Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Makeup Is Life
|

Everyday products for beginners?

hi! i’m pretty new to makeup and i was wondering for any suggestions for natural looking everyday products that are worth your money. i would love any suggestions but i really would like makeup products for face makeup. thanks!!

For everyday, I use the Drunk Elephant Umbra Tinted moisturizer, and then either my Physicians Formula powder or Bare Minerals blemish prone powder. I love it! I go between Burts Bees mascara and the Pacifica mascara. I used to be obsessed with Sephora burgundy mascara, but they don't make it anymore.

RE: Everyday products for beginners?

I use just a moisturizer + under eye concealer plus mascara. If I want a little more pep I use moisturizer, Tarte BB cream, slight dust of bronzer and blush, and finish it with mascara. I use just a simple creamy lip chap or a tinted lip gloss if I am going out. Takes me <5mins and it is a light fresh look.

RE: Everyday products for beginners?

Also they are all cruelty free products and never tested on animals 🙌🏼

Re: Everyday products for beginners?

Hi! My go-to are tinted moisturizer, lipstick, and brow filler. I'm a fan of  bareMinerals COMPLEXION RESCUE® Tinted Moisturizer with Hyaluronic Acid and Mineral SPF 30 Bamboo 5....Simple to use and natural. I recently started using KAJA - Cushy Vibe High-Pigment Lip Stain.As my everyday lip color. Good luck and have fun!

I don't know about "natural looking" but the mark Jacob's creme lipstick is really good. Doesn't come off easily so if I wipe my mouth by accident I'm not smearing it over my face.

ANYTHING by NUDESTIX! The matte eye pencil in fig is universally gorgous. All can be easily applied or blended with your fingers, no brushes needed.

Cool!  I hope you're enjoying exploring the world of makeup!

To try to help out, I'll speak only to what I know well - eyeliner and mascara.  That's my usual makeup routine (and I fill in my brows).  

My eyeliner recommendations are: URBAN DECAY - 24/7 Glide-On Eye Penciland MARC JACOBS BEAUTY - Highliner Gel Eye Crayon Eyeliner.  I'd leave the color picking up to you.  Urban Decay has tons of colors and Marc Jacobs has a pretty good collection also.  I wear a different Marc Jacobs color just about every day.  It's my daily go-to, but I used to be a huge fan of the 24/7 pencils and have no issue recommending them.  Both are long lasting.  

My mascara recommendations are:  TOO FACED - Better Than Sex MascaraUrban Decay Perversion Volumizing Mascara Standard Size Black - 0.4 oz/ 12 mL, and Lancôme HYPNÔSE DRAMA Instant Full Body Volume Mascara Excessive Black.  I use the Too Faced these days, but I've used both the others and I do like them very much.  I found that I got a bit of fallout with the Lancome but I've learned everyone has different experiences with mascara.  

Pick what works for you and enjoy!  I hope this is helpful.

My favorite for a quick, natural, everyday base is a tinted moisturizer, BB cream, or skin tint. It will even out your skin and tone down minor blemishes while allowing your skin to shine through. Unfortunately the shade range tends to be more limited than you'd find in foundation, but there are a lot of great products out there: MUFE Perfecting Skin Tint, BareMinerals Complexion Rescue, and Dr. Jart+ Premium BB immediately come to mind. I will sometimes - but not always - use a finishing powder afterwards, and I exclusively use the Hourglass Veil powder.

Anonymous Insider

Do you mind if I ask, what is the difference between a BB cream and a foundation? It may be a silly question. 

@Anonymous 

A BB cream is more like a tinted moisturizer so it provides light coverage. A foundation is meant to provide more coverage.

Anonymous Insider

Ah ok. So a BB cream or tinted moisturizer would be a better choice for a more everyday natural makeup look. Thank you! 

@Anonymous Sorry, I should have explained the difference! In my experience, a skin tint will provide the least amount of coverage. This is great for days when you're feeling good about your skin and want some very light enhancement. The formula is often thin enough that you can apply it with your fingers. Tinted moisturizers and BB creams provide about the same level of coverage, but that will vary across brand. 

Anonymous Insider

Thank you so much! I recently got color matched and got my foundation but I'll definitely be looking into getting a bb cream for those more relaxed, good skin days. 

@Zoe2200 I love natural looking/everyday products.  Here are my makeup go to:

GUERLAIN - Terracotta Bronzing Powder

Chaintecaille Emotion blush

Urban Decay Naked Reloaded Eyeshadow Palette

BECCA - Shimmering Skin Perfector® Pressed Highlighter - Champagne Pop

PAT McGRATH LABS LUST: Lip Gloss Flesh Fantasy

Thanks for being a #BECCABeauty! xo

Hi @Zoe2200 !  What an exciting and fun time for you!  There are a ton of great products on site here, and it can get overwhelming trying to choose some.

The first makeup brand I ever used (and apparently a lot of other people chose them also,) is Bareminerals.  Their products usually don't cause allergic reactions, are nicely priced, and look good!  I'll make a few suggestions for some basics that I've used and still like.

I do have their Complexion Rescue Tinted Moisturizer, and it's very easy to apply (plus it has an spf of 30!)  I think it makes the skin look pretty.

https://www.sephora.com/product/complexion-rescue-tinted-hydrating-gel-cream-P393356?icid2=products%...

Their Original Loose Powder Mineral Foundation is also really nice.  Lately I've complimented a couple of my friends on how nice their skin looked, and this is what they were wearing!  If your skin is oily, I'd recommend this over the tinted moisturizer.

https://www.sephora.com/product/bareminerals-original-foundation-broad-spectrum-spf-15-P61003?icid2=...

Bareminerals has a few different blushes, one called Ready Blush and one called Gen Nude Powder Blush, that are both in compacts.  The Ready Blush didn't stay on my skin very long, and the shades of the Gen Nude weren't good for me, but you may like those.  My favoriteis the original loose powder Bareminerals Blush. The shades Beauty and Hint are soft and work with a lot of complexions. I've owned (and probably still do own, somewhere,) both of these.

https://www.sephora.com/product/bareminerals-blush-P61009?icid2=products%20grid:p61009:product

Their Lash Domination Volume mascara is great.

https://www.sephora.com/product/revamped-lash-domination-volumizing-mascara-P380816?icid2=products%2...

I have three of their Gen Nue Eyeshadow Palettes, and I am so impressed with the formula! No fallout, creamy, applies smoothly.  One of these would give you a good start for your eye shadow collection and enough variety for a little fun.

https://www.sephora.com/product/gen-nude-eyeshadow-palette-P431110?icid2=products%20grid:p431110:pro...

Last, but not least, here's an idea for a lip product.  The Gen Nude Buttercream lip glosses are light but still have a good bit of tint and are moisturizing.  I have the shade Heartbreaker. but if you're not used to using lip color, you may want to start with a lighter shade, like Groovy or Forbidden.

https://www.sephora.com/product/gen-nude-buttercream-lipgloss-P410250?icid2=products%20grid:p410250:...

Have fun!

RE: Re: Everyday products for beginners?

thank you sooooo much!! this was very helpful!

Re: RE: Re: Everyday products for beginners?

@Zoe2200   You're welcome!  Enjoy the process!

@Zoe2200  My suggestion is a universal palette like Urban Decay Naked Reloaded Eyeshadow Palette

its good for casual makeup days and good for nights out really anytime of day. I like a good highlighter like BECCA - Shimmering Skin Perfector® Pressed Highlighter - Opal

i use it every day. I always like to have eye shadow on and a highlighter. Sometimes I like to add some blush depends on how much makeup I want to put on. 

We're thrilled to hear you love your Becca - Shimmering Skin Perfector Pressed Highlighter in Opal! We love our #BECCABeauties! xo 

Conversation Stats
  • 20 replies
  • 34 Hearts Given
  • 14 Contributors
Photos1
testing