Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Makeup Is Life
|

Best Minimalist Face Base

Alright guys! Let's get this minimalist group started, shall we?

Today's subject: Minimalist bases

What are your favorite base products to use when you're not feeling a lot of coverage? Foregoing a base? What about a spot concealer then?

My favorite combo on a minimal day:

• Hourglass Veil Mineral Primer to blur and slightly mattify my post-skincare/sunscreen sheen
  • UD One & Done - this gives me juuuust enough coverage to feel comfortable most of the day. 
  • NARS Radiant Creamy Concealer to spot conceal. I'm prone to dark spots and the occasional clogged pore so sometimes I just need a little extra something
  • Bonus: If I haven't slept I'll dab a tiny bit of Innisfree My Color Corrector in Peach under my eyes to brighten them!

Your turn!

Re: Best Minimalist Face Base

Honestly, I never wear foundation.  I may or may not wear primer, depending on the day, then go in with my Kat Von D Lock-it Concealer Creme in L1 under my eyes, on the scar on my cheek, and any spots I may have.  I set, but only a tiny amount as I have dry skin.  I either use the MUFE Ultra HD Microfinishing Loose Powder or the E.L.F. HD Loose Powder in Sheer.

Anonymous Insider

RE: Best Minimalist Face Base

I usually use nars radiant creamy concealer to spot conceal almost everyday under my eyes and in places with acne and/or redness.

Moisturizer in the AM (Cetaphil)

Sunscreen

Maybelline Fit Me foundation

Some concealer (whatever I feel like for the day to brighten- usually Maybelline)

Some Tarte blush just so I don't look dead (with the concealer and all)

Oh and some nude liner with mascara

RE: Best Minimalist Face Base

Last weekend I met my friends for Sunday brunch and I laughed that it took me longer to do a natural 'no makeup' look than if I did a full face of foundation. Generally I always start with moisturizer with at least SPF 30. Then I like to use NARS Radiant Tinted Moisturizer and MUFE Ultra HD Concealer. I also like to add Glossier Cloud Paint gel blush for a bit of pink to the cheeks. Then a dust of Laura Mercier translucent powder.

I've been forgoing foundation a lot more often lately. Before a night out, I may put on some concealer (usually Shape Tape), but lately I've found that capping off my skincare routine in the morning with First Aid Beauty's Coconut Primer is enough to make me feel confident with my skin. The reviews make this stuff seem like it'll give you disco-ball face, but I haven't found that to be true at all!  Instead, it leaves this radiant finish that reminds me a little of one of Lisa Eldridge's videos after she returned from Korea, where she tried to replicate their concept of "gwang." 

http://www.sephora.com/hello-fab-coconut-skin-smoothie-priming-moisturizer-P415237

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OAHNuE3Nw0

@greenporchlights,  

Thank you for this link to the Linda Etheridge video.  I found it very interesting! 

I feel inspired by you to try the FAB Coconut Primer.  🙂

minimal face base day for me today !

NARS velvet matte skin tint. just a pea size. i find a little goes a long way, which is good because if i use too much the product doesn't set. 

SHISEIDO the powder makeup. on my nose / chin.

I never wear full coverage foundation, I can't stand anything heavy! I'm a big fan of the UD one and done, and I also like the NARS velvet matte skin tint. If I need extra coverage I'll use the too faced born this way concealer.  I'm using the UD naked loose powder now too and I like it!

i'm a minimalist for sure - for some reason, foundation completely scares me off.

everyday routine: first moisturize with sunday riley's c.e.o. and then throw on a sunscreen/primer combo. my current fav. is coola's daydream mineral primer (spf 30). then i sweep on some tarte smooth operator tinted pressed finishing powder. this stuff keeps me matte but not dry all day long. (even lasts through an after work workout, which is ridiculous)

occasionally i'll use nars matte concealer if needed, although i'm not sure i got the right shade. it might also be too drying for me, so i might need to check out the radiant concealer instead...? anyone used both that might shed some light?

RE: Re: Best Minimalist Face Base

If you like a cream concealer try the Becca ultimate coverage. You only need the tiniest bit. If you like a rich, creamy liquid try the Tarte maracuja creaseless or the Too Faced born this way for a super thin liquid!

I am loving Erborian Glow Creme for primer lately because it adds radiance without accentuating pores. Alternate is Becca First Light Priming Filter, it has a similar effect but is a tad more hydrating.

Then I have a few different things I go to for coverage:

• Glossier Skin Tint - basically nothing but makes me feel less naked
  • Erborian CC Creme - evens out skin tone but leaves some imperfections
  • Bobbi Brown Skin Foundation Stick - easy to use but has decent coverage

I'm using the Glossier Stretch Concealer to spot conceal (if I bother).

My minimalist days are on the weekend.  I'm usually doing stuff around the house, so no need to do a full face, unless there are specific plans to be seen lol.  I like to mix a drop or two of Cover FX Custom Drops in with my moisturizer and that's it.  I'll pencil in my brows, because otherwise I have none and a coat of mascara.  That's it.  

I love the UD One & Done. It's one of the few tinted moisturizers/correctors/BB/CC types that do not break me out. I use the Clinique Mineral 50 SPF and the UD One & Done.

I've been loving the Becca First Light Priming Filter in combination with Guerlain Lingerie de Peau Fluide foundation (I wear the shade 03N). Effortless to apply, and looks oh-so-natural on the skin. Sometimes if I have time I'll add the NARS Radiant Creamy Concealer in Custard both as a spot concealer and under the eyes... but that is no longer really "minimalist" for me. And then I always set with the NARS pressed translucent powder; it's a staple for me and I've been using it for 4-5 years now. 

On most days I don't usually wear foundation, but I do wear concealer. I use the este lauder double wear concealer, which is light weight and provides coverage for those days you don't feel like wearing makeup; I pair it up with the benefit hoola bronzer, which looks very natural on my olive skin and a peachy blush.

I've been doing a minimal face a lot recently.

moisturizer

sunscreen

foundation

concealer

mascara

i've been liking the natural look with some popping lashes 🙂

sometimes less is more.

I also will add in a moisturizer when I want some coverage from my foundation, but not as much as normal. But lately I have been on a kick of going "foundation" free where instead of a foundation, I just use a primer and go about my day. The primer that inspired this is the Urban Decay Optical Illusion primer. For the most part, I just have all-over face redness to deal with, so this primer decreases my redness while still letting my freckles shine through. If I feel like it, I'll add a MLBB/nude lip color to make myself look more done-up than I actually am. The best part? It takes less than 5 minutes to get ready in the morning! 🙂

In the summer, I'll usually wear sunscreen (shiseido Urban Environment) to Mattifiying & smooth out my skin. Then I use Bobbi Brown peach corrector under the eyes and Armani High Precision around my nose & any other red areas. 

If I'm not going to be outside, I'll use the HG primer instead of sunscreen.

My minimalist base which is almost always my regular base as well is either Nars Radiant tinted moisturizer or a drop of cover Fx custom cover drops mixed in my moisturizer. For concealer I use Sephora bright future serum concealer and if I'm going out, I set it with RCMA no Color powder and that's it .

My current favorite combo is the NARS Hydrating Glow Tint + The Ordinary Serum Foundation! I'm obsessed with the two of them together.

I've also been enjoying just using the Glossier concealer where I need it, the MILK lip & cheek stick, Browfood Brow Gel, and the Clinique chubby highlight stick. That's my natural weekend face haha

I'm so jealous you had a Glow Tint shade that matched you 😭

Conversation Stats
Photos8
  • Net to nothing.JPG
testing