cornerstones of French beauty have started to infiltrate trends in North America over the past two years, for sure.

Some things:

• Misting is big, I'm not into it. I do double-cleanse at night to get all the dirt and makeup gone, moisturize all over day and night, and wear SPF during the day. Skincare is so specific to individual needs, but if you want to look into a French-informed regimen explore ways to simplify + incorporate cleansing and hydration for face, neck and body that keeps your skin happy and well-fed. (I've tried Caudalie products, and they just didn't work for me. But there is a great French product post on Beautyeditor, here: https://beautyeditor.ca/2013/02/05/paris-beauty-products-15-cult-faves-from-the-french-pharmacy-that...)
  • Day makeup is light/sheer, and I follow an either/or rule for accenting eyes and lips: either I do a bold lip and the eyes stay more or less naked-looking, or I do upper lid liner + heavier mascara with a sheer lip colour that is muted or close to my bare lips. The either/or rule is out for night time, but I follow the same palette, with low/no shimmer earth tones for shadow if I use it. Shadow is applied lightly but a little smudgy and I aim for a monochromatic finish, with no more than two blended shades. Multi-use all the way: there's a lot out there, but I like Vapour, RMS and Ilia the most. They make wonderfully blendable products that are formulated to multitask like crazy. I've also heard good things about Absolution and Studio 78 Paris. 
  • Brows: on trend, basically (but no Kardashian/Instagram brows here!). Brush 'em out and/or fill with a very light hand to keep your natural shape, hold in place with gel if you like.
  • Hair: depending on your hair type and texture, easy on the washing and stylingYou might want to rock some dry shampoo and sea spray (French Girl Lavender+Neroli Sea Spray is my fave, no joke) if unwashed hair needs some oomph. French braids and loose chignons are good for bedhead days. Even if you have to dress semi-formally or professionally, there's something great about the combo of a simple but polished makeup look and a slightly loose look for the hair.

This is not beauty per se, but it's almost ubiquitous in a French look: simple, dainty silver or gold jewelry ties it all together. 

Also, I'm a perfume layer-er. I have filled atomizers with favourite scent cocktails that I keep in my purse, but I love applying different complementary scents to different areas of the body. If you're into scent, it's a great way to add another dimension to how you're putting yourself together.

I know this is a late and long reply, but wishing you all the best on this beauty journey as well! And if you Google "French beauty," you'll find many posts and product lists to pore over. Have fun 🙂

RE: French Beauty

French Beauty has its own benefits. You can try Caudilie on Sephora to see how you like it. I appreciate their use of reservatol (grapes) for example. Frankly, I am a big fan of Russian Beauty, K beauty (incl. Japanese) and French as well. Simply because all of them tend to rely on centuries old formulas combined with newest developments in the skin care industry.

French beauty routines tend to focus on minimalism, items that are multi-purpose would be great in this regard, and focusing on the "less is more" mentality. 

Something I've known several french women to do is layering their perfumes, crazy to me at first, but their results were all their own, it's like choosing lingerie, what makes you feel special that day. 

Skin care is honestly something the french have in common with korea. They take their skincare very seriously so they can age gracefully; a day skin cream with SPF in it would not be remiss. It's about enhancing what's there instead of covering up what we have, which has been a western mentality for way too long in my opinion. But make sure you go below the neck!

Micellar water is one of the cornerstones of the French skin-care regimen. It's how they cleanse their skin — no water involved. But if you're a little skittish about ditching your face wash, consider using the micellar water as the first step in a double-cleansing routine.  

As far as a cohesive makeup look goes, do a basic foundation, slip of mascara, a nice red lip (WITH liner), and you'll be feeling the french vibes. 

Hope this all helps in your journey!

4 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 4 replies
  • 20 Hearts Given
  • 5 Contributors
testing