Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Makeup Is Life
|

what are basic makeup must HAVES!

I am in need of all the basics feel free to include skin care and must-haves in your makeup collection. I am also in college so the cheaper the better! 

Re: what are basic makeup must HAVES!

Hi @ariiromo, there are a lot of options available for great skincare and makeup at excellent price points. 

MAKEUP - while I do like makeup, I don't wear it that much these days so when it comes to makeup so the basics for me will probably be very minimal:

Foundation: I tend to use a tinted moisturizer or concealer these days. Rare Beauty by Selena Gomez Liquid Touch Brightening Concealer is a nice one as  concealer or foundation. If you are looking for both, her foundation is also very good but I can't seem to tag it at the moment - Rare Beauty by Selena Gomez Liquid Touch Weightless Foundation. If your skin is on the dry side, LYS Beauty Triple Fix Serum Foundation LN6 (I can't seem to tag the general product) is a good one. 

Lip product: The Sephora Collection has a ton of lipsticks / glosses / balms to choose from; the #lipstories collection (lipstick and lip balms) are among my favorites and depending on which formula you choose, can double as a blush. MAC also makes some great lipsticks and was my go to for lippies when I was in college.

Mascara: I tend to buy mini's of mascaras because I can't get through them. My faves at the moment are ILIA Mini Limitless Lash Lengthening Mascara After Midnight (great for sensitive eyes); Wander Beauty Mile High Club Mascara Jet Black (if they made a mini, I'd be all over it); tarte Mini Big Ego Mascara 0.15 oz/ 4.5 mL (which I received as gratis). If you love mascara, Sephora Favorites Lashstash To Go is a great way to try different mascaras. It's $28 but it includes a voucher for use to redeem a full size of any one of the mascaras in that set at no extra cost. A really good deal. This current version includes the Ilia mascara.

SKINCARE - cleanser(s), moisturizer and SPF are what I consider basic skincare essentials. 

Cleansers: if you're wearing SPF and makeup, I'd recommend a double cleanse routine in the evening. If you cleans in the morning, the second cleanser in that double cleanse routine can be used for the morning cleanse. Both of these items are $10 each and work beautifully.  

Moisturizer: this will depend on your skin type. I'll try to recommend products under $20:

• Normal, oily, combination - The Ordinary Natural Moisturizing Factors + HA; or SEPHORA COLLECTION All Day Hydrator - Hydrate & Glow; or if oily, SEPHORA COLLECTION Super Matte Moisturizer 1.69 fl oz/ 50 mL 
  • Dry skin - SEPHORA COLLECTION Nourishing Moisturizer - Hydrate & Repair 1.69oz/ 50mL - I have dry to very dry skin; this works for me as a serum before my moisturizer, but this might be a good one someone with dry skin and age range

SPF: A little harder for me to pick something that isn't a little on the pricey side. I prefer physical / mineral sunscreens and right now, am enjoying Saie Sunvisor Radiant Moisturizing Face Sunscreen SPF 35 1.35 oz/ 40 mL. Chemical sunscreens I like are Supergoop! Unseen Sunscreen Invisible Broad Spectrum SPF 40 PA +++ 1.7 oz/ 50 mL and innisfree Daily UV Defense Sunscreen SPF 36 1.69 oz/ 50 mL.

Viseart Warm EDIT Eyeshadow Palette is one of my favorites. It’s compact and travel friendly, it’s the perfect size to try out a bunch of great colors, and the quality is superb. If you prefer cooler tones Viseart Rosé EDIT Eyeshadow Palette or Viseart Paris EDIT Eyeshadow Palette . They also have another warm palette Viseart Minxette Eyeshadow Palette but I prefer the one I mentioned above.

Hi!! @ariiromo 

I've heard great things about the Huda Beauty Nude pallet, which is about $30. I am planning on buying it soon. 

Colourpop (available at Ulta) is a pretty good brand too. I have the Pretty Fresh foundation from them as well as the Wild Nothing eyeshadow pallet and they're both great! 

@ariiromo , a multitasking item, for monochrome looks

Tower 28 Beauty BeachPlease Lip + Cheek Cream Blush Power Hour 

MILK MAKEUP Lip + Cheek 

Also, check out products from Sephora's own collection like their liquid lips and their lipstories.

SEPHORA COLLECTION Brow Shaper Pencil - Waterproof 

SEPHORA COLLECTION Astrology Lip Stories Lipstick 96 Scorpio 

SEPHORA COLLECTION Cream Lip Stain Liquid Lipstick 01 Always Red 

One product that I always have in my kit is Painterly Paint Pot from MAC. It is just a gorgeous base for eyeshadow. 

awesome thank you so much added to my wish list!

@ariiromo --

My makeup needs at 50-something are different than yours I'm sure, but Bareminerals Rescue Gel Cream is very nice for any age and has SPF. I'm loving L'oreal's Bambi Eye mascara, and my fave pencil liners are from Urban Decay, but Sephora Collection liners are a close second and more affordable. 

There's a little kit from Rare beauty that has a sweet liquid blush mini (lots in there) and a lovely mini balm that has a hint of tint-- I don't think this kit would work if you have very deep skin, but light to medium, definitely. 

This was so helpful thank you so much.

@ariiromo 

For skin, a simple cleanser that doesn't strip, like First Aid Beauty's or Fresh Soy Face wash; a moisturizer that can double as eye cream, like Clinique's (below), and maybe a blemish stick like Burt's Bee's Herbal Blemish roll on. if your skin is dry, switch to the thicker Clinique cream or throw in an inexpensive essence to be used first, like ELF's Hydrating water essence. 

Yes ! Thank you so much added all of these to my wish list!

Conversation Stats
  • 10 replies
  • 14 Hearts Given
  • 7 Contributors
testing