Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Makeup Is Life
|
Anonymous Insider

Vsiting Sephora from Australia! How to make the most of my shopping experience?

Hi everybody! I'll be visiting the US in July and I want to drop some $$$ at Sephora in NYC! I'm wondering if any of you could help a girl out?

1. I'm considering the stores at Times Square, or 5th Avenue. Which would you recommend out of these?

2. Which products are MUST HAVES for a girl who needs the basics?

3. How can I maximise my shopping experience? Can the staff help me pick out the best foundation, primer, treatment etc for my skin?

I live quite isolated in Australia so this is my chance to make the most of my trip to NYC! Thanks in advance!

Tags:

Re: Vsiting Sephora from Australia! How to make the most of my shopping experience?

@Anonymous I'm excited for you!  Have a fantastic time.  A lot of my suggestions were already covered, but this wasn't.  Look for your perfect nude lip and statement lip.  It's nice to have one of each.  A RED lipstick can do so much for your look.  I worked up the courage and found I love it.  Lipsticks, whatever formulation you like, are vital!

Re: Vsiting Sephora from Australia! How to make the most of my shopping experience?

@Anonymous I hope you have a great trip!

I prefer the Sephora on 5th Ave to the sephora in time square. Both are busy but I feel like the 5th avenue one is slightly less crazy. If you are going to be in herald square (like for Macys) there is a newer sephora there as well which I have found very nice. The staff can absolutely help you. Just some advice though, the NYC stores are busy so you need to be assertive. Standing there waiting for someone to notice you just isn't going to work so you'll need to actually approach if you want help. They are all really nice and helpful once you ask!

Making a list of what you are interested in is deff the way to go! In particular I would suggest checking out brands you can't get from Sephora Australia. I highly recommend the brand hourglass; they have excellent quality face powders, blushes and bronzers! Also Nars. They have a new face palette that is super amazing - i'm obsessed with it!!!

Also totally unrelated to makeup and I'm sure you have your trip planned but if you haven't scheduled the Top of the World Trade center as part of your trip I highly recommend it. I was there over the weekend with a friend who is staying with us and it's really unparalleled. 

Anonymous Insider

Thanks so much @Kim888! I'm way too excited!

I'll definitely see if I can try a different store to Times Square, thanks for the recommendation. I'll definitely ask for help if I need it. I am a bit nervous about maybe getting a sales assistant that might not be super nice (I have social anxiety so I love over the top, friendly sales assistants.

Yes, my wishlist is already over $2k haha, great idea about brands that I can't get in Australia. I'll check out Hourglass and look  up that Nars palette, thank you!

I'm all for suggestions! I think we have the WTC on our list, but let's face it - Sephora is going to be the highlight of my time in NYC haha. Are there any other amazing shopping or food experiences in NYC that you'd recommend?

@Anonymous I always recommend doing a Broadway show. You can get pretty good prices at TKTS and live shows are such a great experience! I saw book of Mormon the other day and it was really good (although a bit vulgar if you are with your family).  If you do Broadway check out John's pizza for dinner. Although the original is downtown there is one on 44th and 8th so it's convenient for dinner before or after a show and I've always found to be a great NY pizza experience without being super expensive! Plus then you'll get your time square experience without devoting an entire afternoon to it. 

Downtown Brooklyn is a really great experience. From the promenade you'll have great views of the city and there are so many good places to eat and cute brownstones there to check out and park and bike paths. It's only 1-2 stops out of Manhattan on the subway and there's actually some good shopping there as well (including a sephora haha)

All of the museums and the top of the rock are of course a good experience as well. Definitely do a rooftop bar while you are here. They are always a good opportunity for lovely views and slightly over priced cocktails lol. If you are in the midtown area Salvation Taco is a great one and you'll have a really nice view of the empire state building. Rare rooftop (there are two locations) is nice as well. Not sure where your hotel is located and such but close to Bryant park/Grand Central Zuma is really good for sushi. 

Hello @Anonymous! I’m very excited for you to be visiting your first Sephora store! The experience will be like a kid in a candy store and hopefully not overwhelming. You should definitely have staff help you out with finding products, recommendations and color matching if needed so that you don’t spend too much time on that. As for the basics, I would recommend you pick up a moisturizer, primer, foundation, brow product, highlight and eyeshadow palette! If you are looking for specific product recommendations, just let me know what your skin type is and what your concerns are so I can give you some personal recommendations ☺️

Anonymous Insider

Thank you so much for replying @gonerogue! Great basics list, thank you. I'm keen to get recommendations from staff.

6 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 6 replies
  • 12 Hearts Given
  • 4 Contributors
testing